System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Well,

This is disappointing. I’ve been out of town for the past 6 days and my R1T has not been driven since I left - until this morning when my wife drove it to a work conference.

On her way home, she sees the following error messages:

“System Fault Detected. Performance Limited. Service May Be Required”

“Vehicle Battery Issue. Service Truck Soon.”

Latest update was installed yesterday. Did a hard reset at Rivian Service’s suggestion. Once the brake pedal is depressed, error message comes back up. Rivian is kicking it up to diagnostics and said they’d get back to me.

I have an upcoming appointment on 11/1 for 9-10 mostly minor issues, but the other major one is that my car doesn’t Level 3 DCFC.

VIN 98XX, built 7/2022, delivered 9/12/2022, current mileage 708.

I’m very disappointed, but am confident it’ll all get fixed.

Rivian said not to drive the vehicle in the meantime. They offered a loaner or rental, but I declined since I’m out of town but requested one for my service appointment on 11/1. Also told them I’d do a short test drive 10/31 to see if it can make it up to the Service Center on 11/1.

Will post some updates once I have them. Very bummed. Love the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue EA92D5C1-EC60-4F21-BD22-D93237C20942

Rivian R1T R1S System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue 5C13FD41-9C42-4E47-BED5-E4A0DF28A8F3
Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian Service called me back this morning. They wanted to tow the truck to the Service Center so we arranged that for this weekend.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Dodge Magnum SRT8
Occupation
CDJR Sales
I had the same messages but I walked away from the truck, locked it and returned to normal operation. I've had my truck in the shop twice for two minor repairs. Once I was given a Enterprise car and the second a loaner R1T. Both times I was updated as work was being done/completed so their service department has out performed my stores service department in that aspect. Can't complain one bit.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I had the same messages but I walked away from the truck, locked it and returned to normal operation. I've had my truck in the shop twice for two minor repairs. Once I was given a Enterprise car and the second a loaner R1T. Both times I was updated as work was being done/completed so their service department has out performed my stores service department in that aspect. Can't complain one bit.
I learned the Phoenix Service Center currently has 3 R1’s in the loaner fleet. They requested one for me, but all were out at the moment. If one becomes available Sunday when the tow truck arrives, I guess it’s mine, but if not, I have an Enterprise rental as a back up.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Sounds like you had your foot on your brake when you changed the height. It will definitely make more noise.

Sponsored

MKSRT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RT1
Well,

This is disappointing. I’ve been out of town for the past 6 days and my R1T has not been driven since I left - until this morning when my wife drove it to a work conference.

On her way home, she sees the following error messages:

“System Fault Detected. Performance Limited. Service May Be Required”

“Vehicle Battery Issue. Service Truck Soon.”

Latest update was installed yesterday. Did a hard reset at Rivian Service’s suggestion. Once the brake pedal is depressed, error message comes back up. Rivian is kicking it up to diagnostics and said they’d get back to me.

I have an upcoming appointment on 11/1 for 9-10 mostly minor issues, but the other major one is that my car doesn’t Level 3 DCFC.

VIN 98XX, built 7/2022, delivered 9/12/2022, current mileage 708.

I’m very disappointed, but am confident it’ll all get fixed.

Rivian said not to drive the vehicle in the meantime. They offered a loaner or rental, but I declined since I’m out of town but requested one for my service appointment on 11/1. Also told them I’d do a short test drive 10/31 to see if it can make it up to the Service Center on 11/1.

Will post some updates once I have them. Very bummed. Love the truck.

EA92D5C1-EC60-4F21-BD22-D93237C20942.jpeg

5C13FD41-9C42-4E47-BED5-E4A0DF28A8F3.jpeg
I got a very similar message except it said that my vehicle was overheated , this started yesterday after the update, the drive mode went from all purpose to sport and would not change. I parked the car went into the store. I started driving after about 1/2 hour and the truck was fine then in about two miles the same error message came on and it went into sport mode again. This morning I took the same route and no message the truck drove fine. I going to call Rivian now

Rivian R1T R1S System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue 3CF02889-9361-470C-94CC-48945668C7EC

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just a quick update on this. My truck has been at the service center since Monday, 10/31. As of today, 11/4/2022, the system fault battery issue alert is still present.

