Vibration at Freeway Speeds

DesertRivian17

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Upon delivery our R1S had a bad vibration at freeway speeds. We immediately contacted service as I knew this was likely related to wheel balance. The mobile tech was sent out to balance all 4 tires, this helped but the vehicle still had noticeable vibration and now pulled right. After two weeks in the shop for this and other fit and finish issues including a binding rear hatch they claim the tires were defective and replaced the two front tires. We should be getting it back tomorrow and will see if this and other issues are resolved.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Upon delivery our R1S had a bad vibration at freeway speeds. We immediately contacted service as I knew this was likely related to wheel balance. The mobile tech was sent out to balance all 4 tires, this helped but the vehicle still had noticeable vibration and now pulled right. After two weeks in the shop for this and other fit and finish issues including a binding rear hatch they claim the tires were defective and replaced the two front tires. We should be getting it back tomorrow and will see if this and other issues are resolved.
Makes sense. The hunter road force elite machines will tell you how much road force is in the assembly. These machines help narrow down issues with wheel/tire vs simply being out of balance. Not sure if Rivian has these machines or not.

Hopefully they have you all sorted when you get it back.

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22ā€™ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
I had a similar issue on my R1T. A defective tire was the issue, Rivian replaced and was great after that. Apparently some of the Pirelli ā€˜shaved-specā€™ tires are coming with flat spots, which feels like a tire balance issue when driving. Let us know how it goes when you get it back!

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Iā€™m also curious if they were able to fix it. Mine was fine until Rivian rotated my tires. Now I have a steering wheel shake. Iā€™m guessing an out of balance tire.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Some tires are defective and never balance right. I hope it gets sorted out.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'm glad the Phx SC is finally replacing tires for this problem. It has been a regular occurence. My R1T faced this for a few months, until tires we're replaced. Our R1S (21's) is perfect at any speed, on the same freeways you are on....good luck with the adjustments.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Around 18k miles I noticed the steering wheel shaking only sometimes on roads, that threw me for a loop, by 21k miles I took it in foolishly thinking balance was the problem, the front tires were peeling apart, (rears were new ). Replaced the fronts and drives nice and smooth, rotated every 6k miles 22in. Now Iā€™ll be paying attention around the 15k mark to inspect the tires just to be sure

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Even after tire balancing, if the vehicle is still pulling to the right, it might be a good idea to get a thorough wheel alignment check. Misalignment might be causing both the pulling and the vibrations.
Iā€™d like to mention that vibrations could stem from worn-out or damaged suspension parts. So, make sure the service crew takes a close look at the suspension system, checking stuff like control arms, bushings, and struts.
And also, maybe ask for a road force balance. Itā€™s a great way to spot and fix imbalances that regular balancing might miss, making your drive a lot smoother.

OP
OP

DesertRivian17

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
After two weeks in the shop we got the vehicle back though they claimed it was fixed it still has vibration above 70 miles an hour they rode forced balanced all four tires and claimed the front two tires were defective, which were replaced. However, this is not fixed the vibration issue.
Sponsored