Sponsored

Truck bed tents?

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was thinking about looking into whether something like that existed as an alternative to RTTs since RTTs aren't really feasible for one person to mount without a lift.

Maybe there will be a third-party in-bed tent that will make use of the magnetic attachment points for a quicker/sturdier setup. Another advantage of a Rivian-intended in-bed tent would be the access that it would have to the electrical outlets. A tent could make use of those to have built-in lights or other electrical features (e.g. ventilation, heat, etc.), or it could just make them accessible from inside the tent.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I had one for my Nissan frontier. I loved it, still have it actually but won't fit in my short bed tacoma. With the added length from the tail gate I think it will work on the R1T. Way cheap option compared to the factory tent. Just not as convenient to set up and take down. Definitely want to keep the truck parked once you put it up. I used a airbed with it.

Rivian R1T R1S Truck bed tents? Screenshot_20211018-112643_Amazon Shoppin

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Had a tent like that for my Avalanche. Was pretty easy to use, and worked well. I used it about every other weekend for 3 years without issues. That said it was made specifically for the Avalanche. The R1T has some odd bed/tailgate dimensions compared to "normal" trucks so a universal fit tent might not work so well.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
This bed config would definitely be the easiest thing to load my dogs into and out of
 probably not as much floor space as the rooftop varieties but I could also spend a few nights at a Ritz Carlton with the money I’d save. :)

Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Hopefully someone is still trying to figure these out
For under $200 we are taking a shot at a Rightline - advantage being no floor
The glitch seems to be with the R1T ‘ unibody’ but we think we can fake the front attachment.
Question is do we get the tall bed or the normal model? Our bed sides are 19”
They make a 5’ ‘short’ bed and though we are 4’6” the overall length is just right with gate down.
Rightline support closed for weekend and we have a time crunch
Larry and Linda

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
perhaps Napier will make one to fit R1T

Moodyerdoc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Physician
Coming with an honest question here....what's the benefit of a truck bed tent over a ground tent? In my mind, you can buy a crazy awesome ground tent with much more versatility at a better price with more room, portability, features, etc. What's the key factor I'm missing here? I've spend a lot of years sleeping on the ground. I've never felt the need to be 3 feet up. Educate me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming with an honest question here....what's the benefit of a truck bed tent over a ground tent? In my mind, you can buy a crazy awesome ground tent with much more versatility at a better price with more room, portability, features, etc. What's the key factor I'm missing here? I've spend a lot of years sleeping on the ground. I've never felt the need to be 3 feet up. Educate me.
Having a more level sleeping surface is one benefit that comes to mind.

I'd rather be 3 feet in the air than 5-8 feet as with a roof top tent.

I also think a ground tent is the best option though. It's nice to not have to fold up your accommodation if you want to drive someplace for part of the day.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Well, you can level the truck in the r1t and, again, r1t specific, you have access to outlets without an extension cord. That said, I'm trying on-the-ground tent glamping my self before I spring for a $70K camper.

Sponsored

Moodyerdoc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
I suppose if wet weather, snowy climates, or unfriendly terrain are your normal adventures, I can see some benefit in that. Otherwise, I can pick a flat spot and deploy a gazelle T4 pretty fast. Do the truck bed tents seem constraining? A high quality 4 man tent will feel palatial for 2 people comparatively. I was reading that rooftop tents typically are much heavier with higher denier fabrics. Obviously this will help in more extreme conditions like above. Is this typically where you are using these truck-based tents? But for shoulder season and pleasant-weather camping...the value/benefit for an elevated tent is hard for me to visualize, but comes with some significant limitations in portability, cost, market options, etc. I've been trying to talk myself into needing one, because they're "neat", Just can't get there.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

perhaps Napier will make one to fit R1T
Thanks
Napier are very well made BUT has sewn in floor
Limited or no access to gear guard, compressor, outlets, bed lights.
No brainer with many cons .
Rightline is on the way
Will keep y’all posted
let the class begin:
We’ve been pitching tents since the 1960’s and we will not miss that experience for a minute.
Finally with our new $57 Rightline ( bought a faded dusty one from REI today) we’re up in 7 minutes on a dry, very level (thanks camp mode)platform with led lighting, AC outlets, and a much better view of the surroundings.
While we will mostly be at events at fairgrounds and parking lots, the bed mount tent seems more ‘protecting’ in the event of animal lurkers.
For these seniors the one extra small step to the pickup bed mattress compared to the Sealy at home is just one small step.
Climbing down onto the ground and up again gets very old as we get old.
Should we ever hear that voice say ‘hey, you can’t camp here!’ No biggie!
In under 3 minutes three poles get pulled, the fabric falls, gate closed, and we are outa Dodge.
We do realize that a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still and freedom of choice is all ours and yours.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks
Rightline is on the way
Will keep y’all posted
Seems relatively trivial to add access points in the walls/ floor for things like the gearguard/compressor panel, and have keep-out space for the buttons on the bed rails, if such a tent is made to fit the R1T bed.