I’m not exactly sure what they’ve tried thus far, but I’m told they’re working with engineers at the mother ship to determine next steps.

I know they’re working on other issues as well and was told they did fix my non functional DC fast charging by replacing a “central gateway module.”

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Got my truck back today!

They said a software bug causes my 12V batteries to drain. They did some sort of fix and installed new batteries.

12V batteries have low state of health and putting vehicle into failsafe mode.. Replaced both 12V batteries and reset State Of Health memory.

So nothing major is great news, but still an annoying and inconvenient glitch.

Just really happy to have the truck back!

Service experience was mixed overall, but may post that in a different thread.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Your experience was such a bummer and I’m sure that you’re happy to have it reconciled. I know I would be. My hope is that experiences such as yours will help Rivian develop a checklist to apply to future errors where a fix can be identified and made OTA or by mobile service.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I wonder if they went lithium ion for the battery if it would have less issues. I know there’s some aftermarket solutions, don’t know anyone that’s tried them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well, my battery alert is back. That fix lasted less than 48 hours. :confused:

Local SC said they are creating an escalated ticket for engineering to review.

Really bummed.
Rivian R1T R1S System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue IMG_0494
Rivian R1T R1S System Fault Detected Vehicle Battery Issue IMG_0493

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I seriously just had to look up Arizona Lemon Laws:

https://www.azag.gov/consumer/auto

This will be repair attempt 2 and it's been out of service for 8 days for repair so far and that will now increase.

My order window for an F-150 Lightning has been open for a few weeks. I've been ignoring it, but not canceling it. I seriously might go ahead and order one now and see how this plays out. I'm sure the Ford dealership would be happy to have an orphan to sell, but it'll also be a good back up if I continue having issues. Would much rather keep the Rivian, though.

New Car
The Arizona Lemon Law has a number of specific provisions. You should read the law, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau AUTO LINE Program or consult with an attorney if your new car is a lemon. Here are the basics:

The period covered by the Lemon Law is the term of the manufacturer’s warranty or two years or 24,000 miles, whichever is earlier. This covered period begins on the date of delivery of the vehicle to the consumer.

If there is a problem with the car that substantially impairs the use and value of the car and does not conform to the express warranty of the manufacturer, the consumer should report it to the manufacturer.

The report must be made during the covered period.

The manufacturer or its authorized dealers can repair or correct the defect, accept return of the car or replace the car with a new car.

There is a limit on the number of times a consumer must allow the manufacturer to repair the car and the amount of time the car can be out of service. If during the covered period, the manufacturer fails to successfully repair the defect after four attempts, or the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days, the manufacturer must accept return of the car or replace the car with a new car.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Too bad Rivian isn't actively looking at these cases and offering customers replacement vehicles. Then deep study the problem, repair it, LEARN from it, and either sell as factory refurbished, or put into service fleet.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Too bad Rivian isn't actively looking at these cases and offering customers replacement vehicles. Then deep study the problem, repair it, LEARN from it, and either sell as factory refurbished, or put into service fleet.
If repair attempt 2 doesn't fix it, I might start asking about a replacement vehicle even it'd still be below the 4 attempt Lemon Law threshold. Thing is, I spent a lot of money on a full wrap, ceramic, tint, etc. and I don't think I'd recover those costs on a replacement.

Just hope engineering really looks at this closely, does a root cause analysis, and comes up with a fix.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

…and the latest update:

Good morning, engineering got back to me regarding what was found. It looks like there was an alert regarding the High Voltage Contactors. These are a component in the battery pack that allow high voltage to travel to the rest of the vehicle. It controls the flow of electricity. We can’t replace this component by itself so we have ordered a new pack for the vehicle.

So, I’m getting a new battery pack. I have less than 800 miles on the car.

Hope they can learn from whatever went wrong here and improve future builds.

I’m looking forward to getting the truck back!
Sponsored