Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
So now they are supporting both Android Automotive and Alexa? Wow!

I did notice that the article mentions use of Alexa for Nav, Media and Calling but doesn't mention using it to control vehicle functions as Rivian has announced. Not sure if that just wasn't mentioned or if it won't be offered by GM.
In my Bolt they support CarPlay, so I can use Siri, but not for the car commands. Since the MyChevrolet App works with Carplay, I should test if I can make commands that way, such as to unlock the doors.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Don't think I'm ready give more data to google. I will never buy a car that uses Android Auto at any cost, both Google and car company need to clearly state their privacy policy, data usage by google, sharing of data with third parties etc.
Android Auto is different from Android Automotive -- Google has always been awful at naming products!

Android Auto is harmless if you never use it. It can exist and if you never plug your Android phone in and use it, then it'll never get any of your data. Android Auto actually runs on the PHONE and the car simply displays the video output.

Android Automotive is an operating system that runs on hardware in the car. It doesn't need your phone to operate, and will have access to all of your data, even if you never plug your phone in.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Specifically linked to the Rivian section where they talk about their IPO etc.

Personally I am with them, Rivian hasn't produced a single thing, I guess they haven't confirmed 400v or 800v architecture which will make or brake charging speeds and they are using COTS batteries with nothing too proprietary or special blended. I think for me not having 250kw+ charging will be the ultimate deal breaker.

I know they are keeping all information close to there chest how ever its Halfway (Almost) thru Feb leaving 3 months and 20 days left until they start delivering R1Ts.

I am just hoping they are finalizing all details (A TON OF THEM) and just want to release all information at once rather than a slow trickle.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So now they are supporting both Android Automotive and Alexa? Wow!
Toyota and Acura are now including both Alexa and CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

The more time that goes on, the less credibility Rivian has to hide behind "Amazon" as a reason for not supporting CP/AA.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'm with Kanundrum in regards to 250KW charging capability. Time is valuable to me particularly when I'm on a road trip so Rivian needs to get this right. Also important to me is getting a vehicle that has the latest battery and charging technology since this is changing so rapidly.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
A small thing but something disappointing to me. Got confirmation from CS that rear seat storage is compromised with 2 subwoofers as part of Meridan system. I would much prefer the unobstructed storage as I planned to keep full time some recovery gear - tow strap, shackles, etc., some tools and a hoodie in that compartment. If I put this in the frunk or gear tunnel, I’m likely going to be rearranging every time I’ve got other cargo. Likewise, I’m not of the age to be impressing anyone with thumping bass at stoplights. And before anyone suggests just get the Explorer package with the lesser sound system and no subs, it doesn’t include ventilated seats, and it’s another year out. Sigh.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A small thing but something disappointing to me. Got confirmation from CS that rear seat storage is compromised with 2 subwoofers as part of Meridan system. I would much prefer the unobstructed storage as I planned to keep full time some recovery gear - tow strap, shackles, etc., some tools and a hoodie in that compartment. If I put this in the frunk or gear tunnel, I’m likely going to be rearranging every time I’ve got other cargo. Likewise, I’m not of the age to be impressing anyone with thumping bass at stoplights. And before anyone suggests just get the Explorer package with the lesser sound system and no subs, it doesn’t include ventilated seats, and it’s another year out. Sigh.
Another example of contradictory priorities among reservation holders. Feedback on this site indicates the stereo sound quality is very high on the list of many. This means subs and you have to put them somewhere. Rivian is trying to balance the wants/needs/must haves/budget of potential customers with production and manufacturing issues, costs and reliability in the field. That is why we are seeing changes after prottypes are in the field

As to the only real deal breaker for me, at this point it is the DCFC implementation and performance. On a big, inefficient vehicle like this it becomes critical (to me). This is a long term investment and if it cannot fully utilize the current technology, I may be on the sidelines a while longer. The Ioniq 5 and Lucid will be shipping this year with 800(+)V architecture. Rivian needs to embrace it as well (at the very minimum on the charging side), or I'm out.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Another example of contradictory priorities among reservation holders. Feedback on this site indicates the stereo sound quality is very high on the list of many. This means subs and you have to put them somewhere. Rivian is trying to balance the wants/needs/must haves/budget of potential customers with production and manufacturing issues, costs and reliability in the field. That is why we are seeing changes after prottypes are in the field

As to the only real deal breaker for me, at this point it is the DCFC implementation and performance. On a big, inefficient vehicle like this it becomes critical (to me). This is a long term investment and if it cannot fully utilize the current technology, I may be on the sidelines a while longer. The Ioniq 5 and Lucid will be shipping this year with 800(+)V architecture. Rivian needs to embrace it as well (at the very minimum on the charging side), or I'm out.
I hear you. And I know, ‘First World Problems’ and all that. I’m just hoping the subs won’t take up the whole space. Likewise, with DCFC I totally agree. Charging speed is very important.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Like DucRider, I want DCFC & high level V2L bi-directionality. I have an all-electric house in PG&E land. After last week's disastrous power outages in Texas, I want an EV that can power my house if the grid fails. A PowerWall could do the trick, but I'd rather invest in a Rivian with high level V2L.

So, DCFC and high level V2L are my deal breakers. Unfortunately, the new Ioniq 5's V2L capability is fairly limited, but it's better than nothing. I haven't heard what Lucid's V2L capability might be.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Like DucRider, I want DCFC & high level V2L bi-directionality. I have an all-electric house in PG&E land. After last week's disastrous power outages in Texas, I want an EV that can power my house if the grid fails. A PowerWall could do the trick, but I'd rather invest in a Rivian with high level V2L.

So, DCFC and high level V2L are my deal breakers. Unfortunately, the new Ioniq 5's V2L capability is fairly limited, but it's better than nothing. I haven't heard what Lucid's V2L capability might be.
Sounds like you really want V2H and not V2L

Rivian R1T R1S The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All 1614111875182

Very likely that the Ioniq will support all of the above, but exact protocols/compatibility/regulatory hurdles remain. They've stated the equivalent of "details will be released closer to entering production".
V2L is the easiest to implement and the power outlets on the Rivian fall into that category.
V2G poses the most challenges, but even V2H requires some specialized equipment that will live outside of the vehicle. Hopefully this is one of the things a Rivian branded EVSE will be capable of.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Shouldn't be too much of an issue to remove one or both...

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla

My understanding is the Rivian is even more limited than the Ioniq... And that it is limited to 1.8kW V2L vs 3.6kW of the Ioniq.

Unless the information I came across isn't accurate. Which is very likely.

badepr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
retired
I see the unique tire sizes as a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored