First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Project Manager
non-LE Adventure /large battery prioritized over explorer or max pack for 2022.

Excited for me, feel bad for others…

Full letter:

As we come to the end of the year, I want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and share my deepest appreciation for your support and belief in Rivian. Many of you have been supporting us for years, meeting us at events, taking drives, having conversations with our Guides and joining us in person on our First Mile tour. We can’t thank you enough for your enthusiasm for what we’re building.

The past 12 months have been exciting here at Rivian. We’ve seen our first deliveries to customers, the opening of our initial service centers, deployment of our mobile service fleet, installation of our first charging sites, and most recently, our early days as a publicly traded company. It has been a journey filled with many twists and turns, and I can’t thank our team and their families enough for helping us get to where we are today. The next several months will remain a steep climb as we continue to ramp our operations.

Earlier this month, we held our first quarterly earnings call where we were able to speak directly with our shareholders about how we’re doing and where we’re headed. Some of you being shareholders may have even listened in. I wanted to take this opportunity to touch on some of the topics from the call, as well as cover a few things we weren’t able to get to. Our major goal for 2021 was certifying the R1T, R1S and our commercial van for sale and starting deliveries. We believe the capability and discipline required for developing and launching multiple vehicles in parallel is very important to achieve the breadth of products and scale for which we are striving. Launching three vehicles during our first year of production in one of the most complex operating environments ever seen has certainly been challenging.

Our team is incredibly focused on ramping our production output to get vehicles to you. It is important to recognize that while we are not where we would have liked to have been from a production output perspective, we are encouraged by the progress our team continues to make in our operations. Thank you for your patience as we continue our production ramp. I can’t overstate how important it is for us to deliver quality products with an incredible customer experience.

As you may know, many of our first R1T deliveries have been to Rivian team members as part of an employee purchase program. This program was implemented to provide us an opportunity to internally test the entire customer experience – this includes transaction, financing, and insurance as well as overall vehicle quality. With several hundred employees as early customers, we were also able to identify and address a wide range of enhancements to our software stack through over-the-air (OTA) updates – we are excited to continually add more features and refinements to our vehicles through ongoing OTAs. We’ve also been making deliveries to non-Rivian employees, which continue to increase week over week.

I’m also happy to share we made our first R1S deliveries earlier this month. I was lucky enough to take delivery of the first one and can report it’s incredibly fun to drive — my wife and I debate daily about who gets to drive it. I can’t wait to start getting these to customers as we ramp production over the next several months. Last month, all Launch Edition preorder holders received their estimated delivery timing window. We will begin sending Adventure and Explore Package preorder holders their estimated delivery window later today.

As of December 15, we had approximately 71,000 preorders for the R1T and R1S in the US and Canada, with the large majority having configured an Adventure Package with a Large pack battery (our Max pack represents approximately 20% of our preorders). In order to serve the largest number of preorder holders, we will be prioritizing building the Adventure Package with Large pack battery during the next year. Explore Package preorders and vehicles with a Max pack battery configuration will follow in 2023. In setting our delivery timing, we optimized our build sequence around the build combination that would support us ramping as quickly as possible and therefore have the largest possible positive climate impact.

To bring added clarity and better understanding to delivery timing, in early 2022 we are introducing a new feature on your Rivian Account Page that will display your current delivery timing estimate. The information will be tailored specifically to you and the exact vehicle you configured. Our goal is to give you accurate, up-to-date details about your specific preorder so you can better plan and stay more informed.

We realize these timing estimates may be different than what some of you had originally expected. We know any shifts in timing can be challenging as you try to plan vehicle purchases and trips you want to take. To Max pack and Explore preorder holders who have been with us since 2018 and 2019 whose delivery windows may push into 2023 — we value your loyalty and commitment and will be reaching out to you in January to gauge your interest in reconfiguring to an Adventure Package with Large pack battery so that you can take delivery in 2022. Last week, the R1T was selected as MotorTrend’s 2022 Truck of the Year after an exhaustive testing program that included acceleration, braking, payload, trailer testing, evaluation of handling, track performance and off-road capability. Testers also evaluated ADAS, stop-and-go, highway and country road experiences.

The publication said, “MotorTrend’s 2022 Truck of the Year announcement may be our most significant since 1949. The Rivian R1T is a monumental achievement and astonishes with a quality of design, engineering, materials, and technology unmatched in trucks today, while providing a driving experience like that of a high-performance luxury car.”

Since the R1T’s launch in September, we’ve received positive reviews from a diverse range of media and social outlets. In addition, over the last few weeks, we’ve been awarded a number of major recognitions and acknowledgments from editorial and news outlets including Newsweek, Forbes, Electrek, Popular Science and Edmunds. We are honored by this recognition and the opportunity to illustrate how a clean-sheet, technology-focused vehicle can eliminate long-accepted compromises.

As we look ahead to 2022, we are excited to continue expanding our service footprint, customer drive program, Rivian Adventure Network and Waypoints charging sites, Rivian Spaces and our membership program. We’ll also be adding new Adventure Gear to our Gear Shop.

Thank you again for your support and patience as we build for the future. I wish you and your family a Happy New Year.

RJ
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Yep that isn't going to sit well with a lot of people, but I'm not surprised.

I am surprised that 20% of their orders are maxpack.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Reactions: Max

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

He did good to let people know to lower their expectations! Explorer or Max Pack won’t start production until 2023! That’s going to piss off a lot of people.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I'm still betting that we'll see the earliest maxpack r1ts in May. March would be incredibly surprising, but I'm betting May.

Sponsored

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Is LE prioritized over Non-LE? Email isn’t clear other than encouraging to switch to adventure & large.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Rivian Automotive

Rivian Automotive

As of December 15, we had approximately 71,000 preorders for the R1T and R1S in the US and Canada, with the large majority having configured an Adventure Package with a Large pack battery (our Max pack represents approximately 20% of our preorders). In order to serve the largest number of preorder holders, we will be prioritizing building the Adventure Package with Large pack battery during the next year. Explore Package preorders and vehicles with a Max pack battery configuration will follow in 2023. In setting our delivery timing, we optimized our build sequence around the build combination that would support us ramping as quickly as possible and therefore have the largest possible positive climate impact.

Am I to assume that they will produce about 50k R1T/S in 2022

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
The email also states that they will "begin" to send up delivery windows via email later today. Hopefully they begin and finish today with that.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Yep that isn't going to sit well with a lot of people, but I'm not surprised.

I am surprised that 20% of their orders are maxpack.
At first I was surprised by that, too. Then I recalled that I didnt' have the option to pick a maxpack for my R1S, so it would only be R1T orders that could choose that, and maybe not even LE R1T orders.

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
A few additional information voids that are top of mind (obviously there is a ton of other missing information):

1. No word on R1S interior walk-through and details like R1T had before launch.
2. No work on Max Pack R1S
3. Are Guides still a thing? They promised contact by Thanksgiving, then moved it to an email update not from a Guide without any direct recognition of the Guides.
Sponsored