Sponsored

The most annoying thing about my R1T so far

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
OK, since they're watching, Captain Obvious would like point out that RKS systems have been around the automotive world for 20+ years.

I'd also recommend not sharing an @mention user name cause that could get a bit weighty.
Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I have heard that from a lot of people and I guess I must be an anomaly. I have frequently showed up at my shop only to realize that I’ve forgotten my keys because the feature is so seamless for me.
That’s awesome. Maybe someday it will for me. But maybe not before I get my R1T.

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I’ve been loosely following this thread, so I apologize if this has already been suggested. Since the truck is at home in your garage, I believe leaving the key (carabiner key) in the unlocked truck will stop it from locking and unlocking. In this scenario the truck would remain unlocked.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I'm getting more and more confused with the unlock/lock of the R1T. I have my Bluetooth turned off and I hear the truck locking and unlocking from my bedroom. All of yesterday with Bluetooth on, the truck wouldn't proximity lock and unlock. And now with Bluetooth off, it's doing it. 🤷‍♂️

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’ve been loosely following this thread, so I apologize if this has already been suggested. Since the truck is at home in your garage, I believe leaving the key (carabiner key) in the unlocked truck will stop it from locking and unlocking. In this scenario the truck would remain unlocked.
Contrary to popular expectation, the carabiner key does not support proximity detection.

Sponsored

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Audi Q7
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I have experienced precisely the same issue with the over-sensitive proximity key on mobile phone. I'm guessing my R1T unlocks/locks 15 times a day. And if I forget to turn off A/C all that fires up each time, sucking useless energy.

In addition, my comedy continues with Gear Guard. Because mine is currently being evaluated by Rivian Service, they have asked me to click "On Always" [regardless of being home or not]. This results is ~1,200 videos [5 cameras/5 videos per session] recorded and counting. It is so sensitive that the gear guard begins recording when the scheduled charging begins each night, at each passing of the truck to open garage, take out garbage, do yard work, flag wafting in the breeze on garage, etc... EVERYTHING sets the dang thing off. I have riveting videos of the flag waving in the breeze, blinking lights of the wall charger and daily garage runs!

My wife has begun calling the R1T her "stalker" as it chirps at her and records her movements every time she passes by!

The hack solution for the lock/unlock is to turn off the mobile key app and use the FOB.
The hack for the gear guard is to turn it off [mine is malfunctioning anyways as it does not blink lights or sound horn when detecting intruder].

I'm 100% confident Rivian will gather our feedback and institute improvements in future software updates. That's the beauty of our "computer on wheels".

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Touring, 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe
Occupation
Business Owner: Airport Transportation Service of Inverness Florida
Not an option for me because while I'm in the garage my Bluetooth headset is how I take calls and listen to podcasts and whatnot. And btw, it's not just the garage, if I walk in the room above the garage, or the kitchen which is three walls and 20' away from the car it still unlocks and locks the car. I would have to just turn Bluetooth of permanently on my phone which is not really an option.
Just turn off bluetooth on your phone when you are not in the car and turn it back on when you want to drive your Rivian. Won't that work?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just turn off bluetooth on your phone when you are not in the car and turn it back on when you want to drive your Rivian. Won't that work?
People use Bluetooth for lots of things. Disabling it isn’t a solution.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have experienced precisely the same issue with the over-sensitive proximity key on mobile phone. I'm guessing my R1T unlocks/locks 15 times a day. And if I forget to turn off A/C all that fires up each time, sucking useless energy.

In addition, my comedy continues with Gear Guard. Because mine is currently being evaluated by Rivian Service, they have asked me to click "On Always" [regardless of being home or not]. This results is ~1,200 videos [5 cameras/5 videos per session] recorded and counting. It is so sensitive that the gear guard begins recording when the scheduled charging begins each night, at each passing of the truck to open garage, take out garbage, do yard work, flag wafting in the breeze on garage, etc... EVERYTHING sets the dang thing off. I have riveting videos of the flag waving in the breeze, blinking lights of the wall charger and daily garage runs!

My wife has begun calling the R1T her "stalker" as it chirps at her and records her movements every time she passes by!

The hack solution for the lock/unlock is to turn off the mobile key app and use the FOB.
The hack for the gear guard is to turn it off [mine is malfunctioning anyways as it does not blink lights or sound horn when detecting intruder].

