First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just took delivery on Friday and traded in a 2020 Model 3. The only issue I’m having is getting used to the motor noise. After having a Tesla that was super quiet, the buzzing sound of the motors at low speeds reminds me of the noise my model 3 made when the DU went out. Definitely a different sound after having Teslas for the past 4 years.

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
My 2019 Model 3 gave me the impression that it was slapped together as quickly as possible, although it was VERY fun to drive I imagine the R1T will be just as much, if not more fun. And quality has to be better than what I experienced with the Tesla.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Traded in a 2015 Tesla Model S 85D for the R1T which was delivered today. First impressions, Rivian rides so much better. Screen images are nicer and love the bird’s eye view especially when parking. Need to take it out for a longer drive, but overall, I’m very impressed. No buyer’s remorse at this time.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've driven nothing but Teslas for the past 6 years. First a Model S for almost 4 years and then a Y for the past two years. I just took delivery of my truck two days ago and have no regrets.

Pros:
  • Rivian's build quality blows Tesla out of the water. Solid construction, fit, and finish. Something often rattled in my Y.
  • The ride and handling is nicer in the R1T, much smoother. Takes turns like a champ, for a big vehicle.
  • 360 camera view is great. It's very helpful especially coming from a smaller car and getting into a truck for the first time. Helps me see how I'm fitting into my small garage or elsewhere.
  • Screen UI has nicer graphics.
  • The music/entertainment UX organization is sharper and easier to use.. especially the Spotify integration.
  • The range and flexibility of different drive modes is really nice. Though to be fair, it should not be compared to a Y - it would be fair to compare to a Cybertruck (if it ever materializes).
  • Drove on the PA Turnpike. Driver+ worked well and comparable to Tesla's (basic) autopilot.
  • I really like the Amazon Echo integration.
    • Alexa, how's the weather?
    • Alexa, turn off cabin lights.
    • Alexa, turn off climate.
Cons:
  • Software functionality is a bit limited and glitchy vs Tesla. But that's to be expected of any software that is still somewhat in its infancy stage. I'd expect it to mature drastically within a year or so.
    • Limitation example: No way to see tire pressure on the screens.
    • Glitchiness example: Sometimes switching to Spotify or TuneIn works well and sometimes it fails to load content. So gotta switch sources back and forth a couple of times.
  • Passive lock/unlock a little flaky at times. Sometimes (depending on where I am in the house) my phone will unlock the truck sitting in the garage. Yet sometimes I'll walk right up to it with my phone and it's still locked. I'm hoping they push an update soon that will decrease the activation radius.
  • Motors make a bit more noise compared to Tesla's. But it's not a big deal, I got used to it within two days.
  • Cameras' video quality is not as good as Tesla's. It's noticably blurrier, but good enough for its purpose.
  • Mobile app lacks basic functionality - can't really do much as far as vehicle control goes except lock/unlock. No window control, for example. Again, something that will most likely improve with time.
  • Driver+ works well on designated highways, but won't engage everywhere unlike Tesla's autopilot - I guess that's just for safety reasons and again, the fact that it's much younger software that needs more time to mature.
Again, zero regrets! I love my first ever truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've driven nothing but Teslas for the past 6 years. First a Model S for almost 4 years and then a Y for the past two years. I just took delivery of my truck two days ago and have no regrets.

