V2H Update?

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Has anyone heard anything about bidirectional charging or using the R1T as a generator lately? F150 Lightnings are starting to go out, and given that they are already offering this as a feature I was curious if RJ has mentioned anything more about it. It is hurricane season, after all (😬) and not being totally reliant on the grid during the summer months would provide added value to make me forget about the upcoming EV rebate changes.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Has anyone heard anything about bidirectional charging or using the R1T as a generator lately? F150 Lightnings are starting to go out, and given that they are already offering this as a feature I was curious if RJ has mentioned anything more about it. It is hurricane season, after all (😬) and not being totally reliant on the grid during the summer months would provide added value to make me forget about the upcoming EV rebate changes.
Years away. R2 line probably

OP
OP

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Years away. R2 line probably
I mean, the hardware is already capable and third party companies will have CCS solutions soon(tm), so it should mostly be about the software, right? That’s where Rivian should actually have an advantage over Ford.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

In theory only

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I emailed CS about this a few weeks ago and they replied they are working on it, but gave no further details.

I am hopeful we'll hear more this Fall. I also find it very unlikely it would be limited to R2 or 800v or anything else.

It has long been planned as a feature and as far as I have been able to determine by googling and asking around... hardware-wise an R1 has everything it needs (really just a CCS port).

It is worth noting the CCS spec for bidirectional charging was just released in April.
ISO 15118-20:2022
https://www.iso.org/standard/77845.html

Also Wallbox announced the Quasar 2 in January, but no word on when it will be available to purchase or if it will be compatible (but it should be, in theory).
https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar2-dc-charger

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I mean, the hardware is already capable and third party companies will have CCS solutions soon(tm), so it should mostly be about the software, right? That’s where Rivian should actually have an advantage over Ford.
CCS as a spec doesn't obligate support for power transfer in both directions. I haven't heard anything about the R1 line's hardware being capable of it.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
CCS as a spec doesn't obligate support for power transfer in both directions. I haven't heard anything about the R1 line's hardware being capable of it.
Have you heard of any hardware it would need that it doesnt have for it to work? Inverter would be external if using the DC pins.

They've been doing this with chademo for awhile.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
RJ discussed V2H at an early invite for preorders in Normal that was on rivian website and rivian stories yt channel

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't care much about bi-directional or automatic V2H. A simple inverter-plug at 240v or V2L inverter I can buy off the shelf (like the $200 Hyundai adapter): https://www.ebay.com/itm/255423892973

The built in inverter is cute, but can't run a RV AC (2,000 watt), not run a house manual transfer switch (240v).
Sponsored