Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I wonder what made you drop from 340 to 300 miles. Are these actual ranges you achieved or just the estimates?
Sponsored

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Got my R1S in Sept 22. Its been a wonderful ride for the most part. Delivery at the El Segundo center was ok, I got the first one in the LA area, so the delivery guys were figuring it out along with me.
1. Skip CONSERVE MODE: As I just spent $1200 on two new front tires. Worrying about range, I drove mainly in conserve mode. One other observation, at stop lights accelerating from conserve mode is a trip. So much power and torque that the two front wheels and the car really doesn't know what to do.
2. Updates are good and bad. Good: they are coming out frequently and seem to address a lot of good things. Never all of them, but what fun would that be if Rivian software actually gave us what we are all clamoring for. BAD: Loss of range. Even on a full battery in conserve mode, I cannot get more than 300 miles of range at 100% charge in conserve mode. That's a bummer. At one time, a few updates ago, I was routinely hitting 340-350 miles. I get it about range and estimates, but it still sucks to get one set of numbers and now not even getting anything close to that. In reality I charge at home and I have a full solar set up so no big deal.
3. Make sure you leave the service center with everything working. A duh moment? Not really, there's so much tech that you'd have to spend hours there. I found out that my four roof liner tweeters don't work (LE with Meridien set up). Its going back on 6/14 to get addressed and hopefully fixed.
4. Air hose set up. I got a dummy one. Never worked, never has. Found out the hard way, tried to connect to it with the kit and connector hose would not engage. Its hopefully being replaced at service center as well.
5. Connector hose is too short. If you ever need to put air into your front tires, not going to happen. Stupid design. Guess I have to hope only my rear tires need air. Does anyone know how to address that and get a hose that can actually extend to the front tires??
6. El segundo service center people are super cool. Tech's and front desk people. El Segundo is a pain in the ass to get to.
7. Rivian does not really have loaners per se. That said, getting $$$$$ in Uber credits is nice. But no Uber driver wants to come up to my house to pick me up. Great from service center but shitty in Malibu. ( I'm in north Malibu by county line far from main Malibu).
8. In sum, I've loved my vehicle. Dread going to service. Service people at El Segundo are great. Not giving out loaners is a bummer. Uber credits are great and they are very generous with them. Make sure you spend ALL of the time YOU need to become familiar with your vehicle before you leave the service center. And last but not least, CONSERVE mode is a tire killer. $500 a pop is not fun after 10,000 miles.
Very nice review & heads up to anyone... Conserve mode is only for emergencies when your running low on battery & need a few extra miles to get to a charger, per Rivian Delivery video at 53:39 time stamp (it only deliveries power to front wheels & eats tires if used regularly & yes you could use it on the interstate hwy if you remember to switch back to All Purpose when you get off the hwy). This video is the best video I've watched for what you go thru during a R1S Delivery & its the same thing if you pick up at SC as well per my First Drive earlier this month.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

#5 - Connector Hose too short? Yeah, that's dumb. It appears to have standard air fittings so you can buy an extension at any car parts store.
I have a flexible whip and a coupler from lock 'n lube that works way better than the stock hose coupler does. Rivian could have specced a higher quality hose that doesn't have as much wasted space for the money that we are paying IMO.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Did you ask them about the range decrease? That doesn't sound right at all after 9 months

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think conserve mode is great if used properly. I only use it on longer highway stretches, once on the highway I put it in conserve, right before I get off I put it back in all purpose. Works great for that use case and helps bridge the gaps with some breathing room between chargers on a trip.

I would never use it for normal driving around.
This. I’ve had my truck since March and have never used Conserve, don’t have range anxiety, and would use it for this use case only.

by the way, Rivian absolutely has loaners - I got a great one from the Denver service center when my truck was in over a weekend. Canyon red with OC and 20 darks. Might be location depen And the Denver center is one of the best.

Sponsored

exRiv33

First Name
Mixhael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I got my R1S from El Segundo on Sept 16th and have been back 3 times for various issues that all got resolved. Uber credits to enterprise for a rental for 6 days w/out the R1S and the process was super easy.

After reading the forums about tire wear I never considered conserve mode and have been driving in all purpose 98% of the time - tire wear has been fine. About to get my first rotation after 10k miles.

Early R1Ss had a compressor compartment seating issue that did not allow the compressor hose to attach. When brought into the service center they had the vehicle back to me in 45 minutes and works great to all four tires.

Have never seen the range go to 340 miles in any setting
during my time with the vehicle. What update got you this range?

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond. In regards to the air compressor, I was never shown how to use it. (Not that dumb) But it was still in its original bag when I needed to use it. First the connector did not work and second, whatever hose I had did not reach my right front tire. Just sharing my experience. I tried thru the outside as well as snaking it thru the interior. My build is S/N 665 maybe they changed hoses in later builds??? As far as the range goes, in one update I saw the range bump into the 335+ and since the latest update I cannot get closer to 305 miles in conserve mode. Sport and all purpose are within a few miles of each other. I agree that going forward I will use conserve mode only on the highway on extended journey's where I can just put it on cruise control and sit back. Last, I hope that deliveries are handled more thoroughly than mine. Thru the forum, you learn so much from others. I was coming from a Tesla and Rivian is a different vehicle. Service department was not very interested in giving me a Rivian loaner. Uber credits was the main offer. I'll push back a bit more more with my service advisor for my upcoming service.
Sponsored