Sponsored

Truck keeps locking & unlocking frustrations

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Am I missing a setting on the menu screen. Every time I walk around the truck whether I am in the garage or in the driveway the truck keeps locking and unlocking. Even if I am 10 feet away (I am using my iPhone as the key). When I walk up to the truck it seems like most of the time the truck does not unlock, I have pull out the phone and hold it next to the door. At times this does not work and I have to open the app and unlock it thru the app. When I am loading or unloading something from the bed, the truck will lock quit frequently and I cannot open the truck bed cover, open the lift gate, etc. This very frustrating. There should be a way to keep the truck unlocked manually. I never owned a car with this many issues with such a basic issue.
Sponsored

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er
Check your vehicle settings. There was an updated proximity preference when at "home".

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I'm actively working around the truck for more than a few minutes, I turn off the proximity locking.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I have had some similar frustrations. I found how to turn the proximity lock/unlock off on the infotainment screen.

I have another question maybe somebody can shed some light on. The proximity phone as key only seems to unlock the truck when I approach from the passenger side. Nothing happens when I approach on the drivers side. Is this normal or is something wrong on my vehicle?

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
can we chose NOT set the phone as a key ??

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Sure, you can remove the phone from the list of keys under drives in the app. That means no proximity features and no remote lock/unlock via the app.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Turn off your phone's bluetooth while working around it will also work. Quick and easy

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

You can, I believe it's just part of the initial setup. Nothing stops me from clicking on "Keys" in the app, clicking on my phone and hitting delete. I'd personally love them to just fix the feature, disabling proximity at home is a nice band aid but doesn't really address the issue. Plenty of EVs and non EVs have proximity keys and my Tesla had two phones used as keys that at times would be just a few feet away on the other side of a wall. Somehow its only been my Rivian constantly locking and unlocking itself while the phone was nearby on a desk.

Last edited:

phantomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y, R1T
At first I would op the frunk when working around the truck to keep it from locking/unlocking but I could still get into it. Now I use ‘car wash’ mode and it doesn’t look like I’m waiting for the mechanic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually it is getting worse. I used to pull my phone out and put it next to the door handle and it would unlock. Now, at times this does not work. Have to open the App to unlock. Rivian- concentrate on the basics first.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had tons of issues with using phone as a key but now works perfectly. I put in tickets, unpaired/repaired phone multiple times, hard reset, etc. with no success. I could manually unlock my vehicle with the app but couldn’t put vehicle in drive because it didn’t recognize phone key as being in the vehicle.

Not sure if it was random luck/timing but I unpaired my AirPods Pro’s that I use with my phone and it magically started working as a key. I subsequently repaired my AirPods and both continue to work as expected. Might be worth trying to unpair other BT devices associated with your phone and seeing if that improves performance.

OP
OP

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have 6 items in my Bluetooth menu with Rivian on them:
-Rivian Phone Key
-Rivian Audio
-Rivian Sensor 1?
-RIvian Sensor 3?
-Rivian Sensor 4?
-Rivian Camp Speaker

All other cars have only one bluetooth listing

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have 6 items in my Bluetooth menu with Rivian on them:
-Rivian Phone Key
-Rivian Audio
-Rivian Sensor 1?
-RIvian Sensor 3?
-Rivian Sensor 4?
-Rivian Camp Speaker

All other cars have only one bluetooth listing
Mine is same. Seems strange that I can’t disable the speaker.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Actually it is getting worse. I used to pull my phone out and put it next to the door handle and it would unlock. Now, at times this does not work. Have to open the App to unlock. Rivian- concentrate on the basics first.
The phone as key doesn't work that way. It's not using the NFC reader, it's all BTLE.
Sponsored