First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
I own R1T with 51k miles . I asked Rivian to trade in for new truck, they paid 51k . My MSRP was 77 old pricing
Sponsored

Night_Ryder

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic Supercharged
Occupation
Military
I traded in my 2018 Jeep Rubicon to Rivian. The Rivian offer was the 2nd highest among CarMax, Vroom, Give Me the VIN, a dealer offer and KBB. Nevada subtracts the trade in value from a new vehicle cost before calculating sales tax (8.375%. In my case this resulted in a bottom line that was $3,000 more than the top offer for my Jeep.
Great info thanks! May I ask, did you owe anything on your Rubicon (Lien on title) or did you have a paid off (paper) title in hand? I’m about to get an R1S, but my Adventure Guide said the Rivian Sales Dept won’t accept an E-Title, which is standard for private parties in NV. So they won’t take my Trade-In. The only way to acquire a paper title in Nevada is to pay the Lien holder in full and wait for them to mail it to you.
Yet, Rivian is claiming Paper title or no trade-in.

Night_Ryder

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic Supercharged
Occupation
Military
I traded my 2019 full size Range Rover for a R1S in December 2023. They gave more for the trade than Carvana was offering. The down side is that it took them a month and a half to pay off my trade. Now I have late reporting on my credit and a balance left on the account since they took so long to pay off the trade. I live in Florida and FL law requires them to payoff in 21 days. Since they are licensed in IL they may have IL 21 day law but still they missed that by 2x. So. If you trade with Rivian watch your old account and be prepared to pay another payment on your trade!
That sucks, sorry to hear! From what my Adventure Guide told me, It’s a second entity (non-customer facing) that handles Trade-Ins. He made a very carefully crafted statement on how Rivian is not a true dealership and handles trades differently.

But I found out later Rivian is a licensed dealer in my State and likely uses brokers to directly take the trades. In which the liability does not fall on them. But it’s still a violation and the buyer is subject to massive fines for not transferring the title. This info came directly from a DMV Criminal Investigator in my state.

wolfsbane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Yukon Denali, Canyon SLT
Once I saw Rivian's offer on my F150 platinum, I went to Carmax and got an offer for $2k more than Rivian's offer. The sales tax benefit of a Rivian trade-in would have been about $1.5k, so then it was just a decision on whether the difference - call it about a $500 convenience charge - is worth it to keep my F150 until my Rivian delivery, but I'd be paying to insure both for about a month. That was enough for me to decline Rivian's offer and complete the rest of the Rivian purchase steps while I continued shopping the F150 around for another week or two and got an even better offer than Carmax's from another dealership. HTH.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Rivian gave me 51,000 on my T with 61,000 miles. Tesla offered 52,000 (on an S) and dealers offered 42-46,000 trading in on a T they had. Trade process was easy.

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Rivian's offer for my last car was the worst.

Carmax offered $5k more than Rivian.

Sold the Audi back to my local Audi Dealer for $7,500 more than what Rivian offered.

That was an easy decision...avoid trading to Rivian.

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
How long did it take for Rivian to respond with an offer to a trade in request?

93Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
CPA
Clubs

Rivian offered me $22k for a 2021 Tesla Model Y. KBB shows $27k. I told them that was just stupid and I declined.
I felt like they were trying to make up for me having locked in pricing from years ago. I guess I'll work on selling the Tesla and just pay cash for the Rivian.
Anyone else get the letter about locked in pricing expiring in September this year?

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
FWIW, Rivian seems to lowball virtually all trade-ins, because they appear to sell all trade-ins to wholesalers.

Rivian offered us $11,000 for our low-mileage 2018 Kia. We declined and sold it to good friends, the second couple we offered it to, who were thrilled to get it for only $14,000.

We would have gotten a sales tax exemption on the value of the trade-in. So if Rivian had offered within 8.1% of fair market value, it would have been to our advantage to accept Rivian's trade-in deal. It sure wasn't worth it when a fair "friends and family" discounted price was 27% above Rivian's offer.

I'm very happy with our R1S, though. A good choice. Best wishes!

Mellowyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S CompassYellow/DualMotorPerformance/LargePack
Clubs

Rivian offered $14k for my minivan trade in. I sold it to carmax for $18k. The $4k is a big swing. You have to do some basic math to calculate taxes. Situations will vary
Sponsored