Trade-In Process / Experience?

elas9000

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mercedes SLC & 2019 Mercedes GLA
Just wondering if any recent purchases involved a trade-in. How was the process? Does Rivian facilitate the trade-in directly or does a third party handle? How does trade-in value compare to other trade-in estimations?
Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I second this question. I have a Wrangler that (for no real reason) is worth much more than it was 2 years ago when I bought it and I would love to know if I will be treated relatively fairly on trade-in.

I really don't want to have to go through the pain of selling it myself and paying the extra sales taxes on the Rivian (Iowa nets out the trade-in for sales taxes).

OEVA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oeva.org
Vehicles
many
I second this question. I have a Wrangler that (for no real reason) is worth much more than it was 2 years ago when I bought it and I would love to know if I will be treated relatively fairly on trade-in.

I really don't want to have to go through the pain of selling it myself and paying the extra sales taxes on the Rivian (Iowa nets out the trade-in for sales taxes).
You will get offered a value that will allow Rivian to sell it at a small profit to someone else who will sell it at a bigger profit on the retail market.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
You will get offered a value that will allow Rivian to sell it at a small profit to someone else who will sell it at a bigger profit on the retail market.
Hilarious...

I am just curious if they are offering NADA/KBB clean trade-in numbers or are they throwing out lower figures because they plan to just wholesale the vehicles. Without a dealership structure I am not sure if they plan to try to sell them at retail or not.

If someone has an actual trade-in experience they could weigh-in and let us know how it went on values.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
AFAIK, Rivian has partnered with COX Automotive to handle the trade-in process. Rivian will certainly not be selling non-Rivian trade-in vehicles directly. They will be wholesaled/auctioned.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

If you want to take advantage of the crazy used car prices currently, sell it to Carvana or vroom, which are both lighting as much OPM on fire as fast as possible to prove their system works. Do it soon.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
AFAIK, Rivian has partnered with COX Automotive to handle the trade-in process. Rivian will certainly not be selling non-Rivian trade-in vehicles directly. They will be wholesaled/auctioned.
Cox owns Mannheim, so trades will all go to auction.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If the used car market is as hot when you get your Rivian as it is right now, you will get more money selling private party or even going to Carvana/Carmax etc than trading it in to Rivian whose 3rd party will take it to auction. There is still currently a lack of used and new car inventory driving prices higher.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Anyone have an ill fitting tweed plaid suit I can borrow to sell my used whip on the open market? I'm 5'8, 178Lbs. The car is mint by the way, only driven to church on Sundays maintenance receipts still in the glove box.
Gotta be ready for s00n!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

In many states, your trade in value can be applied towards your truck purchase to lower your overall sales tax. What I want to know is if that applies when using Cox to handle the trade in. From what I'm seeing, there is a decent chance it won't apply.

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
In many states, your trade in value can be applied towards your truck purchase to lower your overall sales tax. What I want to know is if that applies when using Cox to handle the trade in. From what I'm seeing, there is a decent chance it won't apply.
If you are trading in your vehicle towards your Rivian, then it should be listed on the paperwork as a trade in, which would offset the new vehicle price by that amount. It you are selling it to Cox and not trading it in, then that’s a different story. But everything on the Rivian website says trade in, so you should be good.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I think it would depend on the flow of the paperwork. If Cox is buying a car directly off the Rivian customer, that sale wouldn't be listed as a trade. It's just a straight sale, same as a private party deal, and a matter of convenience for the Rivian buyer. If the trade is listed on the Rivian buyer's order, then it would be a trade - even if the value is determined by Cox and they end up with the vehicle in the end.

ETA: @Rousie13 beat me to it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Should be processed as a trade allowing for sales tax offset (where applicable) according to Rivian's FAQ.

Rivian R1T R1S Trade-In Process / Experience? trade-i

Here in TX, the stipulations are that "the trade-in must be taken as part of the same sales transaction and transferred directly to the seller" both of which appear to apply according to the above. Can't speak for the laws elsewhere.

jefft850

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Banking wholesaler
Clubs

I've traded a BMW in to Tesla three years ago and they were able to give me a value way ahead of time without them viewing the vehicle. I worked indirectly in the car business and had friends at dealerships so I tried to orchestrate an in-and-out deal where I had a wholesale buyer for my trade for Tesla to sell it to the same day I traded it in. They said I wasn't the first person who wanted to do that but they couldn't help that way. I then learned later that the Tesla trade ins were very sought after used vehicles because of the quality of the clientele. Certain dealer groups would commit to buying as many as Tesla would sell them, and commit to a % above recent auction market values for the same vehicle. Had to go with auction because no one was viewing the vehicles before trade in. I assume a similar situation will develop for Rivian trade ins, as the market grows and more deliveries are scheduled, those trade in vehicles will be a hot commodity and I recommend not settling for the first number offered. Do some research and have a reasonable counter offer and see what you can negotiate on the trade in.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've traded a BMW in to Tesla three years ago and they were able to give me a value way ahead of time without them viewing the vehicle. I worked indirectly in the car business and had friends at dealerships so I tried to orchestrate an in-and-out deal where I had a wholesale buyer for my trade for Tesla to sell it to the same day I traded it in. They said I wasn't the first person who wanted to do that but they couldn't help that way. I then learned later that the Tesla trade ins were very sought after used vehicles because of the quality of the clientele. Certain dealer groups would commit to buying as many as Tesla would sell them, and commit to a % above recent auction market values for the same vehicle. Had to go with auction because no one was viewing the vehicles before trade in. I assume a similar situation will develop for Rivian trade ins, as the market grows and more deliveries are scheduled, those trade in vehicles will be a hot commodity and I recommend not settling for the first number offered. Do some research and have a reasonable counter offer and see what you can negotiate on the trade in.
I bet Rivian will NOT negotiate on trade in values. I think take-it-or-leave-it will be their stance.
Sponsored