First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
New gripe. I was just able to see the Hummer EV and the Bronco in person, despite Covid, at Barrett Jackson. Rivian was nowhere to be found at that show. Time for them to stop the excuses.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

New gripe. I was just able to see the Hummer EV and the Bronco in person, despite Covid, at Barrett Jackson. Rivian was nowhere to be found at that show. Time for them to stop the excuses.
I finally have a gripe. You went to the Barrett Jackson Auction and didn't post the first picture of either the HummerEV or the Bronco. Have you been that guy posting 2-3 lousy pics of the R1T under a pseudonym? ?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I don't see at as making "excuses". What percentage of reservation holders were at B-J? How many people were able to test drive the Hummer? Or the Bronco?
Was Lucid there? Bollinger? The Cybertruck? What did you learn about the Hummer there that you didn't already know?

Putting on test drive events to cover at least most reservation holders where they can see, touch and drive both the R1T and R1S, with examples of all the colors and interiors is a significant undertaking. Much more complex than putting a semi-working concept on display as a model for an upcoming auction.

I've organized lots of EV test drive events (and shows), and there are myriad complexities that people attending will (hopefully) never even consider or be exposed to. Some states/jurisdictions even have laws potentially prohibiting Rivian from holding such events and/or providing test drives unless they hold a valid dealer license in that State (and sometimes not even then).

At the last big test drive event we did (pre COVID), it came to light that doing off-site test drives (or even having a staffed display) could be construed as illegal for a dealer (even though it was - and is - common practice). Tesla was reluctant to participate in the event until they got clarification from a couple of different regulatory departments that it was a permissible activity. Even though most manufacturers were already going to be there, they were sensitive to the fact that they are under additional scrutiny by bypassing the traditional franchised dealership model.
Just one example of hurdles to overcome.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Exactly what is wrong with our society today.
BigE, I hope you know that was intended completely as tongue in cheek, hence the wink and the grin following the wave. I hope everyone sticks around. This is a big bus on a fun journey.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I could drive a 1987 Toyota Tercel.
Those are dangerous, that's how I lost my first car. A Toyota Tercel ran smack dab into my 69 Nova while it was parked. (Clearly the cars fault, not the driver :)) Note that the Tercel lost badly.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I don't see at as making "excuses". What percentage of reservation holders were at B-J? How many people were able to test drive the Hummer? Or the Bronco?
Was Lucid there? Bollinger? The Cybertruck? What did you learn about the Hummer there that you didn't already know?

Putting on test drive events to cover at least most reservation holders where they can see, touch and drive both the R1T and R1S, with examples of all the colors and interiors is a significant undertaking. Much more complex than putting a semi-working concept on display as a model for an upcoming auction.

I've organized lots of EV test drive events (and shows), and there are myriad complexities that people attending will (hopefully) never even consider or be exposed to. Some states/jurisdictions even have laws potentially prohibiting Rivian from holding such events and/or providing test drives unless they hold a valid dealer license in that State (and sometimes not even then).

At the last big test drive event we did (pre COVID), it came to light that doing off-site test drives (or even having a staffed display) could be construed as illegal for a dealer (even though it was - and is - common practice). Tesla was reluctant to participate in the event until they got clarification from a couple of different regulatory departments that it was a permissible activity. Even though most manufacturers were already going to be there, they were sensitive to the fact that they are under additional scrutiny by bypassing the traditional franchised dealership model.
Just one example of hurdles to overcome.
There is no expectation of test drives at the B-J event. All the displays there are just for viewing. ElectraMeccanica did have their Solo EV there, and in fact they began test drives in Phoenix back in February. I took this photo at the event yesterday. Tesla had a booth as well, but no CT or Roadster.
Rivian R1T R1S Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided" EM_Solo.JPG

I sure hope Rivian can figure out how to do test drives soon, at least in the states like Arizona that will allow it.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I sure hope Rivian can figure out how to do test drives soon, at least in the states like Arizona that will allow it.
I highly suspect they are putting a program together to allow all (or as many as possible) reservation holders to test drive. Coordinating staff and vehicles (several "teams" are likely) with a schedule of locations. Not unlike putting a concert tour together. Some states will have less red tape to make it happen, others more. But they are unlikely to do random events in the "easy" locations - skipping from here to there - without a complete plan with at least some geographic continuity.
It's bee a long time, but at one point they did a survey of reservation holders to see how far they were willing to travel to an event. Probably working to piece that together with all the other moving parts. I would expect maybe April but possibly May before we see test drives.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I sometimes camp exactly how RJ described, as do many people I know. Fold the seats flat, throw down an air mattress, and I'm good.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I sometimes camp exactly how RJ described, as do many people I know. Fold the seats flat, throw down an air mattress, and I'm good.
There is NO WAY that RJ mentions car-camping in an R1S and Rivian doesn't make a custom fit air mattress with at least 1 Rivian compass on it.