First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I haven't watched the whole presentation, but my takeaway was there wasn't anything revolutionary in the presentation. They have a roadmap to increase capacity and decrease cost over the next several years. That being said, having the roadmap is very important and shows that the costs will be coming down in the near to intermediate future.
One article I read in the financial press said that if you weren't excited by the presentation you probably didn't understand it.

... but he’s [Musk] known to introduce products well before they are ready.

Sandy Munroe says Musk was sandbagging.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sandy Munroe says Musk was sandbagging.
This would be interesting, because it would be a complete 180 from the way Musk has always been. Previously, he's always been over aggressive with his claims & timelines.

On the other hand, I think RJ is definitely a sandbagger.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well to make it more interesting Munroe said he thinks Musk is sandbagging on this because he has always sandbagged.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
On the other hand, I think RJ is definitely a sandbagger.
As I recall, his mantra has always been to “under promise and over deliver.” If that’s what you mean by a sandbagger, I see it in a positive, not negative connotation.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well as I've always understood the term sandbagging involves an attempt to deceive in order to obtain for yourself an advantage later on. IOW it's at least a little devious. I don't seen any of that in RJ. He stikes me as a pretty straight guy.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
One article I read in the financial press said that if you weren't excited by the presentation you probably didn't understand it.
It isn't that I wasn't exited, but individually none of the items is revolutionary. Each one is an iterative improvement, but together they are a very significant improvement. I have been expecting improvements in batteries of this amount between 2023 and 2025. I would also caution people that none of this is available now and additional work needs to be done. All time frames were estimates of when the technology would be ready and are subject to change.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Musk did just clarify that the high nickel content cells are out on the street today but he was very mysterious as to which cars they are in.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
As I recall, his mantra has always been to “under promise and over deliver.” If that’s what you mean by a sandbagger, I see it in a positive, not negative connotation.
It's a common term in the sales world, meaning you've got more lined up than you're committing. AKA under promise & over deliver.

The opposite would be committing more than you can back up.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
It's a common term in the sales world, meaning you've got more lined up than you're committing. AKA under promise & over deliver.

The opposite would be committing more than you can back up.
I’ve always felt like that Rivian was under promising and hopefully will be over delivering.

I feel like that’s why the configurator hasn’t been released yet—too many fluctuations on pricing/material availability to make it accurate. I’m hoping we’ll all be pleasantly surprised.

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I appreciate that RJ seems like a standup guy but don't you have to deliver to have a reputation for over delivering? I keep reading that Rivian will under promise /over deliver all of the time on this forum and talk is cheap and reputations need to be earned at least for me . I have a deposit and want one of these but everyone seems so all in on something that they have never driven or even sat in.

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I appreciate that RJ seems like a standup guy but don't you have to deliver to have a reputation for over delivering? I keep reading that Rivian will under promise /over deliver all of the time on this forum and talk is cheap and reputations need to be earned at least for me . I have a deposit and want one of these but everyone seems so all in on something that they have never driven or even sat in.
I understand what you are saying. I know a lot of the members on this forum have seen both vehicles up close. I personally have never seen one in person. I think for me, following Rivians story and RJ and his reputation up to this point has been nothing but professional. You almost feel a sense of security when you listen to him. I feel most people on this forum feel it too.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
My position is that how we feel about Rivian or RJ has no impact on what they will produce, so why not be optimistic? It doesn't cost me any more to feel good about the vehicles.

So until proven otherwise, I'm a fanboi. :like:

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
I agree battery improvements are going to be incremental. Has anyone heard or want to speculate on the warranty for the initial Rivian batteries or the R1T truck? Providing a warranty above their current competitors’ shows that they are fully standing behind their first-generation EVs.
Our Hyundai Kona EV has a lifetime battery warranty and replacement with no strings attached.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Our Hyundai Kona EV has a lifetime battery warranty and replacement with no strings attached.
That changed after the 2019 model year (and there always were a few strings like only the original owner, commercial usage like Lyft/Uber, etc.).

Current Warranty:
**The Hybrid/Electric Limited Battery Warranty covers defects in the factory workmanship or materials of the vehicle's lithium polymer battery for 10 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Coverage does not apply to lease and commercial vehicles or vehicles serviced or registered outside the U.S. See your Hyundai dealer and your Owner’s Handbook for complete warranty details and limitations.
Degradation warranty is 70% of original capacity within the warranty period (a fairly typical %)

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
That changed after the 2019 model year (and there always were a few strings like only the original owner, commercial usage like Lyft/Uber, etc.).

Current Warranty:
**The Hybrid/Electric Limited Battery Warranty covers defects in the factory workmanship or materials of the vehicle's lithium polymer battery for 10 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Coverage does not apply to lease and commercial vehicles or vehicles serviced or registered outside the U.S. See your Hyundai dealer and your Owner’s Handbook for complete warranty details and limitations.
Degradation warranty is 70% of original capacity within the warranty period (a fairly typical %)
WOW ... glad I bought the 2019 last August .... I have not checked the recent warranty which you provided. I need to check because I remember asking if the lifetime battery replacement was transferable if I sold the vehicle and I believe the answer was yes. Our Chevy Bolt is 8 years I believe.
Sponsored