Trade-in offer and process?

jaxrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Occupation
attorney
Has anyone traded their car into Rivian? If so how was the offer and the process? thanks
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Their offer was offensively low. Walked into a CarMax and was offered something like $11k more, on the spot.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
I traded in our 2015 Subaru Outback using Rivian. Rivian's offer was $1K less than Carvana and $1,250 less than Vroom. I opted for the convenience of being able use my old car until I had taken delivery of the R1T and didn't want to park the Outback on the street. The process was easy. I handed over my title, they removed the license plates, put it on the carrier, and drove off.

Lpotter86

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I wound up getting $6k more from a local dealer then what Rivian offered on My 22 Froniter

jhatfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda Ridgeline
Their offer was pretty low on my 2020 Honda Ridgeline. I was offered over $4k more through several places (vroom, local dealer, driveway, etc), but since there is a trade in tax credit in my state, the difference in the end was fairly small so I went with the Rivian offer because it was easier.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I traded in my RAM 1500 Limited to Rivian. They pulled up to my home with an R1T on a flatbed and took my RAM away. It was by far the most painless purchase/trade-in process I have ever experienced.

I sold two cars to Vroom, late last year and early this year. They easily beat Carmax and Carvana on price. I was expecting Rivian to be low but it turned out to the the highest of the four I quoted. Also, in WA state, I save on taxes (turned out to be $3300) because the new car tax burden is lowered by the trade in amount.

Honorz

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MY, 2018 Q7 , 2015 Q5 TDI,
Initially, I was in the same boat as most others. I Got a significantly lower offer from Rivian.
however in the interval time period, between estimate and arrival, everybody dropped their initial offers- whereas Rivian stayed pretty much the same. I guess the used car market has definitely dropped with the increasing interest rates. This caused a mad scramble on the last day before delivery, but my guide helped me line everything up.
i got less than I wanted, but it was convenient.

dspwalker

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E
Occupation
Sales
I have checked 3 places and so far Rivian is the highest offer plus adding the tax credit for my state. I have to check Carmax today or tomorrow.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
From what I can tell, there is no rhyme or reason for who gives you the best offer. Rivian was mid-pack for me, and close to the top after the tax consideration. Carmax was ridiculously low. Driveway pulled a bait & switch (suddenly dropped offer by $8K without any reason why). Others were mainly low.
I think you need to get quotes from each company - I haven't seen any company consistently being higher or lower than the rest.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I traded in our 2015 Subaru Outback using Rivian. Rivian's offer was $1K less than Carvana and $1,250 less than Vroom. I opted for the convenience of being able use my old car until I had taken delivery of the R1T and didn't want to park the Outback on the street. The process was easy. I handed over my title, they removed the license plates, put it on the carrier, and drove off.
You also get the same ax credit of trading in your old car.

Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
You also get the same ax credit of trading in your old car.
Depends on the state. Not all states offer that tax incentive if you trade a vehicle in. We don’t have that here in MD unfortunately.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

The offer I got from Rivian was not reasonable at all. $50k for a 2022 Mach-E (Premium, Extended Range, RWD), where most other online car buying services were well over $60k.

Consider the online services: Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Driveway, Shift, CarBuyerUSA, Givemethevin, Carlotz, and InRide (local to DC area). Also consider large family dealerships like Autonation.

Much better offers to be had.

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3M / Rivian R1T (future)
Clubs

Depends on the state. Not all states offer that tax incentive if you trade a vehicle in. We don’t have that here in MD unfortunately.
Are you referring to Maryland? We do get the trade-in tax credit. I did for a new vehicle purchase in 2020.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
How does Rivian evaluate the trade? Mainly through pictures submitted? I wonder if their offers are generally lower to compensate for possible "hidden" issues.

GR

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How does Rivian evaluate the trade? Mainly through pictures submitted? I wonder if their offers are generally lower to compensate for possible "hidden" issues.
they dont ask for pictures or even what equipment you have. They just take the vin and spit out a number.
Sponsored