VW Bringing Back "Scout" Competitor for Rivian

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Well these images look vaguely familiar. "Leaked" from the VW design group, the company is voting tomorrow to spin out a stand-alone EV company to bring back the Scout name and produce an off-road electric pickup and SUV for the US market. According to the WSJ, "is set to resurrect the Scout off-road vehicle brand...is planning to launch a new Scout-branded electric sport-utility vehicle and a Scout electric pickup truck." "The plan would see Scout operate as a subsidiary of VW in the U.S. alongside other VW brandsā€”Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini and Bentley."

Rivian R1T R1S VW Bringing Back "Scout" Competitor for Rivian 1560f679fd7e2c192d5e4dea60a7b118
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Looks nice from the side but I feel like I saw rendering of a VW truck recently from the front that looked kinda.... well not my thing.

Personally I think VW has a lot of work to do to modernize their software engineering culture too (which could be doable in a spinoff), but they will sell lots of EVs regardless.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Grandpaā€™s best friend had a Scout heā€™d drive over to the house. I loved it. If it evokes any emotion of the classic Iā€™ll have to sell my Rivian I havenā€™t driven yet šŸ„øā€¦

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
IIRC, the bulk of VW's current revenues are SUV's, many are good looking and performing at more than fair pricing. Mix in their rather aggressive EV efforts and the storied legacy of Scout and this could be a hit.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Man it would be great to have another electric off-roader. I really want the rivian but competition certainly wouldnā€™t hurt, and this is more what we need than the full size truck offerings that are coming out.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
more the merrier, which makes it amusing to read the stock subforum with all the doom and gloom, we got brands being resurrected to compete with a doomed company :D

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I would be very interested in a new e-Scout. Or any smaller off-roader truck/SUV. As it stands now, I sometimes wonder if I want something as large as the current Rivians.
Sponsored