Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Physician
She will see 70 very soon and I passed is in early covid
You’re right we use a single step and in we go this just a place to catch 7 hours of z at the occasional event.
Like on the small ship cruises where we crew bike events, we spend almost no time in cabin .
I don’t think I mentioned gear guard or compressor .
We eat only fruits and nuts in the am no cooking but she indulges in a smoothie and travels with a blender so wall juice is handy
Roof or bed crossbar flip out tent ?
We see a complicated, awkward, and heavy ‘because we could’ contraption but we see there could be some outlier appeal in some lifestyles. Besides, Where would we put our bikes?
Stubborn we are especially when it comes to a pick up.
After 10 sedans , 9 wagons, and 7 vans since 1966, we never had a pu, in fact scorned them as having no advantage to our van except for mulch, stone, and trees.
3 months into the R1S order we discovered 7 pax model only and very limited cargo height, we switched to pu and zero regrets.
Just cannot imagine our life with an S.
Two very happy campers.
Well congrats on your first pu! Good choice. Put it to good use!
Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Thanks
Shoulda done it decades ago
We are looking forward to the nest - though we will miss those DIY waffles at the motel breakfast bars

Moodyerdoc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Physician
TMI?
We’re on both sides of 70 and I can hop in the bed and You’re right we use a single step at the gate
This is simply a place to catch 7 hours of z at the occasional event at the store or on the road.
Like on the small ship cruises where we crew bike events, we spend almost no time in cabin .
I don’t think I mentioned gear guard or compressor .
We eat fruits and nuts in the am no cooking but she indulges in a smoothie and travels with a blender so wall juice is handy
Roof or bed crossbar flip out tent ?
We see complicated, awkward, and heavy ‘because we could’ contraption but we see there could be some outlier appeal in some lifestyles. Besides, Where would we put our bikes?
If we have to reposition at an event driving slowly is doable, for real movement canvas down, rails on, bikes on rails - ( minutes max.
Stubborn we are especially when it comes to a pick up.
After 10 sedans , 9 wagons, and 7 vans since 1966, we never had a pu, in fact scorned them as having no advantage to our van except for mulch, stone, and trees.
3 months into the R1S order we discovered 7 pax model only and very limited cargo height, we switched to pu and zero regrets.
Just cannot imagine our life with an S.
Two very happy campers.
That's the other application I can see that makes sense...you're at an overnight event, limited parking, tight space for a separate tent setup, back of the bed is really the only option.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Good observation
F’rinstance we are presenting at a convention in Dayton fairgrounds next weekend.
Host motel 7 miles - arriving 0300 Friday for afternoon presentation.

Do I wanna pull into a holiday express , Settle at 0330, check out at 0830 and drive rush hour to the grounds? NOT
And en route I pop it up and catch an official
nap while juicing up an hour or two - though it’s usually in the seat.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Coming with an honest question here....what's the benefit of a truck bed tent over a ground tent? In my mind, you can buy a crazy awesome ground tent with much more versatility at a better price with more room, portability, features, etc. What's the key factor I'm missing here? I've spend a lot of years sleeping on the ground. I've never felt the need to be 3 feet up. Educate me.
In a word... Mud. Ground camping is fine on a nice dry, level, grass campsite. But when you go to the popular places the ground tends to be a bit worn. Throw in some water and now you have to wash your tent when you get back home. When you go to the middle of nowhere there may not be a flat spot anywhere.
Water management is key to a good camping experience. Especially in the cold. When your up off of the ground and level that is pretty much taken care of. Many a camper can tell you of a lost nights sleep from rain water getting into the tent.

Sponsored

mfarbs

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota Prius V
Clubs

Thanks
Napier are very well made BUT has sewn in floor
Limited or no access to gear guard, compressor, outlets, bed lights.
No brainer with many cons .
Rightline is on the way
Will keep y’all posted

let the class begin:
We’ve been pitching tents since the 1960’s and we will not miss that experience for a minute.
Finally with our new $57 Rightline ( bought a faded dusty one from REI today) we’re up in 7 minutes on a dry, very level (thanks camp mode)platform with led lighting, AC outlets, and a much better view of the surroundings.
While we will mostly be at events at fairgrounds and parking lots, the bed mount tent seems more ‘protecting’ in the event of animal lurkers.
For these seniors the one extra small step to the pickup bed mattress compared to the Sealy at home is just one small step.
Climbing down onto the ground and up again gets very old as we get old.
Should we ever hear that voice say ‘hey, you can’t camp here!’ No biggie!
In under 3 minutes three poles get pulled, the fabric falls, gate closed, and we are outa Dodge.
We do realize that a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still and freedom of choice is all ours and yours.
Hi! How did the Rightline work out? Does it fit? Like it? If yes, what size did you get? Thx!
Thanks
Napier are very well made BUT has sewn in floor
Limited or no access to gear guard, compressor, outlets, bed lights.
No brainer with many cons .
Rightline is on the way
Will keep y’all posted

let the class begin:
We’ve been pitching tents since the 1960’s and we will not miss that experience for a minute.
Finally with our new $57 Rightline ( bought a faded dusty one from REI today) we’re up in 7 minutes on a dry, very level (thanks camp mode)platform with led lighting, AC outlets, and a much better view of the surroundings.
While we will mostly be at events at fairgrounds and parking lots, the bed mount tent seems more ‘protecting’ in the event of animal lurkers.
For these seniors the one extra small step to the pickup bed mattress compared to the Sealy at home is just one small step.
Climbing down onto the ground and up again gets very old as we get old.
Should we ever hear that voice say ‘hey, you can’t camp here!’ No biggie!
In under 3 minutes three poles get pulled, the fabric falls, gate closed, and we are outa Dodge.
We do realize that a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still and freedom of choice is all ours and yours.

Bunker Hill

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired Subsea Engineer
I looked at the Rightline (no sewn in floor) and the Napier Backroadz. I bought the Napier Backroadz because I thought I could make it fit better. Wish I'd gotten on this forum sooner, but I'm going to set up the Napier Backroadz tomorrow so I'll let you know how it fits. bike123.com, you made some really obvious "no-brainer" observations about the Napier with the sewn-in floor that I completely overlooked: access to some of the R1T's great features in the truck bed.

Does anyone know the difference between the Rgihtline short bed (5') and the short bed (5') tall bed? I can't figure out what a short tall bed is with respect to the tent dimensions. The other issue for me around the Rightline was the R1T unibody construction. I just wasn't sure how to keep the rain out since the back of the tent would not go down between the bed and the cab. If somebody is using the Rightline, can you please let us know how you get around this?

Maybe Napier and/or Rightline will make a Rivian R1T specific truck bed tent now that we're on the road.
Rivian R1T R1S Truck bed tents? Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 12.26.22 PM

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have to try and follow all these threads. I don’t know if it’s just me but since Covid hotels have been really poor with cleanliness and decent amenities. I’m not talking motel 6 type places but 250-400 dollar a night type places. I’m really trying to decide what the best way forward is.

I’m leaning towards a camper, but I really don’t want an extra thing I need to deal with keeping clean and since my towing vehicle is an EV my range will go to shit making significant travel extremely difficult. These tents might be a passable solution. I don’t need emperor level beds and sheets but a quality air mattress with my own bedding is going to be more comfortable than the average hotel mattress that’s made for durability not comfort.

Not to mention no one before me did god knows what on that sleeping bag before I’m laying in it. I’m the type of guy who takes a UV wand and an electrostatic disinfectant gun with me on vacation to clean the place. I’m not even super germophobic in general but just a little paranoid about where I sleep.

Point being the decision is difficult as to which way I want to go. Seems like a bed tent would suffice for trips with just the wife and I or a ground tent or a RTT. Camper would be ideal except for the massive towing range hit. This is my first EV and I have yet to take even a short trip with it so I don’t know that I want to make that massive leap in travel charging.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I have to try and follow all these threads. I don’t know if it’s just me but since Covid hotels have been really poor with cleanliness and decent amenities. I’m not talking motel 6 type places but 250-400 dollar a night type places. I’m really trying to decide what the best way forward is.

I’m leaning towards a camper, but I really don’t want an extra thing I need to deal with keeping clean and since my towing vehicle is an EV my range will go to shit making significant travel extremely difficult. These tents might be a passable solution. I don’t need emperor level beds and sheets but a quality air mattress with my own bedding is going to be more comfortable than the average hotel mattress that’s made for durability not comfort.

Not to mention no one before me did god knows what on that sleeping bag before I’m laying in it. I’m the type of guy who takes a UV wand and an electrostatic disinfectant gun with me on vacation to clean the place. I’m not even super germophobic in general but just a little paranoid about where I sleep.

Point being the decision is difficult as to which way I want to go. Seems like a bed tent would suffice for trips with just the wife and I or a ground tent or a RTT. Camper would be ideal except for the massive towing range hit. This is my first EV and I have yet to take even a short trip with it so I don’t know that I want to make that massive leap in travel charging.
We tried the Rightline tent - total bust.
The poles were incorrect lengths so we cut them as the temperatures dropped and the night rolled on.
Biggest pisser was the unibodies bed left no way to run straps and NO place to hook onto anywhere like fenders, wells, underbody.
We opened rear doors and hooked to door latches.
Kludged it up and settled in ….air mattress leaned and discovered the front seats are terrific beds !
Did this next two nights and no back ache .

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I had an incredibly comfortable set up in my previous truck that utilized the Napier tent.
one of the things I will say made they set up "next level" for me was I made a cowboy bedroll that fit in the bed (and under the tonneau) of my Silverado.
For the R1T a full mattress topper (4inch) would fit perfectly in the bed and provide the ability to have a made bed (sheets, pillows, blanket, comforter)

It was wonderfully comfortable, And over 100lbs lighter on the trail than a rtt.

Also, being on a level-able platform (rocks or traction boards previously) with no mud, or rocks to find your shoulder (no matter how much prep, I will find the single rock to poke my back in a ground tent.

Also, waking up to a bear leaning against your truck is a bit of a pucker moment, but infinity less stressful than a bear nuzzling you through a polyester sheet(tent wall).

Rivian R1T R1S Truck bed tents? 1670460053789
Sponsored

Last edited: