SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

Hey guys, I have an R1T on order and was wondering if Rivian has the ability to turn off the large center stack screen while driving? I am a software monkey and since I'm on screens most of the day I like to spend my free time away from them while I am driving! I know its unusual in our tech heavy culture, but I find it more peaceful. One thing I really LOVE about my current 2018 F150 is that the screen is about 4x4" and has a physical "OFF" button. I've trained myself never to look at screens while driving (including my phone) and I have to say that not only do I enjoy the driving experience more--one of the reasons I am considering the R1T--but it keeps the distractions to a minimum, especially with kiddos in the back seat. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not an option, currently.

My eyes are very sensitive at night so I have to turn the screen brightness all the way down. I find it mildly annoying that Rivian doesn't use "black" as the background color, and instead uses a dark grey, which sticks out, visually, to me.

I can't wait until OLED becomes the norm in the automotive industry!

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Yeah I don’t think so, it turns off with Camp Mode, which isn't much help while driving. Maybe a low tech way would be a laptop privacy screen.

OP
OP

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

I have acute light sensitivity as well, especially at night. I wish that Tesla provided such an option as well, but since they integrated the stalk controls/drive modes and speedometer into the single screen, I understand why they don't permit turning the screen off as an option (probably per regulation).

A privacy screen would be a good option if one is ever made for the Rivian, unless you could cut it out with scissors.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I doubt you'll see OLED due to burn-in. Maybe mini-LED will take over at some point. Especially with ever larger displays it'll help with yield as well since they're often composed of a number of smaller manufactured units rather than a full panel per board.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe one of the site sponsors will develop a set of mini blackout curtains (think stage curtains in a theater) which can be drawn over the display by those who want to turn it off. They could also serve a secondary purpose as screen wipes. 😆

Rivian R1T R1S Turning Main Screen Off? tead-scene-curtains-vector-illustration_1284-33554

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Big fan of OLED, but it would be horrible in automobiles with so many static images/icons being on screen all the time.

I'm pretty mindful of it as far as my LG OLED (no signs of burn in), but even with my phone having the display timeout after 1 minute, it's showing signs of burn in at the top menu bar, and lower home buttons. (1.5 years old)

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Turned the brightness level all the way down to test today in both day and night modes; it was barely visible. I’m not sure how acute your condition is but this may be a passable option for you!

OP
OP

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

That's good to know about the brightness. A neoprene fabric screen cover, like the one on the model Y below, would also work, plus be a win-win for camping. I'm always throwing stuff in/out of the seats when at camp--sometimes bulky items--so something like this would be good to have:

Fabric screen protector
Sponsored