Sponsored

Weak Windshields?

oybed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, LG, LE, BM, 20" AT
Ouch. Still a pretty penny though. Is insurance/warranty covering some/all of it?
Yes, with $0 deductible glass insurance it’s 100% covered.

Based on this thread, however, I am starting to wonder if it really should have been a warranty request - in my case it was a tiny tiny pebble that left a tiny mark - which quickly cracked about 20” across the passenger side.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yes, with $0 deductible glass insurance it’s 100% covered.

Based on this thread, however, I am starting to wonder if it really should have been a warranty request - in my case it was a tiny tiny pebble that left a tiny mark - which quickly cracked about 20” across the passenger side.
why would it be warranty if there was physical damage that initiated the crack? That’s exactly the kind of thing warranties don’t cover.

oybed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, LG, LE, BM, 20" AT
why would it be warranty if there was physical damage that initiated the crack? That’s exactly the kind of thing warranties don’t cover.
Agreed - and I'm good with that. But based on this thread - i.e. OP's topic - it seems that there may be some weakness in the windshield. I have never had a windshield crack on any of my vehicles before - and much bigger rocks have hit them - but with the R1T it happened within 2 months, and the pebble was so tiny we even though it was a bug that hit. It is a bit interesting that many others are reporting similar experiences. Again, I'm good with taking care of it as-is, and I'm writing this first one off to being "the first ding on the brand new car".

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
It’s grown bigger! First pic is from 08/08, second is from 08/09. Didn’t drive the truck at all, this happened just from sitting in the garage.

On the plus side, just a couple hours after sending these to Rivian via email, I got a new service date of August 15th, and they (unsolicited) arranged a rental car for me

Rivian R1T R1S Weak Windshields? 507CE691-8597-4618-AFB6-695246F888C6

Rivian R1T R1S Weak Windshields? 46369B5C-7096-498A-BDE3-F9C83961B107

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think whether or not the windshield cracks is also a function of where the glass is hit. In my experience a rock strike near the edge of the windshield is much more likely to break it than one a little away from it.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
@Shzeph I just replaced my windshield. My crack was almost a mirror opposite of yours. Started at the top on the driver's side and continued until it hit the side. The nick in the windshield was tiny and the way it continued was disheartening. When I say tiny I mean I didn't even see it at first. The way this happened makes me think that the windshield is lousy. Just because other makes of cars get cracks all the time isn't justification for this.

When I called CS they told me not to try and fix it in case it was covered by warranty. It most definitely was not.

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
Mine came with gunk stock to the windshield, when i tried to clean it with kitchen sponge ( the green side ) it left bad scratches on the windshield now I am taking it to detailer trying to buff it out !!
Rivian agreed to replace windshield
Sponsored