Sponsored

StowNCharge by Adventure High Tech - Out Now!

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
I noticed a heat issue mentioned in this thread. My StowNCharge stopped working today for the first time. I immediately thought heat may be the cause since the vehicle was hot. Are others still experiencing this problem? I arrived home, went in side and came back out to test it and it worked. By this time the sun was just about down and the interior temperature was cooler.
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I had a recent heat issue as well. Would not charge when car was sitting in the sun for a few hours. Worked later that night.

@Mcdubjr is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

kpx110

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Occupation
developer
I had a recent heat issue as well. Would not charge when car was sitting in the sun for a few hours. Worked later that night.

It is the pucks themselves, they switch off when they are too hot

OP
OP
Mcdubjr

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Yes, heat can be an issue. From what I've googled Apple Magsafe chargers are only rated to work up to 95 F. A car in direct sunlight can get much hotter than this, especially in hot climates.

I've had this happen myself in the summer - the chargers started working after they cooled but it took longer than I thought it would. I've also heard from a couple customers that it seems to come back to life faster after a power toggle (either unplugging manually or leaving car for like 5 mins). In my mind the power reset wakes them up faster after some kind of safety toggle in the charger engaged but I'm really just guessing.

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I noticed a heat issue mentioned in this thread. My StowNCharge stopped working today for the first time. I immediately thought heat may be the cause since the vehicle was hot. Are others still experiencing this problem? I arrived home, went in side and came back out to test it and it worked. By this time the sun was just about down and the interior temperature was cooler.
I had this happen to me today for the first time as well. My R1T was sitting in the driveway in the sun for a few hours (usually in the garage) and I couldn't get either side to charge the rest of the day.

NOTE: Nothing on the surface of the unit above where the pucks are was warm to the touch.

Sponsored

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
It happened to me again today. I guess we need to get use to this. Carry a cable for emergencies.

Apatel323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Great idea to carry a spare charging cord. Iā€™ve been experiencing the same issue in the heat. My phone wouldnā€™t charge so when I came home, I connected the Apple MagSafe puck directly to the usb and the phone had no issues charging. I wonder if itā€™s a Rivian software update causing these issues. Itā€™s the best looking charger in my opinion.
Sponsored