Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Summer is right around the corner and as I am making plans for travel this Summer to Florida, Atlanta, Colorado and California.

I realized how much more comfortable I am traveling across the nation thanks to driver assist technologies and Tesla Supercharging network being available recently.

Currently I have the following items I always carry with me. Tesla A2Z Typhoon Level 3 DCFC adapter, Tesla Level 2 Destination adapter (Hotels / Shopping Centers / Parking Lots), Portable charger and RV Park / Camping ground adapter. For the Level 2 adapter you will want to dial down the amperage to 80% of the breaker you are currently using by code.

I have also shared the tools like ABRP, Plugshare and Tesla Find US that I use to plan my road trips so I am familiar with the best / reliable chargers are and try to plan out my stops for food / restroom / hotels where a charging station is also located. I like to multitask where I can and save time. As they always say Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Feel free to use the below links or discount code "RIV" to save on products sold on A2Z website.

A2Z EV Tesla Supercharger Adapter for Rivian - Save 10% + FREE shipping with discount code "RIV". 12 Months Warranty

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

J+ BOOSTER 2 Bundle Set Heavy Duty TOUGH Portable Level 2 EV charger | 25ft - Waterproof & dirtproof (IP67), 240 volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station with flexible amperage settings up to 40 amps

Camping Ground / RV Park Adapter - Parkworld 885378 EV Adapter Cord NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R (ONLY for EV or Tesla use, NOT for RV) (1.5FT)

This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

You can use Plugshare to map out CCS charging stations along your route and also use Tesla Find Us to locate Magicdock chargers which have built in adapter to go from NACS to CCS / Tesla Superchargers which require Level 3 DCFC NACS to CCS adapters like A2Z Typhoon.

If you need one ASAP you can always order the A2Z Typhoon Level 3 DCFC adapter using the forum discount code "RIV", one of the most popular adapters currently being used by Rivian owners, F-150 lightning owners and Mustang Mach-E owners.

In addition, you can save further by purchasing a level 2 adapter bundle using the drop down options as well. This adapter is used with Tesla destination chargers commonly found at hotels / shopping center / parking lots.

The level 2 Stellar adapter will pay for it self overtime by avoiding an expensive fast charge on the road every night while you sleep at the hotel with Tesla destination charging.

You can use the same Tesla Find Us link to locate Tesla Level 2 destination chargers.

Finally I love to use ABRP to plan out my trips in detail.

Good luck on your planning and have a blast on your road-trip.

Hope that helps you with your Summer road-trip planning.

You can get the below on your desktop or download the App on your phone.

I hope everyone will share pictures of their summer road trip travel where you create precious memories with your family, friends and pets.

Feel free to share even pictures as simple as your vehicle charging at a Tesla station while you let your dog out for a walk or as fancy as taking a professional picture of your Rivian using Niagara Falls as a backdrop ;).

https://www.plugshare.com/

Tesla Find Us Superchargers available with adapter / Magicdock location Chargers

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

image0 (5).jpeg

1718628141955-sw.png

1718628157036-xd.png

1718628170496-0l.png

IMG_1679.jpeg

Stellar.JPG

RV Park.JPG

IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am happy to help and share what I’ve learned since my ownership.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your chosen Rivian. I love the dark wheels contrast against the Forest Green paint.

Please share pictures again when you take delivery.

What interior did you go with?

I would also recommend ceramic coating the interior seats / vegan leather with something like Gyeon Leathershield.

https://a.co/d/8m1M2ib

smunro622

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Great advice..new to Rivian but came from a Mach E, I also had a 50 ft heavy duty extension cord with everything noted above. ABRP and Plug share are my go-to apps now...only other advise is spend 30 mins and map your route out before taking a road trip...also don't forget don't forget to do a visit a local Tesla SC and know how the adapter works and what a V3 looks like vs a V4...

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Summer is right around the corner and as I am making plans for travel this Summer to Florida, Atlanta, Colorado and California.

I realized how much more comfortable I am traveling across the nation thanks to driver assist technologies and Tesla Supercharging network being available recently.

Currently I have the following items I always carry with me. Tesla A2Z Typhoon Level 3 DCFC adapter, Tesla Level 2 Destination adapter (Hotels / Shopping Centers / Parking Lots), Portable charger and RV Park / Camping ground adapter. For the Level 2 adapter you will want to dial down the amperage to 80% of the breaker you are currently using by code.

I have also shared the tools like ABRP, Plugshare and Tesla Find US that I use to plan my road trips so I am familiar with the best / reliable chargers are and try to plan out my stops for food / restroom / hotels where a charging station is also located. I like to multitask where I can and save time. As they always say Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Feel free to use the below links or discount code "RIV" to save on products sold on A2Z website.

