Sponsored

What ICE truck are you going to buy now?

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Looking at F-150 powerboost, RAM or tundra......I might just wait it out. Sad day....even sadder than when Ford released their Lighting pricing.

R1T_Observer

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline, 2003 Factory Five Roadster
Occupation
NONE - RETIRED
Nearly a year after joining Rivian, and discovering how long I would need to wait, coupled with the fact as an employee, I would beholden to bringing in the R1T if it had problems (well at least the service would be close), I bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition. Picked it up 2 days after it was dropped off by the transport. About $56K after adding on a bunch of options, mostly warranty extension, and full Honda service, ceramic coat, tax, etc. No mark up. It came at a good time as I needed it to haul things between buildings. It's not an off-roader by any stretch, but I was never the type to go off-roading just for the fun of it (but I can see why) . It's the perfect city truck and good on unpaved roads too. Maybe someday in a few years, I'll just buy a Rivian if money permits.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Like many of you, with today's news I'm not only out of the R1T/R1S market, I'm out of the BEV market entirely. I still need a truck and I need one that is a solid off roader. Here's my new shopping list..

1. RAM 1500 TRX
2. Chevy Silverado ZR2
3. RAM 1500 Longhorn with the Off Road pkg (the luxury option)

So what ICE truck are you now going to consider?
The TRX is MASSIVE - I saw one in person the other day. Still can't believe how big it is. I wouldn't buy one because I don't need that kind of performance truck but even if I did, I'd maybe go Raptor jsut because the TRX is that much bigger and I wouldn't want to try to park it.

I had a 2011 RAM 1500 Longhorn with bed boxes and a basic cloth interior for a while. Sold it for reasons not worth explaining, but as a truck - it was pretty great. I am waiting to see what the Lighting is like, but if I bought an ICE truck I'd probably get a used RAM. I'm not going to pay sticker prices (or over) for an ICE truck.

Sponsored

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C8, GX
Occupation
IT
I have no interest in ICE for anything other than a dedicated sports car - EVs have ruined me for everything else. I’m expecting my Lightning in June/July and will run that until a few more options exist (also have a launch night Silverado EV reservation, plus Cybertruck).

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Like many of you, with today's news I'm not only out of the R1T/R1S market, I'm out of the BEV market entirely. I still need a truck and I need one that is a solid off roader. Here's my new shopping list..

1. RAM 1500 TRX
2. Chevy Silverado ZR2

I’m thinking along the same lines. I’m driving a Mustang Mach-E now that is a real bugfest and well beyond the lemon law threshold. Every other EV that appeals to me is either a unicorn or way out of my price range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The TRX is MASSIVE - I saw one in person the other day. Still can't believe how big it is. I wouldn't buy one because I don't need that kind of performance truck but even if I did, I'd maybe go Raptor jsut because the TRX is that much bigger and I wouldn't want to try to park it.
I had a Gen2 Raptor. The TRX is bigger, but only 1.7" wider and 1 inch longer. Fortunately it will fit into my garage. But, overall these vehicles are 6" wider than their more basic counterparts. (not counting the mirrors)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I had a Gen2 Raptor. The TRX is bigger, but only 1.7" wider and 1 inch longer. Fortunately it will fit into my garage. But, overall these vehicles are 6" wider than their more basic counterparts. (not counting the mirrors)
Interesting. I saw one parked next to the TRX at a car event and the TRX looked much bigger to me but that was just an initial impression and subjective of course.

Did you like your Raptor? I have several friends that like theirs. I still don't "need" that kind of performance out of a truck - I need it more for towing and filling the bed with stuff. So I like the idea of the R1T size of a truck. Might have to check out the Ranger one of these days and see how it is to drive.

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I think I’ll wait on the 2023/24 redesigned Range Rover Sport PHEV.
Should get about 45 miles of electric only range so that’ll cover 90% of my driving plus I can take it on trips without stopping at chargers.

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce

1. RAM 1500 TRX
2. Chevy Silverado ZR2

Sticking with my current 2015 F150 till it dies OR try to get a Lightning.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

If not the Lightning or (whatever Chevy calls theirs) then it will be a hybrid F-150 or new Toyota Tundra hybrid. Leaning more towards Ford for the Powerboost capabilities.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

So far our EV6 GT-Line ($58k) has been a pleasure. R1T is now out of our price range. Will keep early reservation for EV Silverado and see what happens then.

I cannot justify buying any ICE vehicle. IMO it’s selfish to keep spewing that crap into the air and leave it to someone else to suffer and deal with.

Rivian R1T R1S What ICE truck are you going to buy now? F73AEC27-3562-4D65-9469-3525ADED6344

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So far our EV6 GT-Line ($58k) has been a pleasure. R1T is now out of our price range. Will keep early reservation for EV Silverado and see what happens then.

I cannot justify buying any ICE vehicle. IMO it’s selfish to keep spewing that crap into the air and leave it to someone else to suffer and deal with.

If I could buy a BEV 3 row SUV for under 80k Im all ears... Oh wait.... LOL.
Sponsored