Sponsored

Tailgate gooseneck hinge

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Has anyone spied the gooseneck tailgate hinge In action?
Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Bump. Been searching for something about how a gooseneck tailgate is setup/works but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas how this is going to be setup?

Side note, I saw the 180 tailgate is off the table. Previously there were some pics out there where they had a flip out step when it was down (super cool, bummer it won't be there). Now with that out and the bumper being so narrow, any thoughts on how to step into the bed from the back with the tailgate up and down?

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Bump. Been searching for something about how a gooseneck tailgate is setup/works but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas how this is going to be setup?

Side note, I saw the 180 tailgate is off the table. Previously there were some pics out there where they had a flip out step when it was down (super cool, bummer it won't be there). Now with that out and the bumper being so narrow, any thoughts on how to step into the bed from the back with the tailgate up and down?
The expectation I have heard is to just use the gear tunnel doors as the step in from the front of the bed and not enter from the rear of the vehicle with the tailgate up or down. I personally feel this is pretty short sided, especially in inclement weather scenarios, you would have to open a sealed compartment to do that.

I still havenā€™t gotten to see one in person as I had to miss the event I had signed up for a long time ago, but here may be just enough surface area to get a foot there for hold and climb in with the tailgate up but wonā€™t know until I see one. Alternatively you could get a hitch step to use as the need arises (or permanently).

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired

I searched online for gooseneck hinges and found several designs. I'm not sure which one Rivian plans to use.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
A lot of "I heard" on this forum but nothing from Rivian. Very interesting.

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
A lot of "I heard" on this forum but nothing from Rivian. Very interesting.
The gear tunnel comment I referenced was from a CS chat. I take a lot of that with a grain of salt though for now as there has been so much conflicting information across the board up to this point.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Heard the same when I reached out several days ago in that if you want to get in and out of the bed to use the gear tunnel but the seems sub optimal for loading/unloading. Also, I have kids that would have to go head first into the bed from the gear tunnel to get over the side. Seems like a cut out on the corner of the bumper would be best unless this gooseneck really surprises.

OP
OP

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Heard the same when I reached out several days ago in that if you want to get in and out of the bed to use the gear tunnel but the seems sub optimal for loading/unloading. Also, I have kids that would have to go head first into the bed from the gear tunnel to get over the side. Seems like a cut out on the corner of the bumper would be best unless this gooseneck really surprises.
Also thatā€˜s a pretty sharp point on the rear of the gear tunnelā€˜s door. It will definitely catch a few unsuspecting shins, thighs and children.
Sponsored