Sponsored

Take delivery before a test drive?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Definitely have to see as many interior and exterior options as well as both R1S and R1T side by side and drive one at highway speed. Would prefer to at least see comp reviews of impact of tire choice on range, noise and ride. This is not a mail order bride, it is my ride. There must be speed dating followed by courtship before commitment.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Right there with you mate. How does that third row look when carseats occupy the 2nd row...real world problems...
Just put the car seats in the third row, no problem!

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Hopefully the Rivian marketing folks get as much coverage for the R1S as they have for the R1T. That should provide plenty of information to make my decision.

I would love to drive one or at least see it in person, but it wouldn't stop me from completing my order if they called me today.

StormyKnight

First Name
Stormy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt / Silverado Hybrid
I thought I was the only one in northern Michigan (Alpena) waiting. We were invited to one of the first events to see a Rivian and climb with Alex Honnold at Planet Rock downstate in January '19. It was short notice and didn't go. Big regret.

I'm starting to get desperate though and would take one sight unseen. After three years of research, I feel like I won't be surprised by much. My old Silverado has left us stranded three times since the summer and I'm not sure it will make it another year.

See you out there.

Sponsored

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I sure would like to see Limestone before locking in my configuration...
I'd go for Limestone without seeing it. I have a feeling it's gonna be a showstopper

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
No, I would not buy a new Rivian, or anything else for that matter, without driving it first for an extended period of time. I did the limited initial 10-minute Model 3 test drive and was so giddy with enthusiasm that I bought it (ordered it) on the spot. It was not until I spent a few days driving it that I realized just how much I did not like it.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I feel like the Assurance (7 days/1000 miles) policy is better than a test drive. Test drives are normally 15 minutes on roads you don't travel, in a car you have no familiarity with, you may be easily impressed if the last time you went car shopping was 5 years ago, and possibly a sales person yapping away. At least 7 days, I can go to work or the store several times. Only question I have is if I do a trade-in, and decide I do not like the Rivian, can I get my trade in back or is it gone?

I might be hesitant to consider certain colors I haven't seen online (Limestone is out). Right now I am leaning LA Silver/Forest Edge or Rivian Blue/Ocean Coast based on pictures/videos. Obviously I would feel much better picking colors I have seen in person. But I am guessing I am around 45000 in line so hopefully I can see/drive before my spot comes up.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Let me add some thoughts about interior colors since that's already come up in this thread and in other threads, like the ones about test drives and R1T views at Sonoma.

Compatibility of interior colors with exterior colors. Black Mountain goes with every exterior color and, as others have noted, it's more a middle gray/charcoal than black. The black wood stain does not clash with how interior elements come together. Indeed, the combination of black wood, aluminum trim, charcoal seats and glass screens seems the most "modern"/hip look of the three interiors to me, and BM doesn't vary much depending on the direction or intensity of exterior light. (I don't like dark interiors, but with a full window overhead, BM doesn't seem "dark".)

Ocean Coast goes with most but not all exterior colors. It's really a light, fairly bright gray with a slight blue cast. Light & bright may not go well with certain exterior colors. I won't give my own thoughts on the matter since colors are subjective, but it is something to ponder when making color choices. The OC wood stain has received a lot of comments, both good and bad, and it reflects light much more than any other stain. In some cases, OC's white looks more like a wash than a stain and, in general, there's more variation in how OC ash looks in comparison with BM and FE ash.

Forest Edge gets a lot of positive reviews. The seats are gray-green, so very different than what's shown in the configurator, but even if they appear more gray/grayish in person, there's definitely a green cast. FE is the one interior color that doesn't go so well with certain exterior colors. Black, red, perhaps blue and maybe even limestone are non-matches for me, but to each his/her own.

FE stain pleases many, and it goes well with the green-gray seats, but I wonder how much of FE's pleasing quality is because we're used to brown stained wood? FE wood is comforting because brown wood is all around us. Personally, I felt that FE was pleasing to the eye as a color, but brown stained ash was out of character with a super-modern, EV super-truck. By comparison, OC seems more modern or at least Swedish modern, and BM seems more coastal cool/hip to my eyes. (I've lived in California for most of my adult life, except for a dozen years overseas.)

All of this is purely personal and subjective. Some of it might be helpful to folks who are trying to work through their interior color choices. My own configuration is LE, LG, BM, ATs, Off-road, shuttle.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Yes. Frankly, I trust other people's judgement on how a car drives more than mine (or my wife's).
Same here.
I am however concerned that on delivery day the flat bed shows up with my R1T and it has a piece of loose interior trim, some minor paint flaws, and the under seat storage door hangs up all missed by QC. Do I refuse it? If so do they ship a replacement next week... in 6 months or need to completely reorder? This is guaranteed to happen to a certain percentage, right?

Sponsored

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I would. Its par for the course if you are getting a Launch Edition. There hasnt been a single negative review. I'd feel comfortable. And at least I have all you R1T guinea pigs.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I thought I was the only one in northern Michigan (Alpena) waiting. We were invited to one of the first events to see a Rivian and climb with Alex Honnold at Planet Rock downstate in January '19. It was short notice and didn't go. Big regret.

I'm starting to get desperate though and would take one sight unseen. After three years of research, I feel like I won't be surprised by much. My old Silverado has left us stranded three times since the summer and I'm not sure it will make it another year.

See you out there.
You are a bit farther away than I am (Traverse City) from wherever ends up being the closest SC to us. The IPO documents showed a chart of future SC locations - SE MI (Rivian's Plymouth facility?) and Grand Rapids were on it. I've read nothing about SC work starting on either, so I'm guessing delivery for us will come out of Normal or Chicago.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You are a bit farther away than I am (Traverse City) from wherever ends up being the closest SC to us. The IPO documents showed a chart of future SC locations - SE MI (Rivian's Plymouth facility?) and Grand Rapids were on it. I've read nothing about SC work starting on either, so I'm guessing delivery for us will come out of Normal or Chicago.
I read a local newspaper article that indicated Rivian had started working on a service center in Plymouth, but I haven't had any luck identifying the location or finding any building department records outside of their existing location and the neighboring Burroughs office building.
Sponsored