Sponsored

We need 277 volt AC compatible charging. Really.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
A 50 A circuit with 40A EVSE should get you 20 miles/hour.
The Rivian included charge cord with the 14-50 plug gets you 16 miles/hour @ 32A, and a 48A EVSE will get you 25 miles/hour. Using a 40A EVSE should land you around 20.
But I think you need a 60 amp breaker for that 48 amp EVSE, correct?
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
But I think you need a 60 amp breaker for that 48 amp EVSE, correct?
Yes, but the question was about plugging into a 14-50 on a 50 Amp breaker. That lets you use a 40A EVSE hence the 20 miles/hr.
A 14-50R could also be installed on a 40A circuit (there is no dedicated NEMA 40A plug/receptacle so using a 50A receptacle is specified by code). That is why the portable EVSEs like Tesla and Rivian provide are designed to draw no more than 32A even though they have a 14-50 plug.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I am going to try and reignite this thread. I was in Grand Rapids Michigan this past week and downtown Grand Rapids is PLAGUED by meters on chargers in public garages. It was just plain annoying. The chargers were “free” but then you fed a meter.

I get I get it its just another way to pay. I am not advocating free. I’m not, but to pay the parking garage and then another “meter” was annoying.

I digress, the Hotel I started at advertised as having EV charging. Lies. A block away was a JW Marriott that had 4 Tesla Destination chargers all EVIDENTLY on 277 volt and my TeslaTap would connect but the Rivian shut it down. It was interesting the Rivian would go green and start to “charge” and then immediately go “Red” and fail.

Here is the Kicker there were two Clipper Creek Chargers there with J1772 connectors on the same circuit. I had to WAIT for a BoltEV and I forget which other car to leave to nab one of those spots. The RIvian wouldn’t charge. NOTHING. Zippo. So My guess is while It doesn’t officially support J1772, it can and the cars onboard charger just needs to allow this. The other vehicles were charging.

This caused me a ton of hassle. To be clear I was willing to pay the Hotel parking rates and get to use the charger, but the Rivian wouldn’t accept it. My GUESS is because it was at 277.

If this is a software thing I AGREE with the OP @McRat the more chargers the BETTER. Especially in EV lagging parts of the world like the Midwest.

Smart people like @ajdelange thoughts? Could this be a software enabled thing or is hardware required for the onboard charger?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d rather the superior Canadian 347/600V three phase.

OP
OP
McRat

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
I’d rather the superior Canadian 347/600V three phase.
I think I have more EV's in my garage than in all of Canada... JK.
I do not believe most commercial lighting fixtures in Canada are 347. Show me your reference.

The point is, most Rivians, Teslas, Ford EVs, GM EVs, are built for the American market. Our entire country has mostly 277/480 parking lot wiring. What a simple thing it would be to expand EV infrastructure if you could use parking lots without digging them up first, just pull wire.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Our entire country has mostly 277/480 parking lot wiring.
I imagine that if anyone wanted to charge from light poles they would put in the transformers required to attain the required voltage. Pobably be required for grounding and isolation reasons anyway.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think I have more EV's in my garage than in all of Canada... JK.
I do not believe most commercial lighting fixtures in Canada are 347. Show me your reference.

The point is, most Rivians, Teslas, Ford EVs, GM EVs, are built for the American market. Our entire country has mostly 277/480 parking lot wiring. What a simple thing it would be to expand EV infrastructure if you could use parking lots without digging them up first, just pull wire.
Three phase power here is supplied at 600V, one leg of that is 347. Most commercial lighting fixtures in big buildings are 347, if they’re not stepped down to 208 or 110v single phase.

it is not uncommon to step 600v down to 480v to run American machinery.

fun fact, the provincial government here in Manitoba touts the hundreds of thousands of block heater plugs in parking lots as “installed electric vehicle charging infrastructure“.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

I absolutely agree it's disappointing the oboard charger doesn't support 277VAC. I was hoping it does and just unpublished, sad to hear it shuts down (and I hope nothing else fails).
That's one benefit of Tesla's integrated onboard charger and PCS, it can handle any voltage up to that of the HV battery. I'm sure rivian's is a separate (and possibly 3rd party) dedicated charging unit. I hope we get to see a teardown some day.

OP
OP
McRat

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
I imagine that if anyone wanted to charge from light poles they would put in the transformers required to attain the required voltage. Pobably be required for grounding and isolation reasons anyway.
Imagine just the theft potential, maintenance, and power losses of installing hundreds of thousands of stepdown 277>240 transformers if you want inexpensive infrastructure expansion. I charge my Tesla at 277 at work, and when I get the Rivian I will test it to see if will handle 277. IIRC, the Chevrolet Volts will not.

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I believe that difference would be stated as “33% faster”, not 133% which would imply more than twice as fast.
So how much faster would 200% be according to your calculations, if 133% implies more than twice as fast?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So how much faster would 200% be according to your calculations, if 133% implies more than twice as fast?
3 times.

An example; if you are going 30 miles an hour and someone is going 200% faster they are going 60 mph faster than you or 90 miles per hour, 3 times your speed.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
3 times.

An example; if you are going 30 miles an hour and someone is going 200% faster they are going 60 mph faster than you or 90 miles per hour, 3 times your speed.
Somebody needs to let Bill Gates know this, as his window's calculator agrees with the OP not with the numbers put forth. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this, enlightening, interesting, but takes me time to digest and comprehend - doesn't help that Texas Instruments tells me J1772 standard is min 85V, nom 120/230V and max 265V, and posters here say its not, or maybe that's just specs for TI's board enabling EVSEs...

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Somebody needs to let Bill Gates know this, as his window's calculator agrees with the OP not with the numbers put forth. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this, enlightening, interesting, but takes me time to digest and comprehend - doesn't help that Texas Instruments tells me J1772 standard is min 85V, nom 120/230V and max 265V, and posters here say its not, or maybe that's just specs for TI's board enabling EVSEs...
It is a terminology issue, see post 3 in this thread, the difference is in the term “as fast” or “faster”.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Imagine just the theft potential, maintenance, and power losses of installing hundreds of thousands of stepdown 277>240 transformers if you want inexpensive infrastructure expansion.
If a parking lot is wired with 480Y/277 then there is a transformer stepping whatever is on the distribution network down to that. If a DCFC station is built there is a transformer stepping down from distribution to whatever the DCFC cabinets want. If a network of destination chargers is wanted there is a transformer stepping down to 240. See the pattern?
Sponsored