Pros:
  • Rivian's build quality blows Tesla out of the water. Solid construction, fit, and finish. Something often rattled in my Y.
  • The ride and handling is nicer in the R1T, much smoother. Takes turns like a champ, for a big vehicle.
  • 360 camera view is great. It's very helpful especially coming from a smaller car and getting into a truck for the first time. Helps me see how I'm fitting into my small garage or elsewhere.
  • The music/entertainment UX organization is sharper and easier to use.. especially the Spotify integration.
  • The range and flexibility of different drive modes is really nice. Though to be fair, it should not be compared to a Y - it would be fair to compare to a Cybertruck (if it ever materializes).
  • Drove on the PA Turnpike. Driver+ worked well and comparable to Tesla's (basic) autopilot.
Cons:
  • Software functionality is a bit limited and glitchy vs Tesla. But that's to be expected of any software that is still somewhat in its infancy stage. I'd expect it to mature drastically within a year or so.
    • Glitchiness example: Sometimes switching to Spotify or TuneIn works well and sometimes it fails to load content. So gotta switch sources back and forth a couple of times.
  • Passive lock/unlock a little flaky at times. Sometimes (depending on where I am in the house) my phone will unlock the truck sitting in the garage. Yet sometimes I'll walk right up to it with my phone and it's still locked. I'm hoping they push an update soon that will decrease the activation radius.
  • Motors make a bit more noise compared to Tesla's. But it's not a big deal, I got used to it within two days.
  • Cameras' video quality is not as good as Tesla's. It's noticably blurrier, but good enough for its purpose.
  • Mobile app lacks basic functionality - can't really do much as far as vehicle control goes except lock/unlock. No window control, for example. Again, something that will most likely improve with time.
  • Driver+ works well on designated highways, but won't engage everywhere unlike Tesla's autopilot - I guess that's just for safety reasons and again, the fact that it's much younger software that needs more time to mature.
I do not have the truck yet but my understanding is the tire pressure display is on the left wing of the driver display. You should be able to scroll through those options, I think it is a long press on the left most button on the steering wheel.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I do not have the truck yet but my understanding is the tire pressure display is on the left wing of the driver display. You should be able to scroll through those options, I think it is a long press on the left most button on the steering wheel.
Ahha! There it is. Thank you!
(But there are other features that aren't there (yet)).

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR

Pros:
Cons:
This is a great review -- thank you. One question, how do you select music with voice control? For example, in the Tesla, I just press the right button and say, "play (song name) by (band name)." Can the Rivian do that? Also, how do voice commands work to select a nav destination?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I don’t have my truck yet, so can’t really comment on things I love/hate about it vs. my 2105 Model S. I loved that car and it served me well.

One thing that I will for certain miss is the Supercharger network and the fact that it was free for life for me. The places I frequent (MT and WY specifically) had good Supercharger coverage on the major freeways. Non-Tesla DCFC is almost non-existent in those states. There’s good progress/planning being made to fix that, but it will take time and during that time I’ll still be spoiled with what I used to have with Tesla’s network.

I’ll likely be frustrated a bit with the Driver+ until it matures a bit as well. It was one of my favorite things about my Tesla, and from what I’m reading, Rivian’s system is still has a ways to go.

I’m convinced the Rivian will have so many positives over the Model S that I will easily tolerate these things in the near term - knowing that they will improve. So unless I end up having major service issues with the truck, I don’t think I will have any regrets.

Last edited:

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I have a '22 Model 3 and love it. I see them as vastly different vehicles. I mean, the Model 3 is nearly TWICE as efficient as the Rivian. PLUS for any longer trips, I want the supercharger network to have my back.
I still plan to use the Rivian for camping trips, but I can't ignore the advantages of taking the Tesla when possible (energy, size, maneuverability, etc.).

Highly concerned about the motor noise of the R1T vs the Tesla.

Would just like to confirm, my Tesla still has these little issues. I absolutely hate walking up to my car to pull the handle, and it stays locked. I look like a fool while I get my phone out to get in. And the spotify lag has me batty when it delays music.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

• Motors make a bit more noise compared to Tesla's. But it's not a big deal, I got used to it within two days
Motor noise is a pro in my opinion. These things are so quiet that you don't get any sense of speed, but detecting a subtle change in pitch is easy. No need to introduce fake engine/motor noise when you have the real deal. Unfortunately I've heard a rumor that Rivian's in-house motors are supposed to be quieter.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Clubs

This is a great review -- thank you. One question, how do you select music with voice control? For example, in the Tesla, I just press the right button and say, "play (song name) by (band name)." Can the Rivian do that? Also, how do voice commands work to select a nav destination?
Yep, I just say "Alexa, play Pawn Shop by Sublime from Spotify"

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I’ll likely be frustrated a bit with the Driver+ until it matures a bit as well. It was one of my favorite things about my Tesla, and from what I’m reading, Rivian’s system is still has a ways to go.
In the few days I've used it thus far, Driver+ is pretty close to basic autopilot (if you consider only highway driving). But yeah, it's not quite there yet. I used it today on I95 and it worked well, except when encountered:
  • Construction areas
  • Long overpasses - it though it was in a tunnel and told me to take control
  • Extreme curves - got a little finicky and I took control because it made me feel uncomfortable.
Otherwise, it was a lovely ride in morning rush hour.
Sponsored

Last edited: