Sponsored

Where does the front license plate get mounted?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Maybe the wrong forum to post this but... currently doesn't look like Rivian gave too much consideration for the front plate, so I guess this will be a mod? Ha.

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? 1635273044412

This recent photo taken in the wilds of California (where it is illegal to run without a front plate) obviously shows no plate. And the more I look at the front, I can't see the obvious place to mount it.

I'm guessing there will be two future screw holes in the middle of the tow hooks but it appears as though it's going to hang down and stick out below the skid plate at that height. (Yuck.) Can't go higher because you'd block the air intake above.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Maybe the wrong forum to post this but...
You asked, “Where does the front license plate get mounted?”
Is, “On my garage wall.” an option?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hopefully they will at least have a nice molded bracket similar to this:
Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? license-plate-bracket-

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
You asked, “Where does the front license plate get mounted?”
Is, “On my garage wall.” an option?
Well, you live in SoCal. I'd ask CHP and see what they say... I'm sure it's fine! :)

Nobody likes front plates. I (almost) cried when I had to put one on my old convertible 911. But the thing that stuck out to me in looking at the photos is that it seems like it was literally designed without the option of cleanly mounting one anywhere.

Maybe just put it in a big ziploc bag and keep it on the dashboard?

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Well, you live in SoCal. I'd ask CHP and see what they say... I'm sure it's fine! :)

Nobody likes front plates. I (almost) cried when I had to put one on my old convertible 911. But the thing that stuck out to me in looking at the photos is that it seems like it was literally designed without the option of cleanly mounting one anywhere.

Maybe just put it in a big ziploc bag and keep it on the dashboard?

Include a broken screw in the bag as well. Then if you get pulled over just say it just broke and you haven't had time to reppace it.

Hopefully they won't check for screwholes.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Ugh, I live in CA also. Really don't want to install it in the front. Is that a warning only from chp or a ticket?

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Ugh, I live in CA also. Really don't want to install it in the front. Is that a warning only from chp or a ticket?
Probably depends on what you look like.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
$196 according to Google search result. Not cheap.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Lived in California my whole life and haven't have a front plate on any car since 2006.

My Mini doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.
I asked the dealer to let me do that at home.

My Volvo doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.

My Rav4E didn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Tesla Model X doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

I sure as heck hope my Rivian R1T doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
I expect it to come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.
I have a box at home that I plan to put it in.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Colorado requires a front plate. Lots of people here don’t have one, but most the time you will get ticketed for it if they pull you over for something else. I usually put them on my vehicles for two reasons. First I think it actually is a good idea as there are far too many incidents where a front plate works to hold people accountable via surveillance video or the plate actually coming off at a crash (hit and run) scene. The other reason is because if I park downtown at any city meters or lots, the meter maids will gladly write a ticket for not having the plate.

For the R1T, I’m assuming a plate mount that would attach between the tow hooks and do its best to not obstruct the vent. The plate holder we have on our Model Y attaches through the front grille vent opening and doesn’t obstruct anything. No drilling or messing up paint or anything else on the car and quick and easy to put on or off.

Our Model X came with a crappy plate holder that required drilling two holes in the front of the car. So I didn’t mount the plate on the X. Other solutions have come out since, even Tesla’s own plate holder for the S and X is a no-drill solution and mounts from underneath to not scuff paint. But whatever..

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
I haven't seen front license in plate in most Teslas, my neighborhood is pretty much filled with Model 3/Y and most of them don't have front license plate.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
$196 according to Google search result. Not cheap.
Does anyone know whether this ticket affects driving history/points? or just fine?

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I got a ticket for this around 2008 in CA, so it might be out of date.

I got a fix-it ticket, where I had to put the plate on, then get a police officer to sign the ticket to confirm it was installed correctly.

I'm fairly confident it didn't impact my history, but the speeding ticket that it came with did.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Does anyone know whether this ticket affects driving history/points? or just fine?
It's not a moving violation, so shouldn't. It should also be eligible for "fix-it" if you install the plate and have CHP sign off.

Many people find the consequences insufficiently motivating to install the plate. But you are inviting yourself to be pulled over at any time with no other suspicion necessary.
Sponsored