Dog Wrangler
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I do need MORE storage w/in reach of the driver/passenger.
Genuinely curious what all people are needing within reach of driver/passenger?
I've heard some examples but I really don't understand the need for a ratchet strap to be within reach and why a small toolbag in the tunnel, trunk or frunk can't handle most if not all of these items for most people.

As a family of 7, we somehow never have any issues of storage in our vehicle in the day to day or long distance travel and I don't see that changing in the R1S because we don't have a glovebox.

Where we store things now (Navigator and Pacifica)
Driver/Passenger Reach
Glove Box: Registration and manual.​
Mid console: Tylenol, baby wipes, tissue box, charging cables, gum, too many pens, sunglasses​
Drivers Door: Knife, Pliers, USB adapter for Dewalt Battery​
Passenger Door: Lotion, bug spray, sunscreen​

Trunk
Tool bag (w/ med kit, battery jumper, oil filter, oil, duct tape, gloves, wrench set, seafoam, bungee straps, ratchet straps, water bottle, granola bars, tire patch kit, 2" ball hitch, vise grips and some other random stuff), battery powered compressor, extra blankets.​

GringoFeo

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I've heard some examples but I really don't understand the need for a ratchet strap to be within reach and why a small toolbag in the tunnel, trunk or frunk can't handle most if not all of these items for most people.

As a family of 7, we somehow never have any issues of storage in our vehicle in the day to day or long distance travel and I don't see that changing in the R1S because we don't have a glovebox.

Driver/Passenger Reach
Mid console: Tylenol, baby wipes, tissue box, charging cables, gum, too many pens, sunglasses​

Trunk
Tool bag (w/ med kit, battery jumper, oil filter, oil, duct tape, gloves, wrench set, seafoam, bungee straps, ratchet straps, water bottle, granola bars, tire patch kit, 2" ball hitch, vise grips and some other random stuff), battery powered compressor, extra blankets.​
Gum? Sunglasses? Somewhere to set my keys and my wallet? When I'm sitting in the truck I have 1 place to put things and that's ONLY if I'm not charging my phone -_-

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Sunglasses go under my seat. Phone on the charging pad. My wallet is just cards so it's an RFID wallet in my front pocket, stays there. Paperwork in the center console. Water bottle in the door, center floor area, or cup holders depending on size.

Tools and other such accoutrement go in the frunk or under the rear seat. Gear tunnel for now holds my extra crossbars and max trax that come out when I go offroading (parking garage is short so i don't keep it all on all the time).

Nothing else I need to carry on the regular. Always blows my mind that people individually (I understand the family dynamic) feel like they need to carry everything not nailed down with them at all times. If you feel that ill-prepared for unlikely event X, carry the equivalent of a bug out bag in the frunk. If it's big enough for people to survive an apocalypse for days/weeks, it should be plenty big for your 5 mile jaunt to the grocery store.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s

Driver/Passenger Reach

Trunk
While there is a decent volume of cabin storage in the R1, in my opinion it is very poorly executed. Most of the stuff you would need in cabin is small, so you want wide and shallow storage with good visibility. In the R1, the storage is deep, hard to reach into, and nearly impossible to see. The door storage is awful because it is completely recessed so you can't see the bottom, and the pull out panels are very stiff. Also because the bottoms are relatively flat, small stuff rolls around in it making unwanted noise in an otherwise quiet vehicle. The center console isn't per se terrible, except there is nowhere good for small stuff like pens, cables, parking cards, chapstick, etc., which meant I bought one of the trays that sits at the top, thereby making the storage underneath inaccessible unless at a complete stop. The storage in the seats is good for glasses, but if you have glasses in there you can't put anything else.

What I am missing most is a place to store the stuff I used to keep in the glove compartment: napkins, wet wipes and extra straws. Now they just sit on the tray below the center screen and make the truck look junky. The straws I can obviously do without, but napkins and wet wipes are critical with 3 kids under 11 in the back, and I hate how sloppy it looks just having those sitting out either on the passenger seat or the tray.

The other thing I am missing from my Ram (and every other vehicle I have ever owned) are cupholders. I can't remember the last vehicle I owned that didn't have a molded holder in each door to keep water bottles in. Its a huge oversight on an outdoor activity vehicle not to have multiple spaces for water bottles, and for the 2 cupholders in the front to be so poorly designed for most water bottles.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Driver/Passenger Reach

Trunk
It’s not so much that it needs to be within drivers reach. For me, I’m just plain out of room. There’s no room in my frunk, spare tire well, nor my gear tunnel for it.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I find it interesting that people that drive a rivian still use a paper copy of insurance. Don’t you have it on your phone? At least in Washington this is legal. I have it on my insurance app and I have it in apple wallet.

Plus last time I got pulled over I wasn’t asked for registration. Now cops have everything on the car before they come to your window. If my ID matches the registration that they already looked up then they haven’t asked for it.

I think if you drive a rivian cops will pull you over because: 1-we all drive it like a sports car, 2-it’s cool to look at and you may have to open your gear tunnel to show it off.

I have had my R1T for 4 month still and haven’t been pulled over and I am genuinely surprised. I really do drive with FUN in mind.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Sunglasses go under my seat.
Why do I want something I wear on my face under the seat? I'd love to just have it up on the headliner where it's used.

I find it interesting that people that drive a rivian still use a paper copy of insurance. Don’t you have it on your phone? At least in Washington this is legal. I have it on my insurance app and I have it in apple wallet.
No way in hell I'm handing a cop my phone, that's why.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I covered this in another thread where sunglasses storage got argued for far too long, but I will restate why:

I put them on when I get in. I take them off when I get out. It is extremely rare that I am driving across the dusk boundary so almost never have to change them while driving. For this purpose it works perfectly fine for me.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I'm with you! I never realized how much I needed/used my glove compartment before. And I don't need it in the same space as usual, but I do need MORE storage w/in reach of the driver/passenger. There is a lot of storage in the truck, just not w/in reach :(
I proposed an accessory glove box which takes the place of the camp speaker https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/camp-speaker-pos.8745/post-213866

I mentioned the importance of storage that’s within reach after that https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/camp-speaker-pos.8745/post-214033

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
1. Not legal in every state, afaik.
2. I think it’s crazy to willingly hand your phone to a cop without a warrant.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
don't forget a glove box can be helpful when you need to skip out on your bar tab at Bob's Country Bunker...

Sponsored