OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Can we get a pic of the true measurement of the tire height with measuring tape? Some 35โ€™s measure differently.
I think checked this before mounting them as was a bit worried as they appeared massive, but think found was right at the claimed 34.8in. Not sure though I actually measured this as its all a blur now. I don't plan to have it off the ground soon to check as that is the only fair measurement but its right at 34in with 55 PSI on the ground now. Wheel width will effect this a little too. The Revs Per Mile also seems to be a better spec to look at for size when doing comparisons.
Sponsored

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

This looks amazing!!

So, If I were to copy this setup on my R1T, I would likely need to buy 5 wheels, right? As the OEM spare 20" is a different outside diameter, so at that point it would be useless as a spare?

Although with the quad motors, nothing is physically connected like "normal" AWD setups, so maybe it would work to have different OD wheels on one axle?

Would a 35 even fit in the spare tire well?

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This looks amazing!!
So, If I were to copy this setup on my R1T, I would likely need to buy 5 wheels, right? As the OEM spare 20" is a different outside diameter, so at that point it would be useless as a spare?

Although with the quad motors, nothing is physically connected like "normal" AWD setups, so maybe it would work to have different OD wheels on one axle?

I don't think need different spare. Fairly sure the compact spare on R1S is smaller than any of the standard tires when inflated and there is already about an inch of difference between the street 21in/22in tires vs. the all-terrain 20in AT. My Falken R/T is about .7in taller than the Pirelli AT.

Unless the software sees the wheel speed being very different and does not like it and freaks out, I agree that nothing should be physically connected between the four wheels so should be able to use just about anything for temporary use as spare. Of coarse am taking a bit of a guess here. Would be nice to know for sure but I suspect anything +-10% (~3in) minimum is probably just fine.

These Falken 35x11.5in are 2.6in wider and the .7in taller, so should be able to do a visual check to see if chance of fitting in R1T vs. the Pirelli AT tire. Width is the bigger concern than being a "35". Might also be able to deflate if needs just a little.

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Genesis
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

Happy with how this setup turned out so far. Thuren wheels are real beefy and well thought out to fit bigger tires. Mine were custom ordered in gloss black. The new Falken Wildpeak R/T's are just coming out to the masses and really impressed with them. Quite on the road and did not pick up any gravel in the treads on my first test. They are 35 x 11.5in and D load range rated. No rubbing even in Low on the streets or High/Highest for off road so far.

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8498.JPG

IMG_8499.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG
Looks SO GOOD! Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the 35X11.5R20LT instead of the LT285/65R20? (almost identical diameter, but "D" vs. "E" rated respectively)

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Looks SO GOOD! Out of curiosity, why did you opt for the 35X11.5R20LT instead of the LT285/65R20? (almost identical diameter, but "D" vs. "E" rated respectively)
Cause I can truly say they are 35's and no argument as its on the sidewall!!!!!! Haha ...

Main reason is you get another 2mm of tread depth so bit better traction if gets sloppy and potentially even longer life.

I like the D rated as should give more sidewall flex for more traction off road yet still rated higher than stock and up to 65 PSI so even higher to help offset some of the loss of range range on road trips if want. I also only like running E's/10 ply if towing something extremely heavy like a big 5th wheel trailer or similar beyond what an R1 can do. You can balance most this out with lower tire pressures on an E but the sidewalls can be so thick just never really get the best ride quality.

The non-metric also apparently have more sidewall protection per their Duraspec rating but not sure how much of that is just marketing. I can say the sidewall lugs are really bice and thick and one of the reasons choose this tire in general over some others I like.

I ended up setting mine at 40 PSI front (they take more load than the rears while turning/braking) and 35 PSI rear as gives proper contact patch.

These are a little closers to M/T's than A/T's in tread design so do get a little road noise. I usually only notice it at about 50 MPH with no music on but quite at higher speeds on the highway so far which is a bit interesting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

Cause I can truly say they are 35's and no argument as its on the sidewall!!!!!! Haha ...

Main reason is you get another 2mm of tread depth so bit better traction if gets sloppy and potentially even longer life.
"Cause they say it on the side" is hilarious considering the 285/65 are SLIIIIGHTLY bigger. ...and tread depth is indicated to be the same.

Your other justifications make a lot of sense if it really means the sidewall has more flex on the 35" D rated.

It's also interesting one is made in China, and the other is Thailand!!

Rivian R1T R1S Thuren wheels + 35" inch Falken Wildpeak R/T tires on Glacier White R1S Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 4.16.46 PM

Either way, they look SICK! I've currently got the @EV Sportline R800 package on order with the Falken Wildpeak in the OEM 275/65R20 size. Whenever it comes time to replace in a few years, I'll probably jump up to the 285/65R20 since you've already acted as guinea pig on essentially the same size. Sweet!!

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
"Cause they say it on the side" is hilarious considering the 285/65 are SLIIIIGHTLY bigger. ...and tread depth is indicated to be the same.

Your other justifications make a lot of sense if it really means the sidewall has more flex on the 35" D rated.

It's also interesting one is made in China, and the other is Thailand!!

Either way, they look SICK! I've currently got the @EV Sportline R800 package on order with the Falken Wildpeak in the OEM 275/65R20 size. Whenever it comes time to replace in a few years, I'll probably jump up to the 285/65R20 since you've already acted as guinea pig on essentially the same size. Sweet!!
The metrics actually appear more tread depth directly off the Falken Wildpeak R/T web page on second look. But never know until measure who got it correct haha. I did so much comparing different tires that I guess I just cant remember which had more of what now as got most the above wrong haha. I meant to say 32nd's not mm also, but moot point now.
Rivian R1T R1S Thuren wheels + 35" inch Falken Wildpeak R/T tires on Glacier White R1S 1693336046040

Might be some rub issues on the EVS wheels as .5in wider wheel and fair amount of less positive offset than the Thurens if you go to the larger size tire. Those are really nice wheels too.

OP
OP

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This looks amazing!!

Thanks. I don't think even a couple inches smaller diameter will matter for a spare. Just use your OEM spare as its not very far off. I doubt the compact spare with the R1S is the same either but that is pure speculation and that was what I was gonna run if got a flat since I do have it with my R1S.

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

The metrics actually appear more tread depth directly off the Falken Wildpeak R/T web page on second look. But never know until measure who got it correct haha. I did so much comparing different tires that I guess I just cant remember which had more of what now as got most the above wrong haha. I meant to say 32nd's not mm also, but moot point now.
1693336046040.png

Might be some rub issues on the EVS wheels as .5in wider wheel and fair amount of less positive offset than the Thurens if you go to the larger size tire. Those are really nice wheels too.
Interesting!! My data was from tirerack.com. I would hope Falken's own website would be more accurate, but I would think only 1 or 2 fields would have minor discrepancies. Nearly every spec item is slightly different than tirerack! weird! Thanks for the heads-up on the width & offset difference on our respective wheels!

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

Interesting!! My data was from tirerack.com. I would hope Falken's own website would be more accurate, but I would think only 1 or 2 fields would have minor discrepancies. Nearly every spec item is slightly different than tirerack! weird! Thanks for the heads-up on the width & offset difference on our respective wheels!
Falken must have updated the info on their site. This is what I see there now - which seems to match TireRack.
Rivian R1T R1S Thuren wheels + 35" inch Falken Wildpeak R/T tires on Glacier White R1S Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 2.12.27 PM

Sponsored

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs