Sponsored

TFL snubbed by Rivian: video

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
random Emails from a recruiter is not the same as a PR department not responding to media requests.

if they were dumb enough to be emailing random people that work there then sure your bad analogy would apply but if you have a publicity department with contact info telling people to reach out for details and then don’t have at least a canned response for a rejection then you’re bad at your job and doing it wrong.

it takes nothing these days to set up an automated rejection system with a two line response. You give the software some criteria and it’ll auto reject. Use an intern to check the edge cases and reject or approve and off you go.
That’s still not ghosting. And TFL is owed nothing - nothing- by Rivian.

They aren’t a big outlet and don’t seem like a good fit for the event, especially because they are known to break embargoes.

Why they think they can break other manufacturers’ (Ford’s) embargoes but remain entitled to invitations to other embargoed events is well beyond me. But it reeks of entitlement and bad judgment.

Sure, it’s always nicer to get a rejection than nothing. But something tells me that these guys are such jackasses that they would have made the same whiny video regardless.
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
As someone who works in marketing (granted, I work in the semiconductor industry), embargoes exist as a compromise to the press rather than telling them nothing until the official launch. It's important that all "press" remember that getting information under embargo is a favor being granted to them. The automotive industry (like most industries) is actually small and tight knit (with many people hopping from company to company). If you break embargos, word gets around and others won't trust you.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Read @cohall article about his run in with RJ. He has been a reasoned voice on this Forum for a long time. Was RJ setup for success? Yes, it was a press event and his head was in the game. Did he need to go to the lengths Cohall describes? Hell no.

Companies are filled with people, and we can have varying experiences. Did TFL get snubbed or ghosted. No way. DO I find TFL moderately entertaining? Yes. Do I go to them when I need real analysis and info. No.

So whats my point?

Marketing, Customer service, product development are going to have good days and bad but how the CEO communicates, the quality their decisions, and their general ethos cascades down through a company. In aggregate the way RJ projects and delivers appeals to me as a recipe for success. Not only am I excited to get my R1T I would likely throw some dollars into Rivian stock.

Cohalls experience as written IMO shows a CEO with a passion for his team, product and customer. TFL? They want clicks.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/my-day-with-rj-scaringe-—-a-lucky-encounter-r1t-impressions.2203/

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I have been sending emails to Gisele Bundchen, Heidi Klum, and Megan Fox for years now. Nothing. Crickets. I feel snubbed--Ghosted.
Rookie! You really need to step up your game! I find that by lurking in the shadows, I've gotten many personal responses from each of these women and more, along with autographs and pics! Sure, the autographs are normally at the bottom of restraining orders and the pics are only of me, and commonly called mugshots, but hey, it beats crickets and ghosts!

I'll tell you a funny story about Salma Hayak, right after my probation ends. It's really quite hilarious! The one about Taylor Swift? Not so funny.... ?

ARegularGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e, VW Atlas
Occupation
FanBoi
meh...TFL is a good site that does good reviews. I would like them to have a Rivian for review.

But from Rivian's perspective it is probably better that Home and Garden and Vogue and Time and Betty Crocker's monthly recipe booklet get a chance first. Why? Because auto marketing people are idiots and dolts. Just read AutoExtremist.

Still, it is Rivian's company and they can do what pleases them. I don't think TFL should be all butt-hurt by Rivian not treating them as equals to larger publications, but TFL can do what pleases them as well.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
For whatever reason(s) the TFL folks were not given exclusive access to an R1T or R1S, invited to the press event, or loaned an R1T before other automotive outlets... this video did not help them.

It came off as whiney... almost like a 4 year old not getting the toy they wanted in a toy aisle.

I've watched them for years and find some of their content helpful, some of it, completely wrong or ill founded. I don't hold that against them, every person and media outlet will have their own opinions and takes on things... it's literally their job.

However, they were not selected for any number of reasons, and posting, what amounts to a tantrum, would seriously sour their chances at getting invited going forward if I was the PR department for not just Rivian, but other auto makers.

In the end, this is not how a professional media outlet that wants to be taken seriously reacts to not being given VIP level access to a new product.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
For whatever reason(s) the TFL folks were not given exclusive access to an R1T or R1S, invited to the press event, or loaned an R1T before other automotive outlets... this video did not help them.

It came off as whiney... almost like a 4 year old not getting the toy they wanted in a toy aisle.

I've watched them for years and find some of their content helpful, some of it, completely wrong or ill founded. I don't hold that against them, every person and media outlet will have their own opinions and takes on things... it's literally their job.

However, they were not selected for any number of reasons, and posting, what amounts to a tantrum, would seriously sour their chances at getting invited going forward if I was the PR department for not just Rivian, but other auto makers.

In the end, this is not how a professional media outlet that wants to be taken seriously reacts to not being given VIP level access to a new product.
I'm honestly fine with them not getting preferential treatment. Super whiny and entitled, and coming from a smaller YouTube channel seems odd. Watching their non-Tesla EV content, it's probably best for now. Tommy is better with staying objective, but Roman not so much

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Never known about TFL till they announced they weren't getting a chance to review a Rivian. I left with a very bad impression regarding them. Normally, I adore people that go 'against the grain' and have the balls to use an approach that the people can and will relate to regarding on what the most folks want to see. Here, they come off as "why wasn't *I* chosen?" whining. I felt like shipping them a baby pacifier. I wanted to be objective regarding what possible reasons Rivian didn't acknowledge them, but between their self-entitlement and (even worse)the comments most of people that put them on such a high pedestal stated, made me feel like I was walking onto a cult meeting (lol, I exaggerate) than a rational discussion. There were soo many misinformed (either by innocently and truly not knowing down to people borderline spreading foundless rhetoric) that I chimed in ... and I regret it (cause I fell for the trap).

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I cant believe this thread is still going.

Sponsored

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
I've watched TFL for years now. They aren't bad guys, and they are ruthless when it comes to reviews. I bet you the first thing they would do to a Rivian is strap 11000 pounds on a flat bed trailer and try to take it up the Ike gauntlet.

But... it's clear Rivian isn't just handing out trucks to youtube channels yet. they may never do that.

TFL are a bit entitled and they usually whine a lot when manufacturers don't cater to their every whim. they've gotten too used to Ford/ram/Gm inviting them to every press event for every new truck release and now think they are guaranteed a spot at all press events.

Well TFL? sorry. just wait. try not to whine too much. Rivian will never, ever give you a truck if you make videos like this.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've watched TFL for years now. They aren't bad guys, and they are ruthless when it comes to reviews. I bet you the first thing they would do to a Rivian is strap 11000 pounds on a flat bed trailer and try to take it up the Ike gauntlet.
Ruthless? They have published the most flattering of puff pieces, in the past. The recent Chevy launch or the 2021 Tundra are two examples that come to mind.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They felt so bummed they couldn't take the Rivians off road that they decided to do this :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

Coincidentally OutOfSpec was doing something similar with one this week too.

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
My favorite part of this video is when they complain about the direction EV and technology companies are going. Gee I wonder why you guys were ignored.
When they were complaining about the switch to bezel-less on iPhones and to usb-c only on macs, I can tell they probably would have similar complaints about the Rivian if/when they get their hands on one. I’m sorry but those battles ended years ago. If you aren’t open to new ideas then yes a Silverado will be “game changing”
Sponsored