Sponsored

Where does the front license plate get mounted?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Well, you live in SoCal. I'd ask CHP and see what they say... I'm sure it's A fine! :)
Fixed that for you.

I saw pictures somewhere where the plate was mounted to the black piece between the tow hooks. Never saw a picture of a bracket or anything, but it looked pretty clean. Just glad my state doesn't require them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Lived in California my whole life and haven't have a front plate on any car since 2006.

My Mini doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.
I asked the dealer to let me do that at home.

My Volvo doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.

My Rav4E didn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Tesla Model X doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

I sure as heck hope my Rivian R1T doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
I expect it to come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would required drilling holes into the bumper.
I have a box at home that I plan to put it in.
Wow, you are really lazy! ;)

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I haven't seen front license in plate in most Teslas, my neighborhood is pretty much filled with Model 3/Y and most of them don't have front license plate.
https://www.pe.com/2021/03/09/missing-your-front-license-plate-you-can-be-cited-even-on-a-tesla/
Q: Roger Recupero of Pomona reported that all the Tesla cars he and his wife have seen out and about are missing a front license plate. ā€œWe keep seeing more and more of them around town and on the road. The last time I checked, California required both front and rear license plates. Does Tesla have a special agreement that exempts them from the law?ā€ Recupero asked.

A: Nope, Tesla owners are not exempt from Californiaā€™s law that requires a front and rear license plate. So whatā€™s going on here? After reading several Tesla blogs online and doing a little research about this issue, it appears that many Tesla owners do not put a front license plate on their Tesla, because, well ā€¦ they just donā€™t want to. This might seem like a minor issue to some people, and itā€™s not law enforcementā€™s most pressing concern, but the front license plate issue is indeed a ā€œthingā€ among owners of high-end luxury cars who feel that attaching the front plate will ruin the carā€™s sleek or stylish appearance. They often have to purchase a mounting part to attach the front license plate to the vehicle.

The law requiring a front license plate was enacted in California and many other states in the interest of public safety ā€“ it helps law enforcement officers quickly identify vehicles from the front and back ā€“ but several other states donā€™t require the front license plate. Any Tesla driver missing their front plate in California could receive a citation.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

Sponsored

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

That's not terrible. Indeed located about where I suspected. If you center the plate vertically along that horizontal tow-hook-axis, it looks better than I feared.
Yeah, it's totally fine. I generally hate the impact of front plates on my cars and always adamantly instruct the dealership NOT to drill my front bumper to install a plate mount, but I'm totally fine with the placement on this vehicle.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Lived in California my whole life and haven't have a front plate on any car since 2006.

My Mini doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Volvo doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Rav4E didn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Tesla Model X doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

I sure as heck hope my Rivian R1T doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
I expect it to come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would required drilling holes into the bumper.
I have a box at home that I plan to put it in.
Guess who getting a fix it ticket for their front plateā€¦way to jinx yourself!

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
That's not terrible. Indeed located about where I suspected. If you center the plate vertically along that horizontal tow-hook-axis, it looks better than I feared.

Agree, I don't think it looks too bad down low. Still, I'm going to put it off as long as possible.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Massachusetts has a nominal fine if you get pulled over for something else. The police almost never write them thoughā€¦.
The big problem in MA is you get nailed during required annual inspection. The Boston Porsche dealer got in big trouble for ignoring the front plate requirement or taping them up temporarilyā€¦

Iā€™d look to the Porsche ownerā€™s club for creative ways to mount the front plate without screwsā€¦

HKMiller

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y and Porsche Macan
Occupation
Marketing
We live in CO and are also required to have a front license plate. We have a Tesla Model Y and we had one of these made -- works like a charm. https://customlicenseplates.us/
Looks great and while not totally clear if it's considered legal it's never given us an issue.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Guess who getting a fix it ticket for their front plateā€¦way to jinx yourself!
Funny thing is, in those 16 years of front-plate-free cars, I *have* gotten pulled over for speeding 3 times.

2 resulted in a speeding ticket, one let off with a warning.

None mentioned the lack of front plate.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I have not had a front plate in a zillion years. Once an anal CHP gave me a ticket and went to town on my car, no. front plate, too much tint, etc. all were fix it tickets. A royal pain in the butt.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Iā€˜m planning to install a winch. Iā€™ll use a winch fairlead mount to install a plate.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Iā€˜m planning to install a winch. Iā€™ll use a winch fairlead mount to install a plate.
Don't want to hi-jack this thread but VERY curious about your plans to install a winch. Perhaps start a new thread outlining your plan? I was wondering the same thing as I've watched all the videos of the r1t in Colorado...

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Well, you live in SoCal. I'd ask CHP and see what they say... I'm sure it's fine! :)

Nobody likes front plates. I (almost) cried when I had to put one on my old convertible 911. But the thing that stuck out to me in looking at the photos is that it seems like it was literally designed without the option of cleanly mounting one anywhere.

Maybe just put it in a big ziploc bag and keep it on the dashboard?
Oh good idea. The CHP would be happy to write you a ticket for it. They do all the time.
Sponsored