Engineer
Clubs

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
It shows the NACS enable chargers in your map along with # of free stalls. Unfortunately that number always seems to be out of date (Tesla app shows the same numbers, also out of date) - maybe they use like a 15 minute refresh or something.

Anyways, I arrived at the site, maps showing 4/8 stalls available, and 7/8 were available (one roped off out of order).
There can be some lag, but a while ago Tesla also started predicting availability based on vehicles currently routing to a Supercharger (by navigation). The idea being, it's not useful to report 8/8 available if 10 cars arrive 3-5 minutes before you do. And, in the Tesla vehicle the charging route planner will sometimes direct you to a different Supercharger than it otherwise would based on predicted demand. There are a number of factors that go into what usage is reported and live nav data (from Tesla vehicles) is one of them.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
There can be some lag, but a while ago Tesla also started predicting availability based on vehicles currently routing to a Supercharger (by navigation). The idea being, it's not useful to report 8/8 available if 10 cars arrive 3-5 minutes before you do. And, in the Tesla vehicle the charging route planner will sometimes direct you to a different Supercharger than it otherwise would based on predicted demand. There are a number of factors that go into what usage is reported and live nav data (from Tesla vehicles) is one of them.
That’s probably going to become less accurate since non-Teslas won’t tell the network they’re on the way to a charger.

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
That’s probably going to become less accurate since non-Teslas won’t tell the network they’re on the way to a charger.
Possibly for a period of time, yes. Although, there seems to be good partnering with at least Rivian and Tesla on this. There's no reason Rivian couldn't pass along the same nav information (eventually; probably not doing so now). Further, Tesla's are the vast, vast, vaaaassstttt majority of EV's that will access the Supercharger still. Furthermore, new Tesla's will continue to be 99% of what strains the Supercharger network. Thus, I think still pretty accurate.

And, Tesla will get more government subsidy from new all-access Superchargers. A lot of money. Tesla isn't so much opening up their network to kindly "advance sustainable transport" as they are to obtain the massive subsidy for expanding access to Tesla vehicles. Think about it, Tesla will get paid per station built (not by some ratio of per number of non-Tesla's using it). With Tesla pumping out their cars in volumes that dwarfs other EV manufacturers, this has very little to do with non-Tesla's (although non-Tesla consumers will GREATLY benefit) and everything to do with more quickly building out the network for Tesla's on the government's dime.
TLDR; the Supercharger network will continue to expand quickly to accommodate Tesla's, further making non-communicating non-Tesla's irrelevant.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I’m getting Sirius Cybernetics Corp. vibes of elevators that can see into the future (from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy).

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
For what I can see it's about $0.14 cheaper per KWh with the subscription, which means it pays up after the first 95KWh , like a 10%-85% session would pay for it.

I charge always at home but have a couple of road trips this summer and I will activate the subscription at that time I will probably have to charge like 6-7 times so it's going to be $70 or more dollars in savings at least. It would be more convenient if it could be linked to the car though so it was seamless instead of having to initiate it from the app. Small inconvenience

432913001_337426145468065_3853631324382206860_n.jpg
More specifically it's a 25% discount at every available supercharger.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Instead of subscribing Tesla, I've opened an account for the Bluedot app. But still trying to figure out how that should be used to start a charge (to get the 20% cash back). They've not responded to my question. Add their credit card to my Rivian account and then set it as default? If Bluedot users know, please chime in.
Didn’t know about this (looked it up and it is an app and an associated debit card) but confused on the use case. You might get $0.30/kWh at Evgo and other unnamed smaller networks but at the big boys you receive what they call “20% cash back” but this is paid in ”Oxygen Points” which have all sorts of redemption restrictions and are redeemed at $0.10 per Oxygen Point.

Since you have the Bluedot account please report back if it can initiate charges at Tesla or EA (I think not but could be misunderstanding their FAQs) and if you spend $100 on Tesla charging you receive 20 Oxygen Points (20% of 100) worth $2 which is not “20% cash back” back in my arithmetic. You can also share your trip data and receive 4 Oxygen Points every 100 miles but this feature just freaks me out from a privacy perspective.

Personally I think the frictionless plug and charge model is the way go but maybe there is some hidden value here. I realized you punted on some details to other Bluedot users, if they exist here, they can chime in with Bluedot’s merits.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Didn’t know about this (looked it up and it is an app and an associated debit card) but confused on the use case. You might get $0.30/kWh at Evgo and other unnamed smaller networks but at the big boys you receive what they call “20% cash back” but this is paid in ”Oxygen Points” which have all sorts of redemption restrictions and are redeemed at $0.10 per Oxygen Point.

Since you have the Bluedot account please report back if it can initiate charges at Tesla or EA (I think not but could be misunderstanding their FAQs) and if you spend $100 on Tesla charging you receive 20 Oxygen Points (20% of 100) worth $2 which is not “20% cash back” back in my arithmetic. You can also share your trip data and receive 4 Oxygen Points every 100 miles but this feature just freaks me out from a privacy perspective.

Personally I think the frictionless plug and charge model is the way go but maybe there is some hidden value here. I realized you punted on some details to other Bluedot users, if they exist here, they can chime in with Bluedot’s merits.

I have it, just signed up yesterday. But haven't used it yet. @IGR would be the person to ask. I likely won't be using Supercharger often enough to warrant their relatively steep $12+ subscription, which is why I considered Bluedot. EVgo, Chargepoint and Tesla are the 3 networks they currently work with.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I have it, just signed up yesterday. But haven't used it yet. @IGR would be the person to ask. I likely won't be using Supercharger often enough to warrant their relatively steep $12+ subscription, which is why I considered Bluedot. EVgo, Chargepoint and Tesla are the 3 networks they currently work with.
I did not see Tesla in their list of supported networks, only a suggestion to add the Bluedot card as the payment method in the Tesla app to get the 20% discount.

hgpayne

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I've never seen charge rates come close to 200kw even on RAN chargers. I usually get up to around 160kw peak or so. Does the Max Pack just not hit those numbers or should I get it checked out?
R1T Performance Dual Max Pack here. The max I’ve seen on a RAN has been 209 kw. I started at 15%. This was a one time thing. I typically peak at 198 kw on RAN chargers. I get 203-207 kw peak rates typically on EVgo stations. Since I’m usually pulling a trailer I end up at the end Electrify America chargers which are the 150 kw units so not nearly the speed there. When I have snagged one of the 350 kw units I’ve reached that 207 kw rate on several occasions.
Sponsored