Sponsored

Truck not charging when plugged in

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
On multiple instances I've plugged in the truck (Rivian home charger), heard it engage, can confirm on the infotainment screen that a cable is plugged in, but it doesn't charge.

Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn't work.

Unplugging, closing the charge door, reopening the charge door, then plugging back in does work.

It doesn't do it 100% of the time and it's really aggravating. Yesterday I lost an hour of charging because I forgot to double check that it was working.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a service appointment coming up for an unrelated issue and I'll bring it up then but I'd like to have more data.
Sponsored

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Do you have scheduled charging setup? If the charger port turns blue it is scheduled to charge.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I had a similar problem with my Tesla Wall Connector and it turns out it was because we had a 60A GFCI breaker for the circuit. Once we swapped it out for a standard 6A non-GFCI breaker, everything was fine. I believe Rivian's unit has similar requirements so you might want to check that.

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I had a similar experience once and power cycling the rivian wall charger fixed it. I just turn the breaker off for 30-60 seconds, then back on. The charger’s induction light at the top should be slowly blinking white if it’s ready to charge.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do you have scheduled charging setup? If the charger port turns blue it is scheduled to charge.
Nope.

I had a similar problem with my Tesla Wall Connector and it turns out it was because we had a 60A GFCI breaker for the circuit. Once we swapped it out for a standard 6A non-GFCI breaker, everything was fine. I believe Rivian's unit has similar requirements so you might want to check that.
I'll check that, thanks.

I had a similar experience once and power cycling the rivian wall charger fixed it. I just turn the breaker off for 30-60 seconds, then back on. The charger’s induction light at the top should be slowly blinking white if it’s ready to charge.
The charger light was slowly blinking the whole time. If the breaker to be reset I don't think closing and opening the Rivian's charge door would have fixed it.

Thanks for the input, all.

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
On multiple instances I've plugged in the truck (Rivian home charger), heard it engage, can confirm on the infotainment screen that a cable is plugged in, but it doesn't charge.

Unplugging, closing the charge door, reopening the charge door, then plugging back in does work.

It doesn't do it 100% of the time and it's really aggravating. Yesterday I lost an hour of charging because I forgot to double check that it was working.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a service appointment coming up for an unrelated issue and I'll bring it up then but I'd like to have more data.
What happens if you try the portable charger? ...or another Level2 charger? ...process of elimination.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It doesn't happen consistently enough on the home charger that I think it's worth the trouble of trialing the others. Mostly I wanted to see if others were experiencing the same issue.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
It doesn't happen consistently enough on the home charger that I think it's worth the trouble of trialing the others. Mostly I wanted to see if others were experiencing the same issue.
If you're not seeing it with other chargers, I'd bet you have a circuit issue or need to have your home charger reset.

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
My Rivian charger does this every few weeks.
I have to power cycle the charger as well as unplug and plug back in the truck to get it to work.
It acts like the microcontroller inside the charger has locked up.
I'm thinking about trying to get it replaced under warranty.

Sponsored

Schmurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Clubs

I've had the same issue. Power cycling the charger fixes it. It is definitely annoying since mine is set to charge overnight and I have woken up to a nearly depleted battery when I was expecting to take the truck to run a full day of errands. I haven't troubleshooted beyond that though. Last time it happened, I did get an alert via the app that said something like "Charger not plugged in correctly, unplug and replug". I did that, and it still didn't charge. Ugh.

dordav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I've had issues with the Rivian charger not working bc it lost wifi connection. Reset the breaker to get the charger to connect to wifi again fixes it. But that doesn't explain close/open door and it working.

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer

Check the charging port on your truck and see if there's any junk or stuff in there messing with the connection. A can of compressed air can be useful for cleaning out the port. Plus, fluctuations or interruptions in power can lead to charging problems. So think about using a special circuit just for your charging station.
Since you mentioned that closing and reopening the charge door seems to do the trick sometimes. It might be a good idea to check out the door mechanism itself. Make sure it's moving smoothly with no blockages, and that the sensor saying the door's closed is working correctly.
Sponsored