First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Why did they have that RTT on the R1T the whole time?
Because it's a UK-based crew filming in the US with a rented R1T, most likely, and they didn't want to spend time removing what was already installed. They'll just simply compensate the owner for cost of a new set of bars.

Last edited:

jfoonly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Clubs

Why did they have that RTT on the R1T the whole time?
They said in the beginning that they have separate videos about camping in both vehicles (though I couldn't find it quickly). And they probably didn't have a place to offload it.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
It was painful to watch them thrashing the R1T with the tent on the crossbars. Surprising, and impressive, that the only damage was a bent crossbar. I expected the whole tent to get launched off the bed at some point.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I think they are giving a disadvantage to R1T because R1T is the best truck that has ever been built …
I’m sensing a Chuck Norris moment:
  1. The R1 was never “built”. The universe formed around it.
  2. The R1 does not bounce over bumps
😍

Sponsored

OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

I’m sensing a Chuck Norris moment:
  1. The R1 was never “built”. The universe formed around it.
  2. The R1 does not bounce over bumps
😍
2. should be...the R1 does not bounce over bumps, the earth bounces off the R1.

FUBAR!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivan R1T, Chevy Bolt, Built Lancer Evolution X
Occupation
I engineer things one can hold
Clubs

Because it's a UK-based crew filming in the US with a rented R1T, most likely, and they didn't want to spend time removing what was already installed. They'll just simply compensate the owner for cost of a new set of bars.
I’m pretty sure it’s a Rivian media vehicle…I saw this in the back of one of their of their Irvine facilities a few weeks ago and was wondering how they bent the back bar…now I know.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Correct.

I expect the "virtual locker" in the CT to be just as useless as the one in the Hummer. 😔
Until I see a better explanation about how it works, I'll assume "virtual locker" is Tesla's way of calling their tuning for Rock Crawling. I.e it's the same or very similar to the capability of the QM when in Rock Crawl Mode. Nothing that will make a big difference.

I think they are giving a disadvantage to R1T because R1T is the best truck that has ever been built and they don't want to make Cybertruck look too bad.... But it was bad...
I also noted that in their shot when they had the two trucks behind them the Tesla was standing at their highest suspension setting while the R1T was not even in Standard. Could have been in Sport mode. Then when they take off you can clearly see the R1T is on a high suspension setting. Makes me wonder if it was done on purpose.

So for those that know better about this things, and If we speculate that the QM will go away and the Trimotor will be the flagship which is better

What would be the best combination of motors for off roading that Rivian could offer?

1. Dual motor i.e one on each axle
2. Trimotor with a single motor in the front
3. Trimotor with the single motor in the rear
4. Other

Last edited:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Until I see a better explanation about how it works, I'll assume "virtual locker" is Tesla's way of calling their tuning for Rock Crawling. I.e it's the same or very similar to the capability of the QM when in Rock Crawl Mode. Nothing that will make a big difference.

I also noted that in their shot when they had the two trucks behind them the Tesla was standing at their highest suspension setting while the R1T was not even in Standard. Could have been in Sport mode. Then when they take off you can clearly see the R1T is on a high suspension setting. Makes me wonder if it was done on purpose.
Current CTs are dual motor aren't they? So at each axle, there is a differential. Lockers reside in the differential. If it can be controlled via software and a GUI, then it could be an electro-magnetic or hydraulic locker with variable amounts of lock. Air lockers are on/off types I think? so I don't think that's plausible.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Watched it yesterday. Pretty good video and for cybertruck owners waiting for the lockers to be enabled, gives them a glimpse of the upcoming off road update.

Sending it through the whoops and the sand dunes was hilarious
My Cybertruck already got the front and rear locking differentials enabled on the latest software update. Installed earlier today. It also has new modes like one for deep gravel/snow and hill ascent/descent speed control. This will be really handy for maintaining steady speed when the going gets rough.

I can't figure out why so many owners were complaining that Tesla was making sure all the features were solid before releasing them. I loved that I got three weeks to familiarize myself with my new truck before getting new stuff enabled.

Sponsored

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
I expect the "virtual locker" in the CT to be just as useless as the one in the Hummer. 😔
The Dual Motor Cybertruck has mechanical lockers front and rear.

And I think you might be surprised at the effectiveness of the implementation of the front software defined locker in the Tri-Motor CyberBeast.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

My Cybertruck already got the front and rear locking differentials enabled on the latest software update. Installed earlier today. It also has new modes like one for deep gravel/snow and hill ascent/descent speed control. This will be really handy for maintaining steady speed when the going gets rough.

I can't figure out why so many owners were complaining that Tesla was making sure all the features were solid before releasing them. I loved that I got three weeks to familiarize myself with my new truck before getting new stuff enabled.
Yea that's going to be an absolute beast with locking diffs. Anyone who's owned a vehicle with them knows that no matter how good the traction control system, it still doesn't have a chance when things get super serious. The Rivian is surprisingly competent but I think it just got trumped.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

It also has new modes like one for deep gravel/snow and hill ascent/descent speed control. This will be really handy for maintaining steady speed when the going gets rough.
ascent/descent control would be a nice addition to the Rivian Offroad software.

OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

updated the post to include the camping test...

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
the ctbertruck does match the median quality of british dental work.
Sponsored