Kiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web Developer
Hey guys
New here to the forums. Been lurking for the last couple weeks when my interest in a R1T started.

10 days ago I decided to put down a deposit but there was no option to configure. Last week I receipt access to the shop and found a 90% match to my config. So I locked it in and I can pick it up on Sunday. There’s a couple of things that have me uneasy to go through so if anyone would like to share their opinion I’d appreciate it

it’s a 2023 quad motor, 21” wheels with a large battery pack and powered tonneau cover.

my concerns are 1) I’m buying a 2023 model in 2024 which will cost me 154k with taxes and all. Would that be a dumb thing to do as its value is probably gonna be hit more when I sell and I’m paying full price.

2) I asked them about the Powered tonneau cover and they said it’s the revised one installed not the original. Reading how some owners still don’t have theirs fixed and have been living with it without one while waiting scares me.

3) Just the fact that this particular 2023 model hasn’t sold doesn’t sit well with me especially that here in Toronto it seems like the demand for the car is high and they just started selling them.

hope this isn’t too long. I’m not in a rush to buy it if it’s not a smart decision. Please chime in and let me know what you think or if there’s anything I’m missing I should be thinking of
Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Year doesn't as much make a difference with an EV IMHO, although I understand your thinking based on what it will be worth when you decide to part ways. You'll love it, but it could be bumpy. I love my R1T, and am NOT a pickup guy. I never use the bed yet, but as a 5 passenger vehicle it's pretty great. BUT there are some nits, some already fixed some in the hopper, so be prepared for some weird items to crop up.

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Model 3, 2024 Mustang GT
Occupation
Self Employed
1- That's like $113k in US dollars. That seems like a lot? Does Canada have much higher taxes? Regardless, it's a car. It IS going to depreciate. If you're uncomfortable with losing 25-30% of the value in the first year, then you shouldn't buy it. Otherwise, just get it and enjoy the truck. They're great!

2- Not all the Tonneau covers broke. Mine was fine and I had a 2022. If they say it's the revised cover I wouldn't worry about it. Regardless, it'll be under warranty.

3- Personally, I wouldn't worry about this.

Good luck with your decision!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've had a QM for two years and I love it, only you can justify the cost, personally I would prefer a DM if I was buying today.

I wouldn't worry about it being a 2023 or the tonneau cover (mine original one still works). Though I hope you are getting a discount of some kind, they seem willing to deal a bit on remaining 2023 inventory.

OP
OP

Kiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web Developer
Year doesn't as much make a difference with an EV IMHO, although I understand your thinking based on what it will be worth when you decide to part ways. You'll love it, but it could be bumpy. I love my R1T, and am NOT a pickup guy. I never use the bed yet, but as a 5 passenger vehicle it's pretty great. BUT there are some nits, some already fixed some in the hopper, so be prepared for some weird items to crop up.
I am not a truck person either but I feel like i will love this car. Yeah it’s the parting ways part I feel like for an asset that depreciates quickly anyway why am I starting already a year down paying the full price too

1- That's like $113k in US dollars. That seems like a lot? Does Canada have much higher taxes? Regardless, it's a car. It IS going to depreciate. If you're uncomfortable with losing 25-30% of the value in the first year, then you shouldn't buy it. Otherwise, just get it and enjoy the truck. They're great!

2- Not all the Tonneau covers broke. Mine was fine and I had a 2022. If they say it's the revised cover I wouldn't worry about it. Regardless, it'll be under warranty.

That’s my main issue. I’m paying full price for a 2023 model. The issue isn’t that I’m worried the car is going to depreciate. I know it will and I’m ok with it. It’s not my first car. But the idea of paying the same price for a 2023 model doesn’t seem like it’s a smart thing to do?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web Developer
I've had a QM for two years and I love it, only you can justify the cost, personally I would prefer a DM if I was buying today.

I wouldn't worry about it being a 2023 or the tonneau cover (mine original one still works). Though I hope you are getting a discount of some kind, they seem willing to deal a bit on remaining 2023 inventory.
yeah I wouldn’t think about it honestly if I can get any kind of deal on it.

A DM performance would have been my choice but there was none available in the shop unfortunately

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

👍🏼

OP
OP

Kiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web Developer
An update..

i didn’t end up purchasing the car. I made my peace with all my issues above. Friday night I receive an email that the powered tonneau cover will not come with the car and that I’ll be in line to get it once everyone who has a warranty claim has theirs replaced. Gave me a fall estimate.
So I just felt I would be comprising way too much at this point. They offered a 3k credit which I declined.
Sponsored