Sponsored

This is why I no longer use the Rivian for Long Distance trips.

Litup

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Toyota Tundra 21
Occupation
Portfolio Management
Found this video on youtube. Not mine, but I've experienced the exact same scenarios on road trips.

No fault of Rivian, same is true for any non-Tesla EV. With the Tesla superchargers supposedly opening up to Rivians this month (13 days left), should change the perception.

But, after having had the Rivian now for almost two years, I can no longer handle the unreliable public charging networks nor am I willing to spend the time charging. Even when everything works as it should and there are no issues. a significant time investment is required as compared to simply filling with gas.

My limit, is possibly, one necessary stop per trip. Any trips that would require more and I choose alternative vehicles. Have been doing this over the past 6 or so months and I can't express in words how much I appreciate getting home at 2:30 or 3:00 AM instead of closer to 5:00 AM on common trips I have to take. That time adds up. Then double it for the round trip. Plus, when you arrive at your destination, you have to find charging again.

Someday, the RAN will be better with more chargers and more reliable. But for now, having to rely on public chargers, potential long lines, chargers not working or charging at very slow rates, for me personally, just not worth it. I LOVE driving the Rivian. Drives to wonderfully and would love to take it everywhere. But, even as someone who has committed to EV's over the past 12 years now, the benefits no longer outweigh the sacrifices, on long distance trips.

Hopefully the Tesla Superchargers provide us with a more reliable network, which I'm sure it will. But, from everything I've heard, while more reliable, will actually be slower than 350kw EV America chargers, thus the time investment is still significant. But, at least you shouldn't get stuck in 1 to 2 hour long lines to charge at an EA network location where 3 of the 4 chargers aren't working or are charging at only 30 kw.

Although, as more EV's are given access to the superchargers, it could clog those up too, creating long lines. Based solely on the fact that Tesla superchargers will be slower and almost certainly more expensive than properly functioning EA or RAN chargers, I'll still view the Tesla Superchargers as only a backup option. Certainly won't be the first choice.

Certain trips, still willing to do. L.A. to Vegas, now there is a Rivian charger in Barstow, which is great. If that happens to be down, there are plenty of other options available on that route to ensure that you shouldn't have any problem finding a charger. And if I am staying at a hotel with EV chargers, then I'm willing to do that kind of trip. Beyond that, I completely understand why 90% of buyers are still hesitant to go full EV as their only car.

I could never give up my EV's as my daily driver for an ICE vehicle. Just have gotten too spoiled with the MASSIVE benefits EV's provide when you drive less than 250 miles per day. The above is only referencing long distance trips. Other than that, there's nothing better than an EV for typical everyday driving needs.

Until the day comes that EV's have 500+ miles in range and can charge up to 400 miles in 15-20 minutes or less, we're going to struggle convincing the 90% that haven't yet made the switch to do so. Even me, convinced to make the switch 12+ years ago to EV's, has backtracked to other options on the long distance trips. If I was someone that needed to two regularly, I'd be in the same boat.

When I only did one two trips a year, wasn't as glaring. But, now having to do long distance trips over 12 times a year, it became too much. While I still drive the Rivian as my primary vehicle daily, my solution, I purchased a PHEV. I get the best of both worlds. I've always said, if any manufacturer would build a PHEV with 100 miles in EV range and a gas backup, that is a quality car, they could likely convince just about everyone to make that switch. The upcoming Ramcharger PHEV with 150 miles of EV range, could be a game changer.

I haven't actually researched the reasons.. but why haven't they adopted a battery standard and have exchange stations rather then recharge stations?

We change the battery's in just about everything else... drive it... they flip a switch that removes your battery and replaces it with a full one...

Hopefully someone with alot more insight can respond but to me it sure makes alot more sense..

Anyone??
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And yet the 65kw pack will always be charged fully in less time. The mathematician part is a joke. A large battery pack will always take longer to charge if all else is equal.
Yeah, your thought process is definitely faulty, because "all else" will never be "equal".

I think the problem is you don't understand charge curves, and you aren't listening to those that are trying to explain it to you.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah, your thought process is definitely faulty, because "all else" will never be "equal".

I think the problem is you don't understand charge curves, and you aren't listening to those that are trying to explain it to you.
I understand charge curve quite well. I’m simply stating that if you have two batteries with identical thermal management plugged into identical 200kw charge stations the smaller battery will be charged fully in less time. Yes, the larger battery will hold a higher charge rate for longer but that’s not anywhere near enough to balance out that it still requires double the amount of energy to be fully charged.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
I flew from the Bay Area to Texas and drove our R1S back. I for sure hit a few chargers that were broken but I also understand that EA and other charging stations are terrible usually. I had the apps downloaded and made sure to read up on the status before driving X hours to some station with 4 dead chargers..as you mentioned. No fault of Rivian at all. I wouldn’t let this deter anyone from driving a nice road trip with a Rivian.

click bait YouTube title etc 🥱

Sponsored

mountainman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
And yet the 65kw pack will always be charged fully in less time. The mathematician part is a joke. A large battery pack will always take longer to charge if all else is equal.
Anyone that fully charges their battery pack while fast charging should lose their EV driving privileges.

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

We just did a trip where I charged once at a RAN and once more at a EA. No issues at all.

But convincing my wife that we can do a trip from NY to ATL on the R1S with two kids in car seats while stopping for charging once or twice on the way, is still a question. Especially when the time overlaps around when you need to charge but kids are sleeping and they will wake up if the car is not moving..ugh.

We may probably just take our Subaru Ascent for long trips I guess. We will have to see.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
The wide range of experiences that people experience on road trips is fascinating to me.

I have never had an issue over the year and a half of road trips with my R1T. I've never had a broken charger keep my from using a particular location. On rare occasions there have been one or two chargers broken in a bank of 6 or 8 public chargers, but I just didn't use those broken chargers. I've never had to wait in line to use a charger. And the charging speed has consistently been what I've expected.

I'm a bit worried looking forward a couple of weeks when I'll need to go from Atlanta to Texas via !-20. That looks like a veritable desert. There is one 200 mile stretch from Vance, AL to Jackson, MS that has no alternatives at all, so I am somewhat concerned.
That is really strange - just look at EA or EVGo app - there is hardly one site that has all chargers operational. All my road trips I needed to wait for charging and chargers in most cases were derated. I 100% agree with OP - EV is not for road trips if you value your time and freedom to stop where you want and not where the charger is located.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
We just did a trip where I charged once at a RAN and once more at a EA. No issues at all.

But convincing my wife that we can do a trip from NY to ATL on the R1S with two kids in car seats while stopping for charging once or twice on the way, is still a question. Especially when the time overlaps around when you need to charge but kids are sleeping and they will wake up if the car is not moving..ugh.

We may probably just take our Subaru Ascent for long trips I guess. We will have to see.
My wife was not happy at all. And I needed about 30 minutes of charging time overall.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Anyone that fully charges their battery pack while fast charging should lose their EV driving privileges.
LMFAO.... but what if I am the only one charging @ a RAN location and this is helping add some money into Rivian's bank accounts to help them stay alive?

Rivian R1T R1S This is why I no longer use the Rivian for Long Distance trips. IMG_8812
Rivian R1T R1S This is why I no longer use the Rivian for Long Distance trips. IMG_8582

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Found this video on youtube. Not mine, but I've experienced the exact same scenarios on road trips.

No fault of Rivian, same is true for any non-Tesla EV. With the Tesla superchargers supposedly opening up to Rivians this month (13 days left), should change the perception.

But, after having had the Rivian now for almost two years, I can no longer handle the unreliable public charging networks nor am I willing to spend the time charging. Even when everything works as it should and there are no issues. a significant time investment is required as compared to simply filling with gas.

My limit, is possibly, one necessary stop per trip. Any trips that would require more and I choose alternative vehicles. Have been doing this over the past 6 or so months and I can't express in words how much I appreciate getting home at 2:30 or 3:00 AM instead of closer to 5:00 AM on common trips I have to take. That time adds up. Then double it for the round trip. Plus, when you arrive at your destination, you have to find charging again.

Someday, the RAN will be better with more chargers and more reliable. But for now, having to rely on public chargers, potential long lines, chargers not working or charging at very slow rates, for me personally, just not worth it. I LOVE driving the Rivian. Drives to wonderfully and would love to take it everywhere. But, even as someone who has committed to EV's over the past 12 years now, the benefits no longer outweigh the sacrifices, on long distance trips.

Hopefully the Tesla Superchargers provide us with a more reliable network, which I'm sure it will. But, from everything I've heard, while more reliable, will actually be slower than 350kw EV America chargers, thus the time investment is still significant. But, at least you shouldn't get stuck in 1 to 2 hour long lines to charge at an EA network location where 3 of the 4 chargers aren't working or are charging at only 30 kw.

Although, as more EV's are given access to the superchargers, it could clog those up too, creating long lines. Based solely on the fact that Tesla superchargers will be slower and almost certainly more expensive than properly functioning EA or RAN chargers, I'll still view the Tesla Superchargers as only a backup option. Certainly won't be the first choice.

Certain trips, still willing to do. L.A. to Vegas, now there is a Rivian charger in Barstow, which is great. If that happens to be down, there are plenty of other options available on that route to ensure that you shouldn't have any problem finding a charger. And if I am staying at a hotel with EV chargers, then I'm willing to do that kind of trip. Beyond that, I completely understand why 90% of buyers are still hesitant to go full EV as their only car.

