First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '19 Model 3, a bunch of old jeeps
Occupation
Engineer
For those of you that have used the compressor to fill your tires, is there supposed to be a hissing sound when you connect the hoses before pressing the start button? It kinda sounds like the tire is supplying air to the system and it's leaking out from within the truck. If I disconnect the hose from the tire, the hissing stops. The other thing that makes me suspect a leak is that the PSI reading is consistently 5-6 PSI low. If I set the target pressure to 48, it stops when it says 48, but when I disconnect and check it with a separate gauge it's actually at 55. Tried multiple gauges including a milton pencil style and a fancy digital one.

To further troubleshoot, I used my own hose and a typical in-line inflator with gauge like this one: https://a.co/d/jhRtDk5 and when I'm holding the trigger (tire connected to system) it displays 48 when the compressor stops. However when I release the trigger (tire isolated from system) it jumps up to 55. I think it makes sense that it would read a lower pressure if there's a leak in the system. But I'm basing this on my experience with a typical compressor with a tank. I understand the onboard compressor is a tankless "inflator" and not really a compressor. Not really sure what to expect here.

Anyway, how does it work for you guys? Does yours sound like it's leaking with hoses attached and compressor off? Does your actual pressure match the target when you're done? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I’m not thrilled with the connections and using the air compressor either. I‘m like you and noticed that the pressure calibration isn't exactly right so I always back it up with another gauge. The system works for the most part but I have to mess with it each time.

OP
OP
yosupitscel

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for sharing. It's totally useable as-is, but if it's leaking it can't be efficient and it will take longer to fill. It also doesn't match some videos I've seen on youtube where people check the pressure after inflating and it's within 1 PSI. Maybe I'll open a ticket and see what Rivian says.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. It's totally useable as-is, but if it's leaking it can't be efficient and it will take longer to fill. It also doesn't match some videos I've seen on youtube where people check the pressure after inflating and it's within 1 PSI. Maybe I'll open a ticket and see what Rivian says.
You're well within warranty, so you might as well!

OP
OP
yosupitscel

yosupitscel

First Name
Cel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
You're well within warranty, so you might as well!
True, but don't they charge you if they find it's operating as designed with no fault found? I didn't want to open a bogus ticket if this is how they all are, but I suppose it's off enough to make the case that something's wrong.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
For those of you that have used the compressor to fill your tires, is there supposed to be a hissing sound when you connect the hoses before pressing the start button? It kinda sounds like the tire is supplying air to the system and it's leaking out from within the truck. If I disconnect the hose from the tire, the hissing stops. The other thing that makes me suspect a leak is that the PSI reading is consistently 5-6 PSI low. If I set the target pressure to 48, it stops when it says 48, but when I disconnect and check it with a separate gauge it's actually at 55. Tried multiple gauges including a milton pencil style and a fancy digital one.

To further troubleshoot, I used my own hose and a typical in-line inflator with gauge like this one: https://a.co/d/jhRtDk5 and when I'm holding the trigger (tire connected to system) it displays 48 when the compressor stops. However when I release the trigger (tire isolated from system) it jumps up to 55. I think it makes sense that it would read a lower pressure if there's a leak in the system. But I'm basing this on my experience with a typical compressor with a tank. I understand the onboard compressor is a tankless "inflator" and not really a compressor. Not really sure what to expect here.

Anyway, how does it work for you guys? Does yours sound like it's leaking with hoses attached and compressor off? Does your actual pressure match the target when you're done? Any help is appreciated!

I actually have the opposite problem. It is reading 7 psi higher than it supposed to be. I got a flat the other day and the reading inside the vehicle said 36 psi. When I go to measure that flat tired, it read 43. I tried to pump it to 48 before take it to a tire shop, it stopped at 48 reading at the compressor, but reading was 41 on the rivian pressure screen.

I have a work order with Rivian in two weeks with this and other minor issues.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
if you submit a ticket, try deflating a tire a bit. Then use the onboard compressor to re-inflate it. If the onboard system shows 48psi, and a handheld gauge shows 55psi, record that in the video. That way there's a documented discrepancy there.
Sponsored