Sponsored

Trick to getting Great Guard cable to lock in R1T?

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Folks, I’ve googled and searched here and can’t find any info on tips and tricks to try if the locking mechanism (below the compressor) for the guard cables doesn’t lock. I’ve tried everything I can think of to no avail. I have read about some locking mechanisms that have malfunctioned. However before I call Rivian service, I wanted to ping the brain trust out there for any sage advice all y’all may have. Many thanks!!

Ohm Boy
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Did you search the owner's guide and read how to use the cable?

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Yes, that was the first thing did of course.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No, we can't assume "of course" because it turns out most people don't look in the manual. And you didn't say you did - you just said you searched the forum and googled.

If you followed the instructions and they didn't work you need to make a service appointment to get it fixed - asking here isn't going to help. Mine works as described in the owner's guide.

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

No, we can't assume "of course" because it turns out most people don't look in the manual. And you didn't say you did - you just said you searched the forum and googled.

If you followed the instructions and they didn't work you need to make a service appointment to get it fixed - asking here isn't going to help. Mine works as described in the owner's guide.
Wow!! You are quite the Talmudist!! I stand corrected. 🙂

…to a certain point. Everyone here - well, almost everyone - is very helpful with this very complex vehicle we own. Or lease!! We mustn’t leave out the option of leases. Asking here is a totally logical thing to do. Asking you apparently is not, unless you had a bad sandwich or something and you usually are not quite so curmudgeonly. If the reason for the latter part of your response is indeed so alimentary (pun intended), have a seltzer and, by gosh, I hope for your sake and everybody else’s that you feel better soon.

I will continue to post questions on this most excellent forum as I have them. I am that dumb.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You should hear the latches cycle when you lock and unlock the vehicle. If you aren't hearing it, likely means they need to be serviced. I think others have had issues with them before.

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Don't they lock only when the vehicle is locked? If you're checking it while the vehicle is unlocked, then that may be the issue?
Excellent point. The doors we’re locked but the tailgate was down. I’ll check the manual to see if the tailgate locks which I’m guessing it might. Thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

You should hear the latches cycle when you lock and unlock the vehicle. If you aren't hearing it, likely means they need to be serviced. I think others have had issues with them before.
Dark, thanks!! There is some noise that the latches make. My first thought about something like this is “pilot error”. I’ll give it another go. I didn’t want to schedule a service call if there issue is indeed pilot error and the latches are perfectly fine.

Thanks again!!

lgyee4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Carrera, WR250, RZ500, RZ350
Clubs

My lock was non functional when I picked up the truck (as was the compressor). Got it serviced and now, locking the cable when I lock the truck is a working thing. Calling the service folks is not a bad idea.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

My lock was non functional when I picked up the truck (as was the compressor). Got it serviced and now, locking the cable when I lock the truck is a working thing. Calling the service folks is not a bad idea.
Thanks!!

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

When I lock the truck, the cable won’t pull out of the lock when I yank on the cable
Sponsored