Sponsored

Wheel Selection (20" with road tire)?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am clear about most of my selections (Explore R1S) but still confused about wheel options. I need your input. Here is the deal: I don't like the look of 21 and 22 but I could live with 21. I like some meat on the tire so I could air it down if I have to and in general I hear they absorb bumps better (comfort matters to me). I won't be doing heavy off-roading and prefer to skip the 15% range loss. Should I get 21s and replace all wheels with tires when tires wear out? should I get 20s and pay more upfront and replace with road tires when those wear out? will outside diameter be the same for all and spare would work regardless of what changes I make later? What do you guys think my options are and which ones make sense given my preferences? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
If you don't want the range loss and are going to be on pavement, stick with the OEM 21's. Most of the range loss from the 20's is the tires, but the wheel design/aero-hubcaps are also a factor.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Does anyone know if the ‘aero hubcaps’ on the 21” rims are easily installed, replaced at will?

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Does anyone know if the ‘aero hubcaps’ on the 21” rims are easily installed, replaced at will?
Yes. They are supposed to snap in and out as you need/want.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I am clear about most of my selections (Explore R1S) but still confused about wheel options. I need your input. Here is the deal: I don't like the look of 21 and 22 but I could live with 21.

snip.
In all honesty? Go to one of Rivian's events. See the wheels live, in person. It will grant you a much better insight regarding the wheels. You also get a chance to run into someone there with great information regarding the wheels that will further aid you in your trek.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Just get the 21s if you are worried about range loss. They’ll still work well on pavement and occasional off-road. I’ve driven plenty of non-off-road tires on fire roads and dirt trails and it’s not a big deal.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
  • Love
Reactions: Max

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

In all honesty? Go to one of Rivian's events. See the wheels live, in person. It will grant you a much better insight regarding the wheels. You also get a chance to run into someone there with great information regarding the wheels that will further aid you in your trek.
Rivian isn't exactly hosting a ton of events right now. At least on the east coast. And the Brooklyn showroom isn't the easiest to get to for most.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Can’t wait for an event near Maryland. Have you seen any 21s in an event? It looks like they bring only 20s on Adventure. I love to see an Explore R1S with 21s next to an Adventure R1S 20.

You should absolutely get 20” wheels and put road tires on them.

Smaller wheels are inherently more efficient on EVs.

See this post:https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ed-by-rivian-customer-service.2048/post-53783
Thank you. Great tip. I am at t he end of the line. It would be amazing if someone did this and posted the result on how it works. But at this point I am leaning this way.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Can’t wait for an event near Maryland. Have you seen any 21s in an event? It looks like they bring only 20s on Adventure. I love to see an Explore R1S with 21s next to an Adventure R1S 20.
can’t wait? Then do what I did and drive to California. ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Dyyyyymmmmnnn. You drove 2000 miles just for this? I have to up my devotion to the cause.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
They did not have the 21s at the Sonoma event, on a truck or off. Even though they’re supposed to be standard!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You're the reason Rivian keeps telling me to go to CA and see the Venice hub when there is a service center with a plethora of trucks 15 miles from me. ?

• Haha

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Dyyyyymmmmnnn. You drove 2000 miles just for this? I have to up my devotion to the cause.
I mean, we mostly went to visit My wife’s family who we hadn’t seen since 2019.

But yes, 2000 miles to see/touch/drive an Rivian ?

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I mean, we mostly went to visit My wife’s family who we hadn’t seen since 2019.

But yes, 2000 miles to see/touch/drive an Rivian ?
Actually 2000 miles and seeing in-laws earns even more of my respect.
Sponsored