Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
What is everyone using for tow mirrors?

I never had them before but will need them for my new travel trailer..
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Iā€™ve never towed anything large so excuse my ignorance. Could one just leave the camera surround view on while towing to help with blind spot monitoring? Would the trailer be cut off by the edge of the surround view?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I tow my travel trailer with the standard mirrors. They are small and kinda suck but itā€™s still safe and doable.

Iā€™ve never towed anything large so excuse my ignorance. Could one just leave the camera surround view on while towing to help with blind spot monitoring? Would the trailer be cut off by the edge of the surround view?
That would not work at all.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I bought a set of these to get an RV home years ago and figured I would replace them with something better latter. I've kept looking but never found anything I thought were much of an improvement. I really don't want anything larger than the stock mirrors permanently installed.

I've used this same set on various vehicles for over a decade; probably 20-25 camping trips each year. Easy on, easy off. They track with the vehicle mirror adjustment and therefore serve very effectively as an temporary extension.

Going on, be sure to wet the suction cub. Use the knob to increase the vacuum. Properly done, they will stay on until you want them off by releasing the vacuum.

I've ordered a new set for the Rivian, not because I need to, but because the paint has faded a bit over time. They still work perfectly with little to no care taken.

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
The surround view would only stich together the immediate area. Wouldnā€™t be able to see whatā€™s actually behind the truck.

The wheel cameras can see a little bit more, but theyā€™re angled pretty far down and not really far enough back.

I bought a set of these to get an RV home years ago and figured I would replace them with something better latter. I've kept looking but never found anything I thought were much of an improvement. I really don't want anything larger than the stock mirrors permanently installed.

I've used this same set on various vehicles for over a decade; probably 20-25 camping trips each year. Easy on, easy off. They track with the vehicle mirror adjustment and therefore serve very effectively as an temporary extension.

Going on, be sure to wet the suction cub. Use the knob to increase the vacuum. Properly done, they will stay on until you want them off by releasing the vacuum.

I've ordered a new set for the Rivian, not because I need to, but because the paint has faded a bit over time. They still work perfectly with little to no care taken.
Thank you! $11 on Amazon warehouse for the driver side. Just ordered one.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Think i tried just about every option on the market and couldn't find anything that fit the mirrors properly or was janky quality. Ended up with this wireless camera. Works great. Even has a solar option but I just leave it charging in the center console and attach when needed. Get the magnetic mount for easy on/off. Solar charger works good though won't be necessary unless it's a multi day road trip. https://a.co/d/dHzUhz9

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The surround view would only stich together the immediate area. Wouldnā€™t be able to see whatā€™s actually behind the truck.

The wheel cameras can see a little bit more, but theyā€™re angled pretty far down and not really far enough back.

Thank you! $11 on Amazon warehouse for the driver side. Just ordered one.
You'll likely find you like the convex or 'flat' better or worse. I think I like the convex one best for both sides.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
You are welcome to have my clip-on set from a prior vehicle. They are similar to the Dometicā€™s posted above.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Think i tried just about every option on the market and couldn't find anything that fit the mirrors properly or was janky quality. Ended up with this wireless camera. Works great. Even has a solar option but I just leave it charging in the center console and attach when needed. Get the magnetic mount for easy on/off. Solar charger works good though won't be necessary unless it's a multi day road trip. https://a.co/d/dHzUhz9
I picked up a wireless solar backup camera as well, but I know that doesnā€™t meet the legal requirements in some states. .

I suppose you might be towing an 8 ft wide trailer?
8.5ft with the awning.

You are welcome to have my clip-on set from a prior vehicle. They are similar to the Dometicā€™s posted above.
I appreciate it! Iā€™m going to give the suction ones a try first, I like the idea if not clipping it and possibly damaging the plastics as well as being able to adjust them with the power mirrors

Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Reality is pulling a 8ā€™+ wide trailer behind the Rivian you wonā€™t be able to see to change lanes. The trailer camera helps, especially with depth of the trailing cars but youā€™ll have huge blind spots. Donā€™t love the look, but have towed thousands of miles in all weather and never damaged paint or plastic.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I picked up a wireless solar backup camera as well, but I know that doesnā€™t meet the legal requirements in some
Then use the camera and don't get too hung up on the mirrors. At the end of the day, what really matters isn't legal requirements but being able to tow comfortably and safely! If get pulled over by the poo poo for breaking some mirror law...you'll be the first person I know that has. I've towed my 26" atc car trailer a lot with the r1t (though not far as it gets 90 miles range at 100%). Using just stock mirrors works fine is you are mindful of lane changes. But the camera gives you 100% visibility with no blind spots.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
You'll likely find you like the convex or 'flat' better or worse. I think I like the convex one best for both sides.
Having the mirror helped a ton, thank you!

I had the backup camera as well but with the headlights behind me it was a bit difficult to use. The mirror was a bit more helpful.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Having the mirror helped a ton, thank you!

I had the backup camera as well but with the headlights behind me it was a bit difficult to use. The mirror was a bit more helpful.
I'm glad it was even a little helpful. I like the mirror particularly when lane changing or merging.

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Found this thread as I am shopping for mirror extensions too. Iā€™m going to try these as theyā€™re decently priced and well rated. Iā€™ve had bad luck with suction cups in general.

Milenco MIL-4381 Falcon Towing Mirrors - Pair https://a.co/d/2dwKskI
Sponsored