First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Welcome Home R1S 49269302-C634-4B85-8BD4-4EECE64A6356
Rivian R1T R1S Welcome Home R1S BBE636ED-DC9B-4710-9F00-BBDC3E944902

My son and I drove down to Chicago today to take in the Museum of Science and Industry, and then to trade my 2018 Audi S6 for my new 2023 R1S. It was quite the day, especially considering that it was my first time driving a Rivian. And that the first drive was after taking ownership of my stunning limestone R1S.

Not going to lie, when my guide texted me the delivery address yesterday, my first thought was that it was pretty sketch. I mean it was in a wilderness park parking lot. So I felt reassured when we pulled up and there was an R1S there for someone else’s first mile.

Long story short, the trade and delivery went as smooth as it could have. But holy shit was I nervous on the drive down. I kept imagining the worst, that some idiot driver would rear end my Audi and derail the R1S transaction. The young lady thoroughly walked me through every facet of the vehicle. And when she needed time to check out my trade, I took the time to QC the exterior. To my surprise there weren’t any major concerns. Although I’ll look it over again tomorrow when the endorphins have subsided to their normal levels.

The drive home exposed my learning curve. Brake regen is no joke and one pedal driving takes some getting used to, especially when approaching stop lights with vehicles in front of you. The new car smell was wonderful, and it is true that scents have a magical link to memories in your brain. I do not have a photographic memory, but the scent immediately flooded my mind with the various brand new car experiences that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. 2000 Civic Si. 2005 4Runner. 2012 Passat TDI. 2018 S6. The smell let me relive them all!

I guess this has turned into a long story after all. The drive home was incredible. I definitely missed the sound of my former twin turbo V8, but the commanding view and the effortless torque made me forget about the car I left behind. Sure, I caught myself missing the ability to text my wife with CarPlay, but I had my son sitting shotgun to relay messages. I definitely caught myself speeding on a number of occasions. Attribute that to the stealthy torque, but also to the lack of heads up display. I will miss that feature every time I drive her. I never had to glance at the dash in my S6 to know my speed or the speed limit. They were always prominently displayed in my field of vision. Maybe the R2S will gift us with this nearly mandatory convenience.

The bourbon in my glass is causing me to be more wordy than I had planned. I’ll close by saying that my son and I had an excellent time together, and he was able to share in the purchase of our family’s first EV. He did, however, suffer more battery percentage anxiety than did I. Then again he panics when his iPhone is down to 65%. We arrived home with 47%, and since my level 2 charger is scheduled to be installed on Monday, she sits in the garage plugged into a normal outlet charging away at a rate of 1-2 miles per hour.

All in all a wonderful experience. Thanks Rivian. And thank you Colton for sharing it with me.

Ben
Sponsored

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Great report. Time for family road trip.

AsianPersuasian

First Name
SuperDave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did Rivian offer you the best price for your Audi? It seems they are usually the lowest from what other members are stating.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Congrats and enjoy! You'll get the hang of the one pedal drive pretty quickly and then you'll miss it when you drive an ICE vehicle.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Somebody’s got a cool dad 😉

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian has frightened more than one person sending them to whatever park that is where you took delivery :CWL:

Sounds like a wonderful father/ son day:
museum
amazing new electric SUV
bourbon

Congrats!

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did Rivian offer you the best price for your Audi? It seems they are usually the lowest from what other members are stating.
They were more than fair with their offer. Within 2k of what I would expect from a private party sale.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Gotta love the gushing, sappy love story when combining sheer joy of the new R1S, father-son outing, and bourbon.

Add in a splash of the warranted passive-aggressive WTF is CP, and this is an absolue winner.

Congrats and enjoy the R1S! We traded in a heavily modified S7 for the Rivian and have never looked back.

Sponsored

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Ben: When did you reserve? Adventure Package? You said in another post that you were taking delivery way ahead of schedule. Thanks for the write-up. Enjoy!

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ben: When did you reserve? Adventure Package? You said in another post that you were taking delivery way ahead of schedule. Thanks for the write-up. Enjoy!
I reserved my adventure package in Jan/Feb of 2021. As of December my estimated delivery was April to June of 2023. Then when they adjusted them on Feb 1 my dates changed to July to September. Then about 2 weeks ago I received emails from my guide and for my 8 steps. It is seriously crazy how quickly things changed.

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I reserved my adventure package in Jan/Feb of 2021. As of December my estimated delivery was April to June of 2023. Then when they adjusted them on Feb 1 my dates changed to July to September. Then about 2 weeks ago I received emails from my guide and for my 8 steps. It is seriously crazy how quickly things changed.
Congrats on finally taking delivery, and thanks for the short story :) Glad you've had the opportunity to go on your first 'adventure'!

Your reservation details give me hope that my Nov 2020 Adventure R1S reservation might come much sooner as well. My est delivery dates have shifted the same as you, so fingers crossed my number will be called within the next month or so...well-ahead of the latest July-Sept window.

Anyway, congrats again and enjoy!!!

BBeach

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hi Ben,

I met you and your son while you were doing the walk around and we did our test drive. Congrats on that beauty! Glad to hear all was smooth and easy. Enjoy!

Bill

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
judging by your timeline, I hope i get mine sOOn.
Congrats OP!
Sponsored