Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I would guess that it some of the delay might be the weight difference between the two.
I think mostly it’s that tesla tends to push limits more. The gears/tires will probably take more wear. You can see it when people in Teslas post about their tires didn’t last very long
Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I'm really appreciating these comments related to the Model 3. One thing I wonder is what driving mode people are in. I've heard that the throttle tuning is different for Sport mode. In fact I thought I remember someone saying that's the only mode you can get the full power. It'll also stiffen up the hydraulic suspension to help with the steering response, and lower it to the bottom of the air suspension to help with steering response (and hurt comfort). Also, as someone else mentioned, the throttle pedal supposedly has a really long throw. So, it'll take more push to get a similar % total throttle.

My current vehicles are a 2018 Tesla M3P and a 2005 Lotus Elise. People in this thread are describing the Rivian compared to the Tesla like I describe the Tesla compared to the Lotus. :) It's all relative.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'd love to test drive one here, about 30 mins from my house: https://utahmotorsportscampus.com/
(Met Michael Jordan there years ago when his motorcycle team was racing. He was behaving as though he were in the NBA Finals...RIP Jazz - twice....shit).
I still need to take my S6 out there and see what the Stage 1 can really do.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Also a Tesla owner - 2021 Model S Long Range. Just took a test drive in the R1T equipped with the 22" wheels.

1. Sound System - Very impressed with the Meridian. At least on par with the Model S, perhaps a richer sound in the R1T.

2. Ground Clearance - My pet concern about the Model S is the low ground clearance for potholes, curbs, etc. Obviously no problem in the R1T.

3. Handling / Performance - No roll in the R1T, incredible for a truck. Noticed the same points others have about momentum - the R1T does not have the same immediate response to accelerator / steering input. It is still very precise in steering and it matches the Model S for acceleration after the first 30' and may exceed it until you hit the limiter (my guess), based on reported numbers. "Soft" in the R1T is a much more comfortable ride than Comfort in the S. I noticed in "Stiff" a forward-back motion over bumps, etc. More noticeable in High regen v. Standard. I think this relates to EV's not coasting. The motors are always engaged, so you feel a shift forward or back when you hit road imperfections. You feel it a bit in Soft, but it is much less pronounced. The suspension is dealing with 7000 lbs., so I'm sure that is a good part of it.

4. Shifter - Tough to go from the S (swipe up on the touchscreen for Drive, swipe down for Reverse) to the R1T stalk. I prefer the stalk for shifting.

5. Interior - Fit and finish is top notch. Seats (front and back) are comfortable with plenty of room.

6. Storage - Gear Tunnel is great and the Tonneau Cover worked flawlessly in the test truck I drove. Light rain may have helped that. Bed was dry.

Convinced me that buying the R1T is the right choice. I will be keeping the Model S.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I'm really appreciating these comments related to the Model 3. One thing I wonder is what driving mode people are in. I've heard that the throttle tuning is different for Sport mode. In fact I thought I remember someone saying that's the only mode you can get the full power. It'll also stiffen up the hydraulic suspension to help with the steering response, and lower it to the bottom of the air suspension to help with steering response (and hurt comfort). Also, as someone else mentioned, the throttle pedal supposedly has a really long throw. So, it'll take more push to get a similar % total throttle.

My current vehicles are a 2018 Tesla M3P and a 2005 Lotus Elise. People in this thread are describing the Rivian compared to the Tesla like I describe the Tesla compared to the Lotus. :) It's all relative.
I tried standard and sport mode. The power was insane in both. Throttle response not as instant in Tesla in either, but still better than ICE. The quality of the Rivian seemed far better than my 3.

Sponsored

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, r1t preorder, r1s preorder
Could a few of you comment on the motor noise difference in the r1t compared to tesla? I read some other comments that made it sound like the motor was always producing noise, or...at least a very different kind of noise. Like, I would describe the tesla motors as a bit high-pitched futuristic hum type of noise....is the rivian more like a grumble?

Also, how strong is the regenerative braking? About the same as tesla or more weak? I would hate to have to go back to 2 pedal driving...

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
Could a few of you comment on the motor noise difference in the r1t compared to tesla? I read some other comments that made it sound like the motor was always producing noise, or...at least a very different kind of noise. Like, I would describe the tesla motors as a bit high-pitched futuristic hum type of noise....is the rivian more like a grumble?

Also, how strong is the regenerative braking? About the same as tesla or more weak? I would hate to have to go back to 2 pedal driving...
Good question! "Engine" noise was the first thing I noticed! Tesla literally has 0 sound. The Rivian has this awesome and subtle note to it, really suits the truck. 2 regen settings, both allow 1 pedal driving. High regen I'd say on par or stronger than Tesla.

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
Good question! "Engine" noise was the first thing I noticed! Tesla literally has 0 sound. The Rivian has this awesome and subtle note to it, really suits the truck. 2 regen settings, both allow 1 pedal driving. High regen I'd say on par or stronger than Tesla.
I’ll second that with my test drive, compared to my S, there’s noticeable engine noise but it is very muted and quite pleasant. The regen for me is quite a bit stronger than the S and I did not use the brakes at all coming to 4 way stops during the test drive. And once stopped, the R1 also held the brake automatically, a nice surprise. I also prefer the more gradual acceleration that the R1 has, I have almost run into objects before with the overly enthusiastic acceleration in the S. And finally, the fit and finish and materials are really just so much better in the R1 than any Tesla.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
Tesla has noise. It's just that if you are over 25 you can't hear it.
Does yours? An artificial engine noise? Mine has none of that, just the usual wind and road noise.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
The R1T has two regen settings, Standard and High. It felt like High was more aggressive than the newest Model S regen. Standard was a little less v. the Model S. I preferred driving in Standard. Once you get used to driving the R1T, High might be just as natural.

Both settings allow effective 1-pedal driving.

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
Regarding "engine" noise see video below. Skip to 4 minute and 12:45 in to hear sound.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Does yours? An artificial engine noise? Mine has none of that, just the usual wind and road noise.
My first X had dual induction motors. I heard nothing and thought nothing about it until I saw people complaining about whine on the boards, I asked my son. His response was "You can't hear that?"

My current X has one induction and one PM motor. I can hear the cogging from the PM. It's at a much, much lower frequency, It is cogging noise that is being reported in the Rivians. They have PM motors.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I've driven the R1T twice, both times jumping from my Model 3 into the truck. I've never noticed the engine noise in the R1T. Not to say it doesn't have it, but just that it never was anything that jumped out at me. On the other hand, my M3 does make a high-pitched whine when I jump on it, but after a while I don't notice that either.
Sponsored