A2Z EV Tesla Supercharger Adapter for Rivian - Save 10% + FREE shipping with discount code "RIV". 12 Months Warranty

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

J+ BOOSTER 2 Bundle Set Heavy Duty TOUGH Portable Level 2 EV charger | 25ft - Waterproof & dirtproof (IP67), 240 volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station with flexible amperage settings up to 40 amps

Camping Ground / RV Park Adapter - Parkworld 885378 EV Adapter Cord NEMA TT-30P to 14-50R (ONLY for EV or Tesla use, NOT for RV) (1.5FT)

This post and future posts may contain links to affiliate website, and we may receive a commission for any purchase made by you on the affiliate website. Our affiliates include GoAFFpro and Shareasale.

You can use Plugshare to map out CCS charging stations along your route and also use Tesla Find Us to locate Magicdock chargers which have built in adapter to go from NACS to CCS / Tesla Superchargers which require Level 3 DCFC NACS to CCS adapters like A2Z Typhoon.

If you need one ASAP you can always order the A2Z Typhoon Level 3 DCFC adapter using the forum discount code "RIV", one of the most popular adapters currently being used by Rivian owners, F-150 lightning owners and Mustang Mach-E owners.

In addition, you can save further by purchasing a level 2 adapter bundle using the drop down options as well. This adapter is used with Tesla destination chargers commonly found at hotels / shopping center / parking lots.

The level 2 Stellar adapter will pay for it self overtime by avoiding an expensive fast charge on the road every night while you sleep at the hotel with Tesla destination charging.

You can use the same Tesla Find Us link to locate Tesla Level 2 destination chargers.

Finally I love to use ABRP to plan out my trips in detail.

Good luck on your planning and have a blast on your road-trip.

Hope that helps you with your Summer road-trip planning.

You can get the below on your desktop or download the App on your phone.

I hope everyone will share pictures of their summer road trip travel where you create precious memories with your family, friends and pets.

Feel free to share even pictures as simple as your vehicle charging at a Tesla station while you let your dog out for a walk or as fancy as taking a professional picture of your Rivian using Niagara Falls as a backdrop ;).

https://www.plugshare.com/

Tesla Find Us Superchargers available with adapter / Magicdock location Chargers

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

image0 (5).jpeg
IMG_1658.jpeg
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg

Stellar.JPG

RV Park.JPG
What ABRP settings do you use? (Reference consumption @65mph, Max Speed, and Reference speed %). With my R1S on 21s, I currently use 2.60, 83 mph, and 110%. This is generally slightly conservative, but I am curious what others use & how they find it.

Depending on my first leg (how far to the first decent charger), I will charge between 85 and 100% the night before (timed to reach 100% at my scheduled departure time), and I also plan my trips on ABRP to live within 7% and 70% SOC. I've had a couple of issues below 5% SOC (car throws a fault when changing drive modes, for example) and the charging speed really slows down over 70%. I will use Conserve mode if I need to stretch to get to a better charger/better amenities at the charging stop.

I find that Rivian's in-car Nav is a more conservative, but it's really nice to know what it says.

Sponsored

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Great advice..new to Rivian but came from a Mach E, I also had a 50 ft heavy duty extension cord with everything noted above. ABRP and Plug share are my go-to apps now...only other advise is spend 30 mins and map your route out before taking a road trip...also don't forget don't forget to do a visit a local Tesla SC and know how the adapter works and what a V3 looks like vs a V4...
I also carry heavy duty extension cord in the truck - it has come in handy on occasion.

smunro622

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
I also carry heavy duty extension cord in the truck - it has come in handy on occasion.
Been a few places with a 110 20 amp outlet that I have used ..works for me over night not a ton of range but gets me ~30 mins down the road to find something else...I had a older lectron Tesla destination to J1772 and it works...free electric is free electric over 20 amps..

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What ABRP settings do you use? (Reference consumption @65mph, Max Speed, and Reference speed %). With my R1S on 21s, I currently use 2.60, 83 mph, and 110%. This is generally slightly conservative, but I am curious what others use & how they find it.

Depending on my first leg (how far to the first decent charger), I will charge between 85 and 100% the night before (timed to reach 100% at my scheduled departure time), and I also plan my trips on ABRP to live within 7% and 70% SOC. I've had a couple of issues below 5% SOC (car throws a fault when changing drive modes, for example) and the charging speed really slows down over 70%. I will use Conserve mode if I need to stretch to get to a better charger/better amenities at the charging stop.

I find that Rivian's in-car Nav is a more conservative, but it's really nice to know what it says.

Honestly I am not a good reference for ABRP settings. I use the most and I mean the most conservative settings. I am running 20" All terrains and tend to overcharge because of how long our breaks are.

I charge to 100% every time the night before.

