Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
We were told there would be lidar and full self driving. Now that's not the case. I feel that's nearly a deal breaker for me if the system is any less than Tesla. But I don't see how it could be without better sensors. Rivian doesn't have the years of real world driving to train their self driving AI on. So without a significantly better sensor array, it just won't be initially as good as competitors.

The flash light in the door - If that's not there, or it doesn't use the exact same battery cell the ev pack has, then I'm out 100%. Wouldn't even have to think twice about it. I haven't heard anything has changed with that, but it was the final thing that sold me on the truck.

What's with the "No Tesla Supercharger Charging Partnership" option? That was never going to be an option. It was known Rivian was using CCS from the debut.
Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My 2 cents: Touchscreen-heavy controls, without physical backup.
Don't see how this could be a deal breaker - you know that was never going to be an option. They showed the interior at the debut. Its all touch screen and it was never going to change.

Deal breaker implies you were sold on one and Rivian changed something. Now you don't have a deal.

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer
Only [R1S] deal breakers would be (before final commitment):
  • No test drive
  • Need to see the colors and finishes in person
  • Details on warranty
Not deal breakers, but in the "con" column:
  • Apple Car play

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is silly enough I hope it isn't an issue, but a 2021-2022 luxury vehicle without driver's seat memory with at least 2 memory slots would be pretty tough to swallow.
I don't think that's silly or swallow at all. I expect that. It would be different if we weren't talking about 85/$90,000 vehicles here. At that price point these things are absolutely required. No questions whatsoever. Its required.

Reminds me when I passed on a Model S 100D back when that launched. The power steering wheel didn't lift up out of the way when I opened the drivers door. Like every other luxury car. It was purely a software oversight issue. The sales rep said they'd add that feature. I believe they eventually did, years later. But its not acceptable on a car that costs what it does.

The Model X still doesn't have viewable 360 degree cameras. And that's a deal breaker for me on that one. A single backup camera on a vehicle the size of a van is stupid. Worse even, its still just a software thing. The Tesla has the cameras already. They just don't stich the images together for a 360 degree view. Its been a few years since I've been in an X but I think its still the case. The cameras would be a deal breaker for me on Rivian too but I believe we've already seen they're doing 360 right?

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
We got a bunch of first world problems here! Jeez Louise!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

We were told there would be lidar and full self driving. Now that's not the case. I feel that's nearly a deal breaker for me if the system is any less than Tesla. But I don't see how it could be without better sensors. Rivian doesn't have the years of real world driving to train their self driving AI on. So without a significantly better sensor array, it just won't be initially as good as competitors.
From the word, "Go", Rivian has only advertised Level 3 Autonomy. Full Self Driving was never a thing.

The flash light in the door - If that's not there, or it doesn't use the exact same battery cell the ev pack has, then I'm out 100%. Wouldn't even have to think twice about it. I haven't heard anything has changed with that, but it was the final thing that sold me on the truck.
The flashlight should've made the cut.

What's with the "No Tesla Supercharger Charging Partnership" option? That was never going to be an option. It was known Rivian was using CCS from the debut.
It was more of a joke than anything. There were quite a few people at the beginning that were crying over no Tesla partnership...I am actually shocked that NO ONE has selected it.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Deal breaker implies you were sold on one and Rivian changed something. Now you don't have a deal.
Not to be nit picky, but I don’t necessary agree with this statement. A deal breaker is anything that will prevent me from doing a deal with you. If you already have deal, and then don’t deliver, then that’s breach. There’s tons of stuff on the survey list that have never been promised or even mentioned by Rivian.

Carry on folks...

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The WHOLE POINT of this thread was to keep the crosstalk out of the threads. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto recently have completely taken over decent threads lately... I wanted to create a place where people can voice their beefs and I thought it would be fun to make it a poll with the most talked-about complaints w/ Rivian.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The carplay complains are suppressing to me. I guess it depends on how good the native OS is to know if we need it or not. For some (specifically Mercedes Benz) the Infotainment OS plain 'ole sucks ass. You need carplay to get rid of that garbage.

I have carplay in my i3s and I turned it off. Hated it because the native BMW iDrive OS just works better and is faster. Maybe I'm just used to it. I don't have carplay in the Ghost but its otherwise the same BMW OS. And I don't have any infotainment in my Tundra. Is Tesla allowing for carplay nowadays? Fingers crossed the Rivian native OS works well.

Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From the word, "Go", Rivian has only advertised Level 3 Autonomy. Full Self Driving was never a thing.
Well I must have missed that official statement at the LA auto show debut. I pretty clearly remember one of their engineers saying Level 3 was included and full self driving would be an option. We talked for a good 10 minutes just about that and how lidar was making it possible.

A deal breaker is anything that will prevent me from doing a deal with you.
Fair enough. I guess I figured everyone here on the forum would already have a pre-order and would be considering deal breakers as keeping or getting out of the order.

In your case, a majority of the public would say it being electric is a deal breaker for them. Kind of opens the door to a whole lot of things if we start considering all the stuff Rivian never promised.

The flashlight should've made the cut.
The flashlight is required because its that dumb gimmick you show everyone. Its a lot like the umbrellas in the doors of Rolls. Everyone knows about it, everyone wants to see them. Its a toy. But in a nerdy fun engineer way.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Was this statement made in jest or are you being serious? You can buy a flashlight today that uses a 21700 battery cell, this really isn't anything special from Rivian except that it has its own dedicated hiding spot.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well I must have missed that official statement at the LA auto show debut. I pretty clearly remember one of their engineers saying Level 3 was included and full self driving would be an option. We talked for a good 10 minutes just about that and how lidar was making it possible.
LIDAR did change, but Level 3 was as far as Rivian planned to go...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
LIDAR did change, but Level 3 was as far as Rivian planned to go...
Yep. And the pitch from reveal has been "will ship with Level 3 capable hardware", but L2 capabilities that will be updated OTA over time.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yep. And the pitch from reveal has been "will ship with Level 3 capable hardware", but L2 capabilities that will be updated OTA over time.
Is that still the case? Was hoping for L3 out of the box as day 1 of delivery for us will equate to a LOT of road trips!
Sponsored