Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

supposed use of 3mm (1/8") stainless on their body panels
If that’s true, sounds insanely heavy… especially given it’s no longer an exoskeleton/now uses a unibody for structural integrity a la most cars and CUVs on the road today
Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
FWIW- I've had quite a few EV's since 2012: A Plug-in-Prius, a Volt, a Bolt, a Model Y, a Model 3, a BMW i3 and the R1T. By far, the R1T has the most fragile body panels of all those vehicles. The most robust IMO are the fiberglass/carbon fiber body panels on the i3.. car doors literally bounce off them with no damage. I would absolutely love for Rivian to use something that strong, durable and lightweight on their vehicles.

One of the main reasons I'm even interested in the CyberTruck is their supposed use of 3mm (1/8") stainless on their body panels. That is massive thickness for automotive use and should be almost dent resistant in normal use (not including Walmart and Home Depot parking lot use).
I have a VW ID4 and it feels like a normal car. You have to hit it with something to put a dent. No oil canning at all.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I have a VW ID4 and it feels like a normal car. You have to hit it with something to put a dent. No oil canning at all.
Same with the Bolt and Model 3 (except for the aluminum hood on both).

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
If that’s true, sounds insanely heavy… especially given it’s no longer an exoskeleton/now uses a unibody for structural integrity a la most cars and CUVs on the road today
That was the last spec they published, but as with all things Elon.. it needs to be verified on an actual retail production vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...The most robust IMO are the fiberglass/carbon fiber body panels on the i3.. car doors literally bounce off them with no damage. I would absolutely love for Rivian to use something that strong, durable and lightweight on their vehicles...​

The panels are an "injection molded thermoplastic" (made, FWIW, from a polypropylene-ethylene-propylene-diene monomer), and they do indeed work very well. I've had more than one humongous SUV park beside me and slam their door into the vehicle and it just pops back out.

When BMW abandoned the i3 for the god-awful big-mouthed redesigns, I abandoned BMW (the i3s was my 11th BMW). If Rivian would put some serious focus on quality instead of pursuing "the cheapening" they could own the EV game.

There's a good detailed article on the i3's composites if you're interested: https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/bmw-leipzig-the-epicenter-of-i3-production-

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ Thanks @thrill .. interesting read regarding the i3. No doubt it's the most complex automobile (materials wise) ever produced!
I love our little i3, it just gets the job done with no fanfare and in a super efficient way. The research and development BMW put into the i3 literally put BMW years ahead of any other automaker which is why it was so sad to see the short sighted decision (made by a now departed exec) to cancel the i3 after producing 250,000 of them. If they had continued with the materials development and production advances they pioneered in 2013 when producing the first i3's there's no telling were they would be today vs playing catch-up with other EV makers.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Here is a video frame of a Cybertruck RC (Release Candidate) that was being transported recently in a trailer.

I would guess that the SS quarter panel is roughly 2mm thick (thickness of a nickel).

Rivian R1T R1S Thin, weak body panels 5752AE4A-677C-42EB-BA69-013CA7FEA81D

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y