I run a max speed of lead foot aka 93 mph.

reference consumption is 455 Wh/mi.

reference speed 110%

I typically only take it down to 20%

I tried conserve once to see how much difference it made but don't care to use it again.

At this point in my life I enjoy the slower pace of road trips and driver assist. I enjoy the sight seeing and don't mind extra charging stops as long as they're reliable / work or longer stops to go beyond 80%.

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Thank you... your 455 Wh/Mile is ~2.20 Mi/kWh (which is the way Rivian tracks it).

I, too, don't mind the pace of EV road trips. I do a 790 mile trip several times a year. I used to cannonball run it in my ICE days in under 12 hours. Now, it takes about 14 hrs. Living between ~7% and 70% minimizes charging time and driving faster (to shorten driving time between stops) seems to be worth the little bit of extra charging time required because of the higher driving speed. In practical terms, in my experience (& with decent chargers!) I can get about 3hrs driving on the first let (departing at 90-100% SOC) and then segments with 1:45-2:00 of driving time (150-ish miles) after that and 25-30 minute charging stops in between.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

With Jbooster and Stellar you are paying for quality, capability, size / compactness, engineering, certification, warranty, futureproofing and customer service.

After buying my most expensive vehicle to date, I don't want to skimp out on quality.

Here is the information for J-Booster+ / Stellar impressive capabilities / build quality.

Product Information

J+ BOOSTER 2 With 25ft Cable, NEMA 5-15 Adapter, NEMA 14-50 Adapter, Carrying Case and Wall Bracket
  • Made with military-grade aluminum & drive-over resistant to wheel loads up to 6,600 lbs
  • Safe & Reliable - ETL Certified for compliance to UL 2594, UL 2231-1, and UL 2231-2
  • Waterproof & Dustproof (IP67)
  • Operable internal temperature range: -22°F to +122°F
  • Type-A-EV residual current device (RCD) for enhanced safety
  • Automatic temperature monitoring and charging power detection

A2Z Stellar EVSE Tesla To J1772 | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

Specifications :
  • Power : Charging speeds up to 20kW
  • Rated Voltage: 240VAC
  • Amperage : up to 80A
  • Conductor Material : silver plated copper
  • Shell Material : UL94V-0
  • Operating Temperature : -30°C to 50°C.
  • Security : Dual Temperature kill switch.
  • Security : locks into the vehicle while charging.
  • Degree of protection : IP54

Product certifications :

• CE certified
  • FCC certified (EMI)
  • Tested and compliant with UL2252's outline

Last edited:

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

With Jbooster and Stellar you are paying for quality, capability, size / compactness, engineering, certification, warranty, futureproofing and customer service.

After buying my most expensive vehicle to date, I don't want to skimp out on quality.

Here is the information for J-Booster+ / Stellar impressive capabilities / build quality.

Product Information

J+ BOOSTER 2 With 25ft Cable, NEMA 5-15 Adapter, NEMA 14-50 Adapter, Carrying Case and Wall Bracket
  • Made with military-grade aluminum & drive-over resistant to wheel loads up to 6,600 lbs
  • Safe & Reliable - ETL Certified for compliance to UL 2594, UL 2231-1, and UL 2231-2
  • Waterproof & Dustproof (IP67)
  • Operable internal temperature range: -22°F to +122°F
  • Type-A-EV residual current device (RCD) for enhanced safety
  • Automatic temperature monitoring and charging power detection

A2Z Stellar EVSE Tesla To J1772 | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

Specifications :
  • Power : Charging speeds up to 20kW
  • Rated Voltage: 240VAC
  • Amperage : up to 80A
  • Conductor Material : silver plated copper
  • Shell Material : UL94V-0
  • Operating Temperature : -30°C to 50°C.
  • Security : Dual Temperature kill switch.
  • Security : locks into the vehicle while charging.
  • Degree of protection : IP54

Product certifications :

• CE certified
  • FCC certified (EMI)
  • Tested and compliant with UL2252's outline
You know everyone selling electronics and electronic connectors or interfaces are required to meet CE/UL/ETL/ISO/ etc compliance, right? And having FCC certification alongside CE is moot--someone wanted to pay to say they did something, because CE covers radiated emissions (EMI+RF).

A company 'bragging' about doing the minimum shouldn't be what you're celebrating.

Also, as someone who has served in the military, I shudder about 'military grade' anything. It's not premium. It's the most economical thing you can build to 'get the job done' while charging 2x what it's worth.

No one's going to tell you how to spend your money, but from where I sit, the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted." Bravo to the marketing teams who convinced you to spend extra!! (End of day, that's all that is, unfortunately: marketing and gimmicks.)