I'm 100% confident Rivian will gather our feedback and institute improvements in future software updates. That's the beauty of our "computer on wheels".
I'd suggest turning off proximity key in the vehicles menu. That is what I have done, can still use the phone as a key etc but doesn't lock/unlock constantly. Hopefully it gets improved later and I can turn it back on. (Credit: @godfodder0901 for the vehicle menu option)

Agree about gear guard, I have it off now. Will turn it on for situations I think it may be needed.

Neither ideal but has been workable for me so far.

Rico

First Name
Enrico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lexus Gx 460
Occupation
Retired
Does the truck have a depressurizing vent? I know Teslas do.
A cabin vent is in many cars and old tech. I would be surprised if this truck didn’t

Sponsored

MichaelL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Biomedical Sales
Let me start by saying that I love this truck. It's nearly flawless in many way. But it has one massive problem that is very difficult to live with. I know if you don't have the truck yet this is going to seem like a minor thing but living with it is quite another pain in the neck.

There are technically 5 keys (Phone, Metal key, 2x card keys, and Bracelet). Of all these the phone is the only passive key. The problem is the phone is proximity based and uses bluetooth. So if you come anywhere near the car it unlocks the car. Ideally you'd have to touch the door handle for this but as it is, every single time I come near the car with my phone it goes through the unlock / lock. This is a huge annoyance as I work in my garage a lot and I always have my phone with me. That means the car unlocks and locks like several hundred times a day this way. That's not even the annoying part. You can't lock the car any other way than to walk away from it. What's worse is you can't prevent it from getting locked when you walk away. So if I go and put one of my kids in the car, and then walk back inside the house to get the other kid, the car locks the first kid in the car. And then the alarm will go off... Then my phone won't unlock the car anymore on approach. It's a serious comedy of events that end up frustrating the heck out of you.

Believe it or not, that's not even the most annoying part. In my 4 days of ownership so far, I've had several hundred unintended lock/unlocks. But when I do approach the car to actually try and get in, about 25% of the time it doesn't register me at all. I have to take the phone out, load the app, wait for it to connect to the car, click unlock, and the wait for it to unlock. This typically happens after it's just locked cause I walked away from the car and then came back.

So the alternative is to turn this future off. But that means I won't have any more passive keys. Which means I have to carry the metal key around and I won't have a keyless entry at all anymore. I really wish RIVIAN would have made a touch sensitive part of the door handle like every other manufacturer to unlock and lock the door.

If anyone has come up with a better way to deal with this please let me know.

Another problem that kind of adds to this is that the doors (especially the rear) and extremely hard to close. You have to slam them. So very often it happens that my kids can't close the door, so the car just stays on for several hours because the door wasn't fully closed. This makes the cooling fans run at high speed for some reason ... anyway, I know this all seems like a minor gripe but when you live with it for a few days you'll get sick of it pretty quickly.
My Tesla Model 3 has a check box that allows me to “Exclude Home” when the walk away door lock feature is selected. Seems like a software update could solve this problem in the future.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
OK, since they're watching, Captain Obvious would like point out that RKS systems have been around the automotive world for 20+ years.

I'd also recommend not sharing an @mention user name cause that could get a bit weighty.
Weighty? cmon, it's not like this is beetlejuice.
If someone mentions @Rivian @Rivian @Rivian it's not like RJ Scaringe himself will appear

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
1. Good to know.
2. No can do. I get blackout drunk every night. I will inevitably forget to shut off bluetooth before passing out on an especially rambunctious night. /s
4. Not only that, I also run with scissors.
4. Charlie don’t surf …with his wallet and keys.
I guess I live dangerously too

Last edited:

riptide501

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales Manager
I had the same problem. i''ve had my r1t for a month now. i absolutely LOVED the proximity phone key feature for exactly 8 hours. My home office is next door to the garage. That first night i figured out quickly that the phone proximity doesn't really work well , maybe for single family home dudes like me..

Loved it so much it made me cry, but i turned off the phone proximity feature that 1st night. the phone is still a key, but no longer locks/unlocks from 20' feet away anymore. now i use the keyfob and the wristband and the phone. keyfob in my pocket and wristband on me touching the door handle in just the right spot. Wristband is a pain cos its hard to find the right spot. Rivian needs to improve this, should be close proximity, simple.

i was spoiled with my last car (MB) with key in pocket and touch sensor on door handle - that's the best! I love this truck so much i really don't care i will make it work. And i know rivian will figure this out and make it better......

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I love this truck so much i really don't care i will make it work. And i know rivian will figure this out and make it better......
This is exactly how I feel. The truck is still so much more than a truck that I can easily look passed some of these minor things. I do hope they end up resolving it but honestly if I have to use the key fob for my entire ownership I'm okay with that.
Sponsored