I could never give up my EV's as my daily driver for an ICE vehicle. Just have gotten too spoiled with the MASSIVE benefits EV's provide when you drive less than 250 miles per day. The above is only referencing long distance trips. Other than that, there's nothing better than an EV for typical everyday driving needs.

Until the day comes that EV's have 500+ miles in range and can charge up to 400 miles in 15-20 minutes or less, we're going to struggle convincing the 90% that haven't yet made the switch to do so. Even me, convinced to make the switch 12+ years ago to EV's, has backtracked to other options on the long distance trips. If I was someone that needed to two regularly, I'd be in the same boat.

When I only did one two trips a year, wasn't as glaring. But, now having to do long distance trips over 12 times a year, it became too much. While I still drive the Rivian as my primary vehicle daily, my solution, I purchased a PHEV. I get the best of both worlds. I've always said, if any manufacturer would build a PHEV with 100 miles in EV range and a gas backup, that is a quality car, they could likely convince just about everyone to make that switch. The upcoming Ramcharger PHEV with 150 miles of EV range, could be a game changer.
TLDR

I tell people that before they go on a long trip to study the PLUG-SHARE map with all the possible stops you might need to make to charge.

When we went to Disneyland from NorCal, 2 months prior I was keying in scenarios and reading reviews. The one I was planning on charging at at one of the stops had horrible reviews so we went to another one and it was by far the best EA station I have seen. Every station worked and at 5:00 am there was no one else there. Another station by Magic Mountain (at In-n-out) was an EVGo, again, worked perfectly fine.

We aren't at the "gas station at every corner" in the EV world. We are probably 5 to 10 years from that. But since everything is going to NACS and Tesla is opening their stations range anxiety will be less of a thing. I heard the main ones they are opening are on highways that are highly traveled.

fyton2v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RRS, FJ40, F150, MY
If I could only have one vehicle, I'd choose an EV and deal with the charging inconvenience during the occasional long trip. The convenience of an EV as an every day vehicle isn't something I'd ever want to give up. Now, if I had to take a 300+ mile trip every week ... I'd probably revaluate my priorities.

When we first got a Model Y, we took it on 700 mile trip. Same as the post above... my wife wasn't happy with the charging situation. But over the last 2 years, she's become the primary driver. She'd never buy an ICE car again. I don't think I'd ever buy an ICE car again either.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I agree with the OP. I am fine stopping once to charge on a trip, maybe once each way. I am fine that it take around 30 minutes to charge, and would be ok doing that several times if there was no line. But about a third of the time I need to fast charge, I have to wait in line for 30 minutes before I can start to charge. Some of that is due to people charging past 80%, but that is something that happens frequestly. There are several other times where I have plugged in right away, only to see others pull up a few minutes after me, and they are waiting until I am done, so I can see that if I was 5-10 minutes later, I would be waiting 30 minutes. My first "long trip" was in November, about 425 miles each way, about 7 hours in an ICE according to google maps, took me around 9.5 hours there, and close to 12 hours to get home (Rivian had an error on the way home which added at least an hour). I used plugshare beforehand, and every station I used had great reviews, but one had half the chargers broken when I arrived. Also, using a VRBO without EV support (or only 120v) means finding and taking the extra time away from vacation to charge. Maybe once Tesla is open, and I have an adapter, my experiences will change. I know some people love EVs for road trips, and thats great for them, but it hasn't been my experience. Rivian is great for everyday commuting though, and most trips less than 300 miles, but again, thats less in the winter. Ideally, my road trip habits are drive for about 4 hours, gas/bathroom/eat a meal somewhere non-fast food, drive 4-5 hours.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I am planning on driving from Ventura to Las Vegas. Since you mentioned LA to Vegas, is this a pretty good drive now in a Rivian? Thinking about taking an ICE vehicle instead.
Ventura (or L.A.) to Vegas is a good trip for the Rivian. Only need one stop. Don't need to charge to 100%. Start off with enough to get to Barstow and use the Rivian Adventure Network charger, which works as simply as a Tesla Supercharger. There's also a RAN when you pull into Vegas if you need to top off while there.

That's a trip I don't mind. Anything further that would require more than one stop and to rely solely on third party chargers, that's where I no longer am willing to make the sacrifice. However, if you have the extra time and don't mind stopping, with the Tesla supercharger network, it should at least be a more reliable charging experience. Still will take significantly more time to complete the trip, but should at least, be hassle free.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

The irony of this post occurring on the day that Rivian gets access to the Supercharger network.
quite a coincidence. However, we apparently are still a month or so away from being able to get the adapters necessary to use them.
Sponsored