Just my .02 (as an Engineer who's worked in the connector industry, including AD&M--Aerospace, Defense, and Marine). By the way, the extra 'benefit' of working to a standard is: you know what the minimum is to pass, and that's generally where you aim :) I'm also verily wary of UL2252, which is yet to be ratified. You know what typically takes time to fully release a spec of this nature? When there are likely to be changes. You know how many times we engineered something to a draft of a UL standard for it to change in the 11th hour (which meant we were also working to update/adopt the new standards and our former designs were no longer compliant to)?

Again, your choices, and your money. Everyone should be educated, that's all.

A2ZEV

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Tesla MYP, 24' Tesla MSLR
Occupation
A2Z EV | EVSE
You know everyone selling electronics and electronic connectors or interfaces are required to meet CE/UL/ETL/ISO/ etc compliance, right? And having FCC certification alongside CE is moot--someone wanted to pay to say they did something, because CE covers radiated emissions (EMI+RF).

A company 'bragging' about doing the minimum shouldn't be what you're celebrating.

Also, as someone who has served in the military, I shudder about 'military grade' anything. It's not premium. It's the most economical thing you can build to 'get the job done' while charging 2x what it's worth.

No one's going to tell you how to spend your money, but from where I sit, the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted." Bravo to the marketing teams who convinced you to spend extra!! (End of day, that's all that is, unfortunately: marketing and gimmicks.)

Just my .02 (as an Engineer who's worked in the connector industry, including AD&M--Aerospace, Defense, and Marine). By the way, the extra 'benefit' of working to a standard is: you know what the minimum is to pass, and that's generally where you aim :) I'm also verily wary of UL2252, which is yet to be ratified. You know what typically takes time to fully release a spec of this nature? When there are likely to be changes. You know how many times we engineered something to a draft of a UL standard for it to change in the 11th hour (which meant we were also working to update/adopt the new standards and our former designs were no longer compliant to)?

Hi there,

There is no certification proper to EV charging adapters. Tesla has been selling CCS1 to Tesla adapters for years without a single certification. We did certify the said product in accordance with CE to ensure we are doing everything right, plus we do have our own test equipment, the equivalent of what UL, CSA or ETA have. We did start the testing process with UL in accordance with UL2252's draft and that is for all of our North American charging adapters. We are also part of the SAE J3400 and J3400/1 committee and our adapter has been teared down, tested and stressed by the vast majority of OEMs if not all of them. Being part of the SAE committee allowed us to bring our ideas, learn about the standard and abide by it. We are doing all we can and maybe more than any EV charging adapter manufacturer regarding safety and we will keep on giving our 100% to ensure customer's safety. There might be minimal changes to the standard and those were confirmed by the SAE committee and UL, we are here for the customer and we will be as transparent as possible regarding any given information.

Thank you for your service!

Thank you.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Hi there,

There is no certification proper to EV charging adapters. Tesla has been selling CCS1 to Tesla adapters for years without a single certification. We did certify the said product in accordance with CE to ensure we are doing everything right, plus we do have our own test equipment, the equivalent of what UL, CSA or ETA have. We did start the testing process with UL in accordance with UL2252's draft and that is for all of our North American charging adapters. We are also part of the SAE J3400 and J3400/1 committee and our adapter has been teared down, tested and stressed by the vast majority of OEMs if not all of them. Being part of the SAE committee allowed us to bring our ideas, learn about the standard and abide by it. We are doing all we can and maybe more than any EV charging adapter manufacturer regarding safety and we will keep on giving our 100% to ensure customer's safety. There might be minimal changes to the standard and those were confirmed by the SAE committee and UL, we are here for the customer and we will be as transparent as possible regarding any given information.

Thank you for your service!

Thank you.
To be clear, A2Z, my comments were with respect to @MidngihtRivian's expectations regarding J+Booster and Stellar. I don't think your adapter is overpriced marketing. And to be clear, I have no experience with ANY of these products. They could all very well be 'better' than the next guy.

Though, my concern is regarding ALT. From where I sit, the NACS to CCS adapters spent all of 6 months in development. In my experience, a team of 15 Engineers and a dedicated test lab takes a minimum of 12 months for advanced lifecycle testing. You can get that down to 9 months with permutations or established technologies. Granted, I only worked for a Fortune 500 connector company for 8 years, so I might not know what I'm talking about ...

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your engineering experience.

Certifications is just one reason why I like the Jbooster / A2Z products.

The things I value even more than certifications is quality, capability, size / compactness, engineering, warranty, futureproofing and customer service.

As you can see A2Z is active on the forum, has good reviews and quality products.

I am happy to vote with my dollars, help small business and treat my car to quality products.

I am glad people have options and love to see new vendors creating products for Rivian customers.

Thanks again for your service. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.

Have a good evening.

IMG_1679.jpeg
Sponsored