First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
So, maybe I've just had an atrocious run of luck, but since taking delivery in March, I've had more rocks hit my windshield than any other car I've owned

And that wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that the R1T's windshield seems to be fragile beyond belief. Every single little pebble has left a mark. Just this morning I took a rock to the portion of the glass that sits over the A-Pillar, and it immediately splintered outwards a good 5-6 inches.

Again, maybe I just have bad luck. But I remember in my XC60, it got hit a bunch of times, and those rock impacts never even left a scratch on the glass. In the Rivian? It seems like the rocks can't NOT do damage. Is Rivian just using the cheapest glass they could find, or does the universe just hate me?

(That's a semi-rhetorical question)
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've noticed this too. Except mine have only been small nicks and nothing has splintered out. But I've had more marks on the windshield in a few months of owning the R1T than I've had in years driving trucks and cars in similar conditions.

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
I've noticed this too. Except mine have only been small nicks and nothing has splintered out. But I've had more marks on the windshield in a few months of owning the R1T than I've had in years driving trucks and cars in similar conditions.
Not a great look for an ~$80k "adventure vehicle". Sincerely hoping this is a few bad strokes of luck and not a pattern!

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

My vehicle was delivered with scratches on the windshield. I've never had scratches on any glass from any vehicle I've owned. I bet there's something about this glass that makes it softer than normal.

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
Hmm. Give me an all electric truck with 4 motors and 860 HP with 300+ miles of range but ALSO make sure it has thick heavy glass on the roof and windshield…. I would hope most of you realize there will always be some give and take with these things. I’ll take the HP/4 motors/300 range over thicker glass any day. Which group are you really in?

Sponsored

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Hmm. Give me an all electric truck with 4 motors and 860 HP with 300+ miles of range but ALSO make sure it has thick heavy glass on the roof and windshield…. I would hope most of you realize there will always be some give and take with these things. I’ll take the HP/4 motors/300 range over thicker glass any day. Which group are you really in?
For $80k I don’t think you should have to sacrifice good windshields for those features. In fact, it needs better glass of it’s going to be sold as an off-road adventure vehicle, given that it should see a lot of gravel and dirt.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Not sure why someone would think the 4 motors/Hp/range should have any effect on the glass. Also not sure why someone would act like this should be a known problem for a truck that has been out less than a year. If the glass is a problem, hopefully Rivian upgrades it.

This shouldn't be an echo chamber for how great the truck is, and have people just gloss over real problems that can be easily addressed.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
How do they make this thing weigh 7000lbs with a thin arse windscreen?

Just seems like one of the many contributory factors I would expect to that weight total since it's fairly overbuilt elsewhere.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Adding my recent experience. Windshield cracked first month of ownership from a pebble on the road though that’s not unusual for where we live.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Not a great look for an ~$80k "adventure vehicle". Sincerely hoping this is a few bad strokes of luck and not a pattern!
The windshields are made by fuyao america. To learn more about this company and its practices, check out the documentary “American Factory”

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
For $80k I don’t think you should have to sacrifice good windshields for those features. In fact, it needs better glass of it’s going to be sold as an off-road adventure vehicle, given that it should see a lot of gravel and dirt.
Its not the $$$ that are the problem. It’s the weight. Sure you could make thicker glass. Sure you could make thicker body panels. But at the sacrifice of what? Thinner under armor? Thinner bed floor? Or do you start compromising on the range? Or the acceleration? Maybe the window company is shady, I haven’t looked into it. But you can’t have everything. There are always compromises. I’m not coming for Rivian here, I’m just making a statement that there are always compromises. To act like there shouldn’t be any because the truck costs $80k is not a valid argument. There are compromises on $100 vehicles.

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Its not the $$$ that are the problem. It’s the weight. Sure you could make thicker glass. Sure you could make thicker body panels. But at the sacrifice of what? Thinner under armor? Thinner bed floor? Or do you start compromising on the range? Or the acceleration? Maybe the window company is shady, I haven’t looked into it. But you can’t have everything. There are always compromises. I’m not coming for Rivian here, I’m just making a statement that there are always compromises. To act like there shouldn’t be any because the truck costs $80k is not a valid argument. There are compromises on $100 vehicles.
What weight? Would 100 lbs of extra glass reinforcement really make the difference for a truck that’s already this heavy?

OP
OP
Shzeph

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Yeah, like I’m pretty sure a slightly thicker/stronger windshield isn’t going to have any noticeable impact on any other function of the vehicle.

I’m not asking for a windshield that can take an AP round, I just want something that doesn’t break when you look at it funny

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
My vehicle was delivered with scratches on the windshield. I've never had scratches on any glass from any vehicle I've owned. I bet there's something about this glass that makes it softer than normal.
Mine came with gunk stock to the windshield, when i tried to clean it with kitchen sponge ( the green side ) it left bad scratches on the windshield now I am taking it to detailer trying to buff it out !!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Mine came with gunk stock to the windshield, when i tried to clean it with kitchen sponge ( the green side ) it left bad scratches on the windshield now I am taking it to detailer trying to buff it out !!
Wow a scotch brite pad leaving that sort of scratch pattern on a windshield isn’t great. I wonder if a ceramic coating on the glass would help or that ceramic tint
Sponsored