My decade old MSR hubba hubba is pitched or taken down in five minutes if i'm being leisurely.
Modern ground tents can be very quick.

I get the advantage of not having to get up and down from the ground though.

Moodyerdoc

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Thanks
Rightline is on the way
Will keep y’all posted

let the class begin:
We’ve been pitching tents since the 1960’s and we will not miss that experience for a minute.
Finally with our new $57 Rightline ( bought a faded dusty one from REI today) we’re up in 7 minutes on a dry, very level (thanks camp mode)platform with led lighting, AC outlets, and a much better view of the surroundings.
While we will mostly be at events at fairgrounds and parking lots, the bed mount tent seems more ‘protecting’ in the event of animal lurkers.
For these seniors the one extra small step to the pickup bed mattress compared to the Sealy at home is just one small step.
Climbing down onto the ground and up again gets very old as we get old.
Should we ever hear that voice say ‘hey, you can’t camp here!’ No biggie!
In under 3 minutes three poles get pulled, the fabric falls, gate closed, and we are outa Dodge.
We do realize that a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still and freedom of choice is all ours and yours.
I can see that. For those with mobility issues I can certainly see a benefit. Though with mobility issues are there not similar challenges getting in and out of the bed of the truck? I guess hauling a step around could solve that. I think in terms of roof top tents as well, which would seem to provide a greater challenge in ingress/egress than a ground tent, particularly if mobility is an issue.

I'm coming from a background of backcountry long distance ultralight backpacking, where light, fast, and simple are the main currencies. Entire camp set up and tear down occurs in minutes. Every ounce has a purpose and a 3 oz inflatable pillow is considered a luxury item. And function trumps form in every aspect. So I look at most of these elevated set ups as glamping, where sometimes form, cool factor, and complexity are favored over practicality and function. So I like the back-and-forth to consider the factors that lead some like you to the solution you have found, but perhaps to also make others consider the perfectly feasible and perhaps better ground alternatives to some of the expensive truck-based setups out there. These newer ground tents are certainly designed better these days and can be set up in a breeze. I've never thought of the process as "pitching" a tent anymore. There's pop ups like the gazelle that are a snap. If we're car camping, We pick a level spot, bring an extension cord, and spread out and relax. But I'm only 45 and even at my age, I agree that getting up and down off our comfy ground mattress sometimes doesn't feel great on the knees. Seems to work for you and something that you graduated to after doing the ground-game for some time. I predict that many others though have sacrificed function in favor of form in some of these truck based set ups and could probably get greater value and versatility from a traditional set up. The one thing you mentioned that I don't understand is access to the bed amenities. Why do you need access to the air compressor, gear guard, or outlets when you sleep? Unless you've got some crazy CPAP set up. :). A truck bed tent would seem to me to be in the way of accessing these items when you're awake (i.e. when you'll be using them) but I suppose that accessibility depends on your tent design. Obviously not an issue with a roof top. set up.. . Just curious. Also, What do you do with all your gear that's in the back of the truck when you set up your tent? We like having room in our tent vestibules to put things we want protected from the elements (muddy shoes and clothes, packs, coolers, Stuff that won't fit in the gear tunnel and that we definitely wouldn't want in the truck.)?

Interestingly, when I look at this:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/truck-bed-tents.2484/#post-210713:~:text=Non-Rivian rooftop tents

I see pages of pictures of these extremely expensive roof top tents. all deployed in driveways, parking lots, level established campgrounds, and all other sorts of environments that are totally conducive to a regular tent that could offer greater value and versatility. But they look cool. However, I rarely see them pictured in environments where they would have a true benefit for the average camper. I say, spend less than half the money, and a lot of these peeps can have the most amazing and versatile ground setup imaginable. BTW, you called yourself a "senior". I hope I'm doing the same stuff you are when I call myself that :). congrats.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

TMI?
We’re on both sides of 70 and I can hop in the bed and You’re right we use a single step at the gate
This is simply a place to catch 7 hours of z at the occasional event at the store or on the road.
Like on the small ship cruises where we crew bike events, we spend almost no time in cabin .
I don’t think I mentioned gear guard or compressor .
We eat fruits and nuts in the am no cooking but she indulges in a smoothie and travels with a blender so wall juice is handy
Roof or bed crossbar flip out tent ?
We see complicated, awkward, and heavy ‘because we could’ contraption but we see there could be some outlier appeal in some lifestyles. Besides, Where would we put our bikes?
If we have to reposition at an event driving slowly is doable, for real movement canvas down, rails on, bikes on rails - ( minutes max.
Stubborn we are especially when it comes to a pick up.
After 10 sedans , 9 wagons, and 7 vans since 1966, we never had a pu, in fact scorned them as having no advantage to our van except for mulch, stone, and trees.
3 months into the R1S order we discovered 7 pax model only and very limited cargo height, we switched to pu and zero regrets.
Just cannot imagine our life with an S.
Two very happy campers.
Sponsored

Last edited: