Sponsored

Sun Glasses Holder Mod

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I purchased a visor clip-on from Amazon for $6.79. Holds my sunglasses, ID cards, receipts, etc. Can be clip over onto the door storage flap.
Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod Screenshot_20220626-211822_Chrome
Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod 20220626_210444

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod 20220626_210554
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
PETG material specifically is tough to adhere to the bed.
I also have the Ender 3 V2..... Unfortunately, with the high temps of automobile interiors.. we're pretty much stuck with PETG. Over time I've found OVERTURE PETG very easy to work with if your reduce print speed 10-20% compared to PLA. I use the glue sticks or Magigoo adhesive with good results.

I designed the Tesla EVSE charger holder below and printed in using the OVERTURE PETG in ARMY GREEN ( and mounted on a green steel pole) and it's been out in the sun/rain/snow for almost 2 full years now and it's still in perfect condition.

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod 1656300917079

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod 1656300942587

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
yes, they fit, just not much room for anything else.
That's where I initially stored my glasses. I abandoned it pretty quickly though as access the drawer while in the seat wasn't really awesome for a bigger guy like myself.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - I have small shipment of these coming in with the Magsafe chargers on Saturday. If you want one, you should be able to order one next week.

I think they will go for around $15-16 or so. Quantities will be super limited though...

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Now available for sale. Link in my Signature - RIVIPARTS.com

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Just a quick heads up that more of these will be available starting Tuesday, August 23rd at 1:00 PM Eastern. They will remain available until the order is sold through.

The cost to me has been reduced and I've adjusted the pricing downward as well to $14. Shipping charges have been reduced as well per a new volume discount.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

Like many people who have been receiving Rivians, I've been looking for a space to store a set sunglasses that I generally keep in the car. It's was quickly apparent that there wasn't a good place and that I was going to have to be creative. I started with experimenting with 'off the shelf' commercial solutions and eventually ended up resigning myself to 3D printing something. None of the publicly available options worked well, so I designed my own, and I want to share it with you all.

I used this design from 2018 as inspiration - I printed it in my Model S (both of them) and it worked quite well. I initially thought I was going to just remix it, but that turned out to not really be feasible as they were just too different. I ended up creating a brand new design that retains some of the geometry and strain relief of the original. It looks like this:

Capture.PNG

It's designed to slip between the headliner and overhead button / IT camera housing module. It wraps around the end of the headliner for structural soundness and uses the retaining clips keeping the overhead module in place to stay in place. Its just wide enough to fit into the gap between the clips left and right to stay put from that direction as well. It's just thick enough to be very structurally sound while being thin enough to be pliable so you can insert your glasses and not deflect the overhead module plastic.

Here is what it looks like installed:

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

From my limited testing, it works beautifully. Installation is super easy as well - there are four clips that hold the module in place, toward the corners. Just pry the rear two most clips open and insert the sunglasses holder, remembering to wrap it around the headliner. Clip the module back in and your done in less than 60 seconds.

From a printing perspective, it's designed to be made in something like PETG or ABS as PLA will become too soft in the heat. (I've used PETG in the past with acceptable results) It can also be printed on it's side with a brim or raft to ensure adhesion.

Ideally, I'd like more people to download, print it, and provide feedback. If a bunch of people are interested in it, I may be willing to look into a limited production run from a 3D printing service or similar.

It's available now on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5394594
I printed this off today and cannot seem to get the sos panel loosed for fear of damaging the roof liner - is there a trick?

Thanks
Danny
Sponsored