Wall-Mounted Charge Station?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
What is the best way to go with installing/building a Wall-Mounted Charge Station?
Indoors? Outdoors? Single Family Residence? Condo?

The Rivian on board charger will use up to 48A if your EVSE makes it available.
A 48A EVSE must be hardwired to meet most (all?) electrical codes.
40A or less are allowed to be plugged in to a 240V outlet.
Charging cables are limited to 25 feet, so that is a consideration in relationship to where you will be parking.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Can anyone confirm which side of the vehicle the charge port is on? Different pictures have cutouts on both driver and passenger.
Thanks

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Can anyone confirm which side of the vehicle the charge port is on? Different pictures have cutouts on both driver and passenger.
Thanks
Production vehicles have it in the driver side.

OP
OP
Steven Wayne Smith

Steven Wayne Smith

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman, 2002 Volkswagen Eurovan, 2008 BMW F800GS
Occupation
Medical Industry Consultant
Indoors? Outdoors? Single Family Residence? Condo?

The Rivian on board charger will use up to 48A if your EVSE makes it available.
A 48A EVSE must be hardwired to meet most (all?) electrical codes.
40A or less are allowed to be plugged in to a 240V outlet.
Charging cables are limited to 25 feet, so that is a consideration in relationship to where you will be parking.
Thank you DucRider. I ride an F800GS. Looking for Single Family Residence, vehicle outside. Would like to incorporate solar and battery. What systems should I look at?

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Driver
Thank you DucRider. I ride an F800GS. Looking for Single Family Residence, vehicle outside. Would like to incorporate solar and battery. What systems should I look at?
The Rivian will be compatible with virtually everything on the market (a Tesla unit would require an adapter).
It comes down to what features you want (wifi with control and reports), something that is integrated into the solar, or a standard 240v unit.

I'd been using a "dumb" Leviton 32A EVSE for about 7 year until recently. Local utility offered a $500 rebate and $50/year to move to a "smart" EVSE that allowed them to reduce or delay charging during demand "events". The only qualified unit currently is the Chargepoint Flex. It's $699, but with the $500 and 30% Federal Tax Credit, it's basically free :clap:

Rivian will likely offer rebranded Enel X EVSEs since they partnered on the Long Way Up infrastructure.

Worth a read:
https://insideevs.com/features/3415...s-guide-to-home-ev-chargers-plus-top-5-picks/

The 30% Federal Tax Credit expires at the end of the year. It may or may not get extended by Congress.

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
Anyone know if I can use an existing Tesla home charger with some type of adapter for the Rivian?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Other brands are also available. sorry about the mess using iphone

Sponsored

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
Other brands are also available. sorry about the mess using iphone
No worries, I appreciate the information and education, a lot of folks such as yourself, provide on this forum.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
And the original TeslaTap

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

As to which is the best solution there are so many possibilities that I wouldn't presume to pick one. Of course if you want to stay Rivian themed, buy the Rivian.

A lot depends on how your current house wiring looks at the moment. Most will probably want to be able to get the max the trucks' chargers will allow and that will require a 60A dedicated wired to a 48A EVSE. But a 40A charger hard wired or plugged into a 50A circuit is fine too and an option chosen by many. What to do is also determined by things such as where your panel is located relative to where you want to put the charger and, of course, whether your service is adequate.

If you are savvy WRT house wiring you'll be able to figure out how to proceed pretty quickly. There are hundreds of discussions of charging options on this and other sites. If you are not then there is no question but that you should consult a qualified electrician.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Based on my personal experiences "shopping" for an electrician for this purpose, I will extend AJ's advice further and recommend consulting a qualified electrician who is also experienced installing EVSEs - and preferably experienced with the model you plan to have installed.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Leaning pretty heavily toward a Rivian one installed by them depending on price. It seems they would have a good shot at knowing exactly what needs to happen and have a huge incentive to get it right.
Sponsored