Sponsored

Thule Hullavator (or Yakima Showdown) kayak rack with R1T/S

karv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Sienna
Clubs

Has anyone installed a Thule Hullavator or Yakima Showdown kayak rack on their R1T or R1S ? As I understand it, those racks require the crossbar to have several inches of overhang on the outside of the tower (which would seem to require something other than the Rivian factory crossbars). I haven't received my R1S yet (Oct-Dec), but want to get one of those racks on my current vehicle and don't want to spend the $$$ if it isn't going to work on the R1S.

thanks,
Karthi
Sponsored

thekid

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

I have the same exact question. I hope the Thule Hullavator can fit on the Rivian crossbars? Please advise if known.

OP
OP
karv

karv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Sienna
Clubs

I haven't been able to uncover any information, but I just pulled the trigger on an R1S from the R1 shop last week. Will report back once I have a chance to examine and experiment with the crossbars (I assume I should get it in the next 8 weeks.)

thekid

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Me too, I take delivery of my R1S on May 11th. I have the Thule Hulavators and will see if they work with the cross bars. 3.5 year wait for my r1S

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The Thule one won't work without getting creative, the t-track doesn't extend out far enough and the grab loop on the bars gets in the way of bringing it down. I thought I had some photos to describe the problem but the ones I took are really hard to make head or tails of anything.

Having re-thought about this problem, I might have come up with a creative solution. Just have to take the time to implement it as I haven't yet.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
karv

karv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Sienna
Clubs

The Thule one won't work without getting creative, the t-track doesn't extend out far enough and the grab loop on the bars gets in the way of bringing it down. I thought I had some photos to describe the problem but the ones I took are really hard to make head or tails of anything.

Having re-thought about this problem, I might have come up with a creative solution. Just have to take the time to implement it as I haven't yet.
I'd love to hear the details of your solution, once you have it. I have some wild ideas as well, but I need to get my hands on my R1S and crossbars first.

thekid

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

I will ask my service guide the question when I pick up for delivery.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Me too, I take delivery of my R1S on May 11th. I have the Thule Hulavators and will see if they work with the cross bars. 3.5 year wait for my r1S
Did you ever try to install them?

mcupp40

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a set of hullavators that have been on face book marketplace for months and haven't had any serious buyers, which is weird considering how well they work. You'd definitely have to rig some type of extension for you crossbars; they'd never clear the truck with stock rails

Sponsored

Seoras

First Name
Seoras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad 20AT Midnight
Clubs

I finally got the Hullavators installed. Since the Rivian cross bars can’t be used, I used the Thule mounting kit 187139

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rack/fit-kits/kit-187139-_-187139

with the Fixed Point Evo feet and the wing bar.

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg
Thank you for returning to this thread with that info! I had just stumbled on this whilst looking for something to hold my Yakima Showdowns on a future R1T purchase.

Did you use the 60" wing bars for your install? Any issues with hitting the side of the vehicle or mirrors? Have you had a chance to test the range impact from just the racks on their own and when loaded with a kayak? Sorry for the twenty questions, but it's one of the last things keeping me from pulling the trigger on the truck!

I currently have 60" Yakima bars and 2 Yakima Showdowns on my Element. They won't fit on anything less than 60" but I can only go 3" beyond the tower with the outside bracket. I *think* that should work on the R1T. I believe the Thule setup that you mentioned is my last hope now.. The Range Mariner bed rack looked like a good option but the bars are only 54", other bed rack options don't have bars at all and I'm not sure what it would take to add them.

Thanks for any info!

OP
OP
karv

karv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Sienna
Clubs

I did use the 60" wing bars. The tech. suggested 53", but the distance between the mounting points on the roof is 48" and I wanted an even overhang on both sides - with the option to install a second hullavator on the other side if needed in the future. So the 60" works perfectly.

No issues with clearance to the side of the vehicle or the mirrors. See the picture below. The forward kayak mount is well back from the side mirror, and the Kayak has plenty of clearance to the mirrors (folded in the picture below). In fact I moved the hullavator further in-board after this picture was taken. I have not driven much since the rack was mounted, and not at all with the Kayak loaded - so no range data to share. I plan to remove the hullavator and perhaps even the crossbars on long road trips if I'm not carrying either the Kayak or the roof box. It takes about 10 minutes to get everything off.

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Hullavator (or Yakima Showdown) kayak rack with R1T/S IMG_1417

Yoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Damn! Wish I knew about this before I bought the Rivan Rack. I'm getting too old to pitch Kayaks up on the roof of my R1T.
Nice boat, is that one of Eric Shade's designs? Shearwater hybrid?
The Hullavator is working out ok for you?

OP
OP
karv

karv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Sienna
Clubs

Yeah, tell me about it. I jumped the gun and ordered the rivian rack as well (before deciding to get the Thule), now gathering dust without a single use.

You got it right - it’s a Shearwater sport Hybrid that I built from a CLC kit a couple of years ago. The Hullavator is working out great. I’ve taken the kayak out a lot more frequently- now that it’s so easy to transport.
Sponsored