JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Towed the Aliner Expedition from home in coastal NC to central South Carolina. We we’d been looking for a place to go for a quick getaway, and a place that’s EV friendly.

The South Carolina State Park system has an arrangement with Rivian, and there are waypoint chargers at each park. Just got here today, will do some hiking and exploring tomorrow. The R1T is hooked up for an overnight charge at the waypoint charger, about a half mile from the campsite.

Starting with a full charge at home, and getting a full charge here means the 275 mile one way trip needs only one charge, which we did at a Circle K on I95. Nice chargers, maxed at 167 kW.

As you see from the screenshot we averaged 1.5 m/kWh with the Aliner, which the Rivian reports as 3,000 pounds. That sounds about right. Mine has a factory dry weight sticker of 2,345. I drive the speed limit, except on a 70 mph interstate where I stay at 65 in the right lane.

Rivian R1T R1S Towed Aliner Expedition Camper from coastal NC to central South Carolina IMG_4048
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 1500SLT Crew cab
Occupation
Retired
Towed the Aliner Expedition from home in coastal NC to central South Carolina. We we’d been looking for a place to go for a quick getaway, and a place that’s EV friendly. The South Carolina State Park system has an arrangement with Rivian, and there are waypoint chargers at each park. Just got here today, will do some hiking and exploring tomorrow. The R1T is hooked up for an overnight charge at the waypoint charger, about a half mile from the campsite. Starting with a full charge at home, and getting a full charge here means the 275 mile one way trip needs only one charge, which we did at a Circle K on I95. Nice chargers, maxed at 167 kW. As you see from the screenshot we averaged 1.5 m/kWh with the Aliner, which the Rivian reports as 3,000 pounds. That sounds about right. Mine has a factory dry weight sticker of 2,345. I drive the speed limit, except on a 70 mph interstate where I stay at 65 in the right lane.

IMG_4048.jpeg
Welcome to Wedgefield!

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
That sounds like a fun trip. I’ll have to check out the chargers when I visit SC this summer. Does Rivian plan on having chargers at every major national and state park? That’s a great goal if true.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That sounds like a fun trip. I’ll have to check out the chargers when I visit SC this summer. Does Rivian plan on having chargers at every major national and state park? That’s a great goal if true.
NC does not have them (Rivian Waypoint chargers) in the state parks nor VA insofar as I know. However VA and NC have the Adventure DCFC along the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is very nice. There’s good hiking here, we did an 3 and a half mile loop this morning and is apparently a very popular mountain/trail biking spot. I’ll post a few pix when my phone finishes syncing to iCloud. And there is decent Verizon LTE coverage here too which is nice.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

NC does not have them (Rivian Waypoint chargers) in the state parks nor VA insofar as I know. However VA and NC have the Adventure DCFC along the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is very nice. There’s good hiking here, we did an 3 and a half mile loop this morning and is apparently a very popular mountain/trail biking spot. I’ll post a few pix when my phone finishes syncing to iCloud. And there is decent Verizon LTE coverage here too which is nice.
There's a waypoint charger in the outer Banks at a park. I'm not sure if it's a state park or national park though. It's kind of in an odd spot.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That's good efficiency at those speeds! At 60mph I get 1.6-1.7 with our TrailManor which is a bit bigger and heavier but speed kills. I'm jealous about the Waypoints. So far CA state parks have dropped the ball on this.
Rivian R1T R1S Towed Aliner Expedition Camper from coastal NC to central South Carolina 2024-01-04 15.29.48

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Towed the Aliner Expedition from home in coastal NC to central South Carolina. We we’d been looking for a place to go for a quick getaway, and a place that’s EV friendly.

The South Carolina State Park system has an arrangement with Rivian, and there are waypoint chargers at each park. Just got here today, will do some hiking and exploring tomorrow. The R1T is hooked up for an overnight charge at the waypoint charger, about a half mile from the campsite.

Starting with a full charge at home, and getting a full charge here means the 275 mile one way trip needs only one charge, which we did at a Circle K on I95. Nice chargers, maxed at 167 kW.

As you see from the screenshot we averaged 1.5 m/kWh with the Aliner, which the Rivian reports as 3,000 pounds. That sounds about right. Mine has a factory dry weight sticker of 2,345. I drive the speed limit, except on a 70 mph interstate where I stay at 65 in the right lane.

IMG_4048.jpeg
Any pictures of your rig?

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for posting the photos - we've always been full-on tent campers but as I become less young, the idea of a trailer is becoming more and more appealing. My parents went full time in a 34 ft RV for 12 years after they retired (and rented out their townhouse in northern VA to pay for it). I've been looking at both the Aliner AMP and the Trailmanor series. It's really nice to see photos of them in use with a Rivian.

The other thought I had was trying to sleep in our R1S. I'm too old for a RTT and the thought of climbing down the ladder multiple times during the night is less than appealing. We'll see where it evolves.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What's your normal range? And how's that A liner look when towing?

Sponsored

sunrogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
writer
Clubs

NC does not have them (Rivian Waypoint chargers) in the state parks nor VA insofar as I know. However VA and NC have the Adventure DCFC along the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is very nice.
Tennessee has a well-distributed network of waypoint chargers, too.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
What's your normal range? And how's that A liner look when towing?
Range 350 in conserve, 320 all purpose, 210 pulling the Aliner, 150 towing the 24’ Boston Whaler walk around (Conquest 236) but I live just a mile from the boat ramp 😜

As to the look of the Aliner towing, it folds to about 6 feet, so you can’t see over it with mirrors. With the bed view camera, I can see a truck behind, but not a car…

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Final stats with about 80 miles w/o trailer.

The Waypoint charger at Poinsett park made all the difference!

Rivian R1T R1S Towed Aliner Expedition Camper from coastal NC to central South Carolina IMG_4084
Sponsored