Why are you buying your Rivian?

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
Wife and I have wanted a truck for twenty years, but wife said no way she would buy that much gas. Currently having a midlife crisis and wanting a sports car for that get-up-and-go. Have also wanted to go electric, but it was not really functional for the distances we were driving (200-300 mile trips) and the amount of backwoods driving we do to get to trailheads and the like. Rivian checks all the boxes. Wife rolls her eyes now when anyone asks me to talk about this truck because they just walked into the lecture hall.
I happily refer to my R1T preorder as my "midlife crisis."

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
That's a pretty decent sized [(just installed 14.1 Kw solar array last year)] array for a domestic setup, shouldn't be any issues charging an EV with that!
Don't be so sure. I have a 13.9 kW array and it has never produced that much power. It has produced 95% of that but only for a couple of minutes around apparent noon near the solstice (I've been getting 12.6 from it around noon the last couple of days). Such is the nature of solar. Keep in mind that your Rivian will pull 11.5 kW when it is charging. This is what a charging recent charging session using that 13.9 kW system looked like with the car only pulling 7 kW on a sunny day.

Untitled 3.jpeg

People tend to have unrealistic expectations about solar. Yes, it covers half my electric bill and that's great but it does have its limitations. I live in a mesic mid latitude location (Virginia) so clearly there are places where more sun is available in the course of a year but there are also places where there is less.

Last edited: