Weird slow speed behaviour - reverses instead of hold in snow mode

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Had an odd experience last night. Was creeping down a fairly steep hill at a crawl of a pace (traffic wasn't moving due to ice covered roads, the city was basically one big parking lot). Put it in snow mode for the first time ever, and when I would move/creep a few feet forward down the hill and come to a stop, the truck wouldn't hold, it actually started (slowly) backing me up the hill. Took me a few repeats to realize it was happening, I felt like maybe I was sliding down the hill on ice (I wasn't). If I used the brake it would stop me and then hold fine. But it happened consistently while on that hill. When I got off the hill I put it into AP mode, and the problem went away. But don't know if that was from AP mode or being off the hill.
Sponsored

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Which version of the software do you have? There is possibly a fix for this in 2023.50.1, according to the release notes:

Improved Auto-Hold Performance For Snow Mode
Improved the consistency and the performance of auto-hold in snow and grade conditions.

https://rivian.software/2023-50-01/

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Which version of the software do you have? There is possibly a fix for this in 2023.50.1, according to the release notes:

Improved Auto-Hold Performance For Snow Mode
Improved the consistency and the performance of auto-hold in snow and grade conditions.

https://rivian.software/2023-50-01/
Good point. I'm on the previous version.

NorthVan57

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 nissan leaf, on wait list for R1S
Occupation
dentist
Clubs

I had the same experience in North Vancouver last night creeping down a hill in heavy traffic, also in version 46, was wierd to start going backwards, thought I might bump into car behind me!

Sponsored

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Canadian snow mode instructions

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same experience in North Vancouver last night creeping down a hill in heavy traffic, also in version 46, was wierd to start going backwards, thought I might bump into car behind me!
Maybe it’s a North Van feature! Happened to me on a side street hill trying to get to Keith to try and avoid the highway 1 parking lot coming off a ferry… you didn’t happen to be coming back on the ferry from Nanaimo? Another R1T and I shared two ferries yesterday.

NorthVan57

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 nissan leaf, on wait list for R1S
Occupation
dentist
Clubs

Nope, just trying to get daughter from Lynn valley to deep cove for swimming, but I have R1S, hopefully next update fixes this unsettling reverse mode!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I had this same experience earlier this week leaving work. I was easing down the ramp in the parking garage, in snow mode, and the truck started backing up instead of holding. It’s only ever done it that once though.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I can attest to Reverse in 46 being off, jerky and inconsistent just coming down my driveway, although haven't stopped for hold. In 50 it's much more consistent and smooth to moderate.